Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
I am not allowed to talk about this where I live

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 12:02 pm
A few hours ago we found out that our house was entered by a teenager from our neighborhood who took our hidden key. This was done over Shabbos while we were away. We found out because a merchant called to verify a huge purchase someone was trying to make with one of our cards. The buyer placed the order over the internet under his name for delivery, with the card holder's particulars. The buyer claimed that the card holder is a friend and had asked him to make the purchase. Thank G-d the merchant grew suspicious and called us. He gave us the buyers first name, address and cell phone number - how stupid can a ganov be? I then checked online and found one more purchase made on this card, which is a dormant one and has not been used in nearly a year.
I called the kid, figuring out who it is based on the delivery address he had given the merchant and demanded he show up on my doorstep pronto, which he did. He denied everyting initially but then admitted that he had "found" the credit card on the sidewalk (impossible) and would pay us back every cent. I insisted he tell me how he had gotten the card, I KNEW he had been in the house, but he would not admit it. All he did was give me back the card and money to cover one charge that he made yesterday.
We then checked the house and found that money had been taken. We are quite meticulous and know the exact amount taken from each of two places. This was my children's money. I don't know how to thank Hashem for giving me the urge to hide a LOT of money, along with my laptop, before we left. I had money for safekeeping... a lot of it.
Anyway, this boy went home after he gave me the card and money to cover one purchase. He said that was all. I called him up again demanding the rest of the money stolen. I called the police.
The boy's parents are divorced. Life has not been easy for the mother. She got on the phone and I begged her to stay out of it, I don't blame her. The boy is over 17 and is responsible for what he chooses to do. The father came from out of town and asked to speak with us. He brought back some of the stolen money and did not ask us not to press charges.
The mother called crying at how embarassed she is and does not feel she can ever show her face again. I told her NO ONE WILL KNOW, at least not from us. We promised not to tell anyone. I did not tell her exactly what happened, as the police requested we not discuss it. There have been numerous break-ins and the local police have suspected a local teen, but have not been able to catch him. The mother did not seem to know that.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Amother so that no one (unless the admin if they choose to track me) knows who I am and where this happened.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 1:53 pm
Wow, what a story. What are those parents going to do ....

amother

Post Sun, Mar 09 2008, 2:55 pm
this is quite a strange and tough situation to be in. at least u got ur money back. we had a robbery and we were not home. noone has our key. they came in through a window and took a LOT of money. of course we have to say gam zu letova, we called the cops but there was no way to know who it was, and we are down a couple thousand. dont ask y we had that in the house. dont worry we dont anymore.....

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 3:56 am
OP: I had a very bad night with horrible stomach pains and woke up with bad stomach problems. My husband says I am taking this too much to heart. We are out a small amount so far, what was charged for gas on the credit card but I imagine that will work out. The money which was taken from the kids is 100% all returned. I wish I could call the mother and tell her we don't blame her but that would be stupid. She has a terrible life, this is like a nail in the coffin.
I screamed and yelled at that boy when he gave back the credit card and some of the money. How he could do such a thing with his holy body. He even has a tzaddik's name. He just kept on lying. I wonder if there is hope for him R'L.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 3:34 pm
I live in an apartment building in boro park and my husband is SO scared of a breakin he put up metal bars on all the windows, he installed a security system and we have renters insurance on all our stuff but b"h we didnt have to use it.

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 13 2008, 4:35 pm
listen - teens are human ... just because they have a tzaddiks name or are jewish does not mean they don't have issues or make the wisest of choices ...

if the police are in on this - chances are they will go after the kid for the other robberies even if you don't prosecute ...

so how can we calm down a tired exhausted mother ... who can get this kid help ... a chance to a better future ... and it would not be so bad to call the mom ... she might need a listening ear too ...

good luck to all of you ... not an easy task - but sometimes facing the truth leads to getting the help to stop in his tracks ...

apple24

Post Wed, Apr 02 2008, 4:26 pm
We had the same kind of story in my parents house once. In the end, the childs parents told us to call the police, as they wanted to teach their child a lesson. We had everything returned. But our Ganov was a lot more obvious than yours... he trashed our house... used pots to cook and left them dirty, and left empty wine and beer bottles outside the house!! What Chutzpah!!!!

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 8:19 am
so what ever happened to the kid ?!?!?!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children