Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
I spent $500 on bedding and I’m devastated
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:15 pm
Re

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:39 pm
zaq wrote:
Salut

Not to mention that overusing such terms as "devastating" and "heartbreaking" cheapens the words and trivializes genuine tragedies. Mrs. A is devastated when her linens fail to perform as expected, and Mrs. B is devastated when her chemo didn't perform as expected.... need I say more?

Except that you don't get to decide what other people find devastating.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:52 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
You have no idea what’s going on in OPs life and very often people splurge on things they usually wouldn’t have because they are at a loss for control with the tzaros going on and that’s how they rationalize the splurge that it will be a pick me up. You have no idea if OP has a child with an illness chas vishalom and when she comes home after a long day in the hospital all she wanted was to walk into a fresh pretty room to forget all her troubles. She’s may be drowning and overwhelmed and has no time to iron and this was her long awaited treat to herself. How dare you bring up your friends husband when someone posts about something that’s upsetting them what in the world does that have to do with this?! We all have people in our lives that are unwell unfortunately. There’s not one person that doesn’t have a friend or family member going through terrible yesurim. We have all lost dear ones to Covid. Yes I think the OP should know that any good cotton will crease and when it’s mixed with rayon it’s not as high quality but will not crease and will not feel nearly as good. But what you wrote was so out of line. I don’t wish any tzaros on OP and hope her life is perfect but there is no such thing as not having struggles. She could have worked 90 extra hours for this. So uncalled for and rude of you. She’s not complaining about it in real life this is her secret outlet. Just remember the Bais Hamikdash was destroyed not because people wore lace top wigs or short skirts or spent too much money on linen. It was destroyed because of how people treated one another. How they had no empathy or care for the next Yid and that is the proof that Hashem cares most about how we treat each other, that comes before anything else!

I assume you are going through some overwhelming tzores of your own, because your post was less a rebuke than a rant and something of an overreaction. I think if OP had really been at the end of her rope and this disappointment just the last straw, she would have posted to that effect. A woman who uses the same word to describe a linen malfunction that most people would use to describe Hurricane Katrina wouldn't hesitate to include her entire tale of woe.

In any event, it would have been far more effective for OP to return the merch to the store, and if the store refused to give her a refund or credit, to complain to the manufacturer.

May you find a speedy and satisfactory resolution to whatever made you go off like that.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:57 pm
zaq wrote:
I assume you are going through some overwhelming tzores of your own, because your post was less a rebuke than a rant and something of an overreaction. I think if OP had really been at the end of her rope and this disappointment just the last straw, she would have posted to that effect. A woman who uses the same word to describe a linen malfunction that most people would use to describe Hurricane Katrina wouldn't hesitate to include her entire tale of woe.

In any event, it would have been far more effective for OP to return the merch to the store, and if the store refused to give her a refund or credit, to complain to the manufacturer.

May you find a speedy and satisfactory resolution to whatever made you go off like that.

Well, you would be wrong about that.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:57 pm
I'm not sure about OP's situation, but I don't share my entire life story every time there's a "last straw".

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 10:57 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
It was destroyed because of how people treated one another.

I’m wondering if you noticed the irony in your post and it’s tone. You kind of lost me with the lace tops and skirts.????

Last edited by amother on Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 11:06 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I used to go to these well-known places in NY and I would feel the bedding and it was stiff and harsh. I also don't like most of the styles- I hate all this fancy brocade stuff.

My husband and I are super super picky, and want the softest, lightest duvet covers. After trial and error, including some of the best linen ever that went out of stock at macy's (hotel collection microcotton), we purchased on a whim this at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....b08b4

A million colors, and it's super super soft and light, and so cheap! We've had it since 2018 and don't even have a replacement set, just that one that we wash once a week. (Twice if, well, kids throw up on it in the middle of the night or something). It's worn beautifully and just get softer and softer.

I don't know when having fancy linen equaled status, but I say it's your bedroom, no one should be looking at it, make it comfortable and wearable! And don't break the bank!

This link is not for the bed sheet, can you please share that link?

groisamomma

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:33 am
OP, putting expensive linen in the dryer until it's thoroughly dried, and especially putting all the pieces in the same load, will definitely crease it. Expensive linen should be air dried. Hang each piece over a door or railing. Kids linen I dry in the dryer because they're not expensive but master bedroom linen you don't want to put in the dryer because it makes the colors fade after a short while.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 3:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi seagreen! I’m a “ grownup” who spent alot of money on a set of linen. Some linen I own crease less then others, But I paid a fraction of the price for those and that was to be expected. The higher end linens that I have definitely crease less and I was expecting the same of this new set I just purchased. As that was the words of the sales lady.

I'm done trusting linen people telling me the linen won't wrinkle. It always does. Perhaps if you wash and dry one piece at a time and have enough places to hang each piece and no little hands to pull it down and nothing else to do, then it won't wrinkle. Forgot to say that it will be a process for a whole day.

sari00

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 3:50 pm
Those sheets look amazing!! Love the purple eggplant color, lavender gray and so many colors

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 4:02 pm
I don't understand a lot of these posts.
For those nitpicking on the terminology, devastated is also defined as emotionally shattered or distraught. I took it to indicate a state of mind rather than a purely literal state of mind.
I could totally understand how someone, who decided to splurge on what she thought was better quality and was assured won't wrinkle- would be distraught if her purchase was found to be the opposite.
That is so unfair and I'm assuming there's no return policy or recourse for a refund.
What a let down and a disappointment.
I would feel so upset, feel taken advantage of, and even betrayed. (wait, am I allowed to use that word in this context?)
(Oh, I'm an adult too, and I don't know the nuances of what will wrinkle and what won't. Oh well, I guess my fabric education and homemaking skills needs to be improved.)

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:25 am
And I assume it's also against Imamother policy to correct someone on their grammar, if I remember correctly.
Sorry for the late response to this topic. Ijust came across this thread because I was washing linen and wanted to check some suggestions people shared on Imamother.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:28 am
my mother taught us that if we have nothing nice to say then say nothing

scroll on by is an important option on imamother

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 1:15 pm
I get the feeling. I bought Frette linen (at the outlet but still very expensive) and it pilled after 1 night of sleep! Before it was ever washed.
They refused to let me return it & cc also didn't help.
Unless it is perfectly ironed, it looks thin and shabby & yes I was pretty heartbroken & dh was super upset .

Sewsew_mom

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 9:24 am
It's worthwhile to just go back and make mention that it's coming out creased, maybe you didn't understand her directions. And if she admits she may say it will probably be a little creased but not overly, you can than say we'll that wasn't what I was told when you sold me the linen and it won't work for me.
Sales sales sales..
But you have the ability to go back and say what you feel in a nice way and maybe that specific person will learn not to lie when she makes a sale.
But cotton creases and the only homes you've seen not creased are usually ironed.
On the flip side it should hopefully last you a while.
My personal favorite is ikea linen, you pick the soft ones. They are amazing and also crease sometimes.. But at least you spend 40bux and not in the hundreds.

meme6

Post Fri, Sep 17 2021, 9:56 am
I have a spray that takes out the creases I will try and find the link on amazon
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry