Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Should I buy this for my daughter or not
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:08 pm
My 7 yo daughter wants a kiddie zoom
I don't have anything against it, and she is a child that barely asks for anything so I'm happy to buy her this expensive gift for her (for us it's expensive, ) it's also not her birthday or any special event

My husband said he doesn't want me to buy it. His reason is that her siblings (4yo boy and 9 yo boy ) will be jealous.

Now this reason is very triggering for me so hard for me to see straight
Please let me know what you think.

(I am one of 15 and never got anything, I always felt and I think I'm right that parents can't afford it and why would I get no one else. Bottom line I was never treated like an individual)
(Just adding not sure if it makes a difference, I made up with my husband I will buy it for her but with clear rules that she needs to share if her brothers want a turn)

Please share all your thoughts, good and bad I really want a objective look at this

Thanks everyone!!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:09 pm
What’s a kiddie zoom?

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:10 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
What’s a kiddie zoom?

Same. Is it zoom like everyone uses for school and work, but with kid safe protections?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:11 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
What’s a kiddie zoom?

She showed me on Amazon its a kids watch but you can also play game on it and take pictures

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:12 pm
My thoughts in no particular order:

- Kids should always get their own gifts for special occasions.

- I personally rarely buy my kids pricier toys just randomly, if it's not a birthday or something.

- Yes, you should encourage sharing.

- This toy looks like the kind of thing she'll be bored with in a few weeks.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:12 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Same. Is it zoom like everyone uses for school and work, but with kid safe protections?

Bi it's a watch and you can play games on it and has a camera

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:14 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
My thoughts in no particular order:

- Kids should always get their own gifts for special occasions.

- I personally rarely buy my kids pricier toys just randomly, if it's not a birthday or something.

- Yes, you should encourage sharing.

- This toy looks like the kind of thing she'll be bored with in a few weeks.

Thanks I appreciate this.
Yes she will definitely be bored of it within a week.
Her friends has it and she wants it too

What are your thoughts on a gift on absolutely no occasion for really no reason

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:59 pm
I would only buy a gift for no reason if I thought it was something really useful that could be shared by all my kids. For example, years ago I splurged on magnatiles, when they were a new toy. I bought them as a family investment, so to speak.

So for this particular toy, which is still think is a stupid kind of toy that is a waste of $, I would buy it as a family gift for everyone to share. It records videos? Maybe call it a Purim gift and have your kid record greetings/ skits to send people.

But, no, I don't buy things randomly for my kids unless there's an occasion or unless it's a necessity. They are welcome to earn money though, through extra chores.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:08 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I would only buy a gift for no reason if I thought it was something really useful that could be shared by all my kids. For example, years ago I splurged on magnatiles, when they were a new toy. I bought them as a family investment, so to speak.

So for this particular toy, which is still think is a stupid kind of toy that is a waste of $, I would buy it as a family gift for everyone to share. It records videos? Maybe call it a Purim gift and have your kid record greetings/ skits to send people.

But, no, I don't buy things randomly for my kids unless there's an occasion or unless it's a necessity. They are welcome to earn money though, through extra chores.

Thanks juat to reiterate if it makes a difference,
My daughter never really asks me for stuff

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:14 pm
Honestly, I don't think it matters. Let her "earn" some money so that her siblings see it's not just a sporadic gift. But really, you need to figure this out for yourself. Smile

Kids are very into everything being fair so that is one of my big reasons for no random gifts. But here are some of my own exceptions. One of my teens is very into computers. He asked to enroll in this online class to learn a new coding language. So that's an example of a random "gift" that I approve of. Or sports equipment that will not only be passed down but is necessary for healthy play. Even creative things like arts and crafts supplies and dressup toys I would put into the random but necessary category.

Learning

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:19 pm
I wouldn’t buy anything with computer time for a young child. They get addicted to it and the siblings are asking to try it and also get addicted and it is a downward spiral. I would try to postpone anything that includes computer use as much as I can.

mizle10

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:25 pm
Learning wrote:
I wouldn’t buy anything with computer time for a young child. They get addicted to it and the siblings are asking to try it and also get addicted and it is a downward spiral. I would try to postpone anything that includes computer use as much as I can.

It’s nothing like computer time, it’s made by vtech and is very unsophisticated. It’s more similar to a baby toy with lights and songs for an older child.

I know not what you asked for OP, but my girls got them for a present and used them for maybe 3 days. So if it’s more than you would usually spend on a toy consider getting something else exciting instead.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:35 pm
mizle10 wrote:
It’s nothing like computer time, it’s made by vtech and is very unsophisticated. It’s more similar to a baby toy with lights and songs for an older child.

I know not what you asked for OP, but my girls got them for a present and used them for maybe 3 days. So if it’s more than you would usually spend on a toy consider getting something else exciting instead.

Right I realize that.

My main concern is that she wants it so so badly and she really never asks for things

mizle10

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right I realize that.

My main concern is that she wants it so so badly and she really never asks for things

I would buy it for her as incentive for finishing a chart. I wouldn’t not buy it because her brothers will be jealous.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:44 pm
Why can’t you say you’re buying it for the family since they will probably all enjoy? Thank her for the good idea.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:46 pm
I would make a chart for her to finish to earn it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:46 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Why can’t you say you’re buying it for the family since they will probably all enjoy? Thank her for the good idea.

I can't buy 1 kiddie zoom for 3 kids

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:47 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I would make a chart for her to finish to earn it.

Feel funny saying this bc she obviously not perfect but she really is a good girl. Bh . I can't think of Any type of chart she will need , she just does whatever she supposed to

Iymnok

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:48 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I would buy it for her as incentive for finishing a chart. I wouldn’t not buy it because her brothers will be jealous.

Exactly, I’d make her earn it. 2-3 weeks is usually about right.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks juat to reiterate if it makes a difference,
My daughter never really asks me for stuff

It seems important to her. If you're OK with the device, show her that you value her and care abnout what's important to her. If she doesn't have a birthday coming up, make a chart for her to earn it. If it's super important to her for now, ask her of she'd like her afikomen present early.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics