Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Abigail Roberg
Previous  1  2

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you mean snake oil?
Useless, but wastes money, time, and energy because you think it will help.
The non Jewish ot I ended up using demanded to know why so many Lakewood families waste their resources on this. She couldn’t understand it at all.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 7:35 pm
Maybe the mods can take her name out and we can just discuss the service.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:32 pm
Ok I know her well. She's a wonderful woman with a heart of gold. She has her ways of thinking and doing things. She got a haskama from alot of rabbonim in the tri state area. If you don't agree with her method don't use her. She never sold anyone snake oil. That is a lie. She has a kosher cod liver oil product that she does sell. Before you criticize her or anyone else, make sure you know what you are talking about. Don't start rumors

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:38 pm
I know nothing about her but "snake oil" is an expression. Like selling people on something that is worthless and saying it solves every problem. It isn't meant literally. I have no idea who she is- just wanted to comment on the expression.

cbsp

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:41 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Ok I know her well. She's a wonderful woman with a heart of gold. She has her ways of thinking and doing things. She got a haskama from alot of rabbonim in the tri state area. If you don't agree with her method don't use her. She never sold anyone snake oil. That is a lie. She has a kosher cod liver oil product that she does sell. Before you criticize her or anyone else, make sure you know what you are talking about. Don't start rumors

FWIW, snake oil is an expression. No one is saying she sells actual (treif) snake oil.

From the dictionary
snake oil
/ˈsnāk ˌoil/
nounINFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
a substance with no real medicinal value sold as a remedy for all diseases.
a product, policy, etc. of little real worth or value that is promoted as the solution to a problem.
"the new tax plan was denounced as snake oil"

From Wikipedia
Snake oil is a euphemism for deceptive marketing, health care fraud, or a scam. Similarly, “snake oil salesman“ is a common expression used to describe someone who deceives people in order to get money from them.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:45 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Useless, but wastes money, time, and energy because you think it will help.
The non Jewish ot I ended up using demanded to know why so many Lakewood families waste their resources on this. She couldn’t understand it at all.

I think because we want cure alls without much work.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It does take work to be on top of it.
I think parents won’t leave any stone unturned to help their kids.
And many parents are more natural minded and want to try those options before meds

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:08 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
It does take work to be on top of it.
I think parents won’t leave any stone unturned to help their kids.
And many parents are more natural minded and want to try those options before meds

I'm in to diet and vitamins. I'm fine with people paying her for that info. My issue is specifically about disparging other methods when vitamins and excercises are not cutting it.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:15 pm
Please stop the lashon harah. What works for some may not work for others. STOP bashing her. If you are not HAPPY go to a therapist. But STOP this lashon harah.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:15 pm
There’s a bunch of threads you can read here about her.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 9:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think frum parents don’t want to admit there’s anything wrong with their child and if vitamins can fix their child there must not be anything g really wrong. Same reason pandas is so popular.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 1:29 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Please stop the lashon harah. What works for some may not work for others. STOP bashing her. If you are not HAPPY go to a therapist. But STOP this lashon harah.
To be frank, this is a person who is unlicensed, untrained and has influential people recommending her. Parents who are referred to her are in a very vulnerable place and she charges them an absolute fortune. And there’s a lot of pressure to listen to those recommending her. I am so thankful I didn’t get sucked in and didn’t go into debt for this. I can’t fathom what kind of impact that would have had on my family, rachmana litzlan. Ot was covered by insurance but there were those who insisted ot wouldn’t do the job and I needed this woman. I am so thankful I was spared.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)