Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Stories of Ru'ach Hakodesh in Baby Naming
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:09 pm
Do you have an inspirational story on baby naming?

It might have been following a pregnancy filled with uncertainty and debate regarding the name, and then when meeting the baby, you and/or dh just knew, and got a hunch of what the name should be.

It could have involved the spouse unrelated to a deceased relative, suggesting with unexplained reason to name after him/her, or anything else...

Please feel free to share and inspire!

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:11 pm
This is kind of an opposite situation. I had a feeling for what to name my son, but I was forced to name him a different name. I hate the name. I have a very difficult time calling him by his name. And I still feel like he looks like/acts like/talks like the original name that I wanted. So technically, yes....? I did have a gut feeling that works....?

miami85

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:19 pm
So I don't know how much this helps you but basically with all but my 2nd I was fairly certain what gender it was going to be and we were going to name after a certain person.

Two in particular, my husband's grandfather passed away just about 4 years ago this week and I found out I was pregnant on Purim, I pretty much KNEW it was going to be a boy. But in the months leading up to him being born we had to prepare a girl's name also, so we came up with a girl's name. Then the next time I was expecting I felt pretty certain it was going to be a girl and we couldn't even come up with a boys' name that we both liked--on the way to the hospital we had narrowed it down to 5.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:25 pm
Anon because I've told this story to people.. I felt like I really wanted to name after someone who perished during the holocaust. I don't have many female relatives to name after and after my daughter was born and I looked at my baby and told my husband that her name is "Rivka*(not real name)" you could choose a second name if you'd like but I strongly feel that this is her name. Anyways I told my great grandmother her name and she called me back later that day and said I was trying to figure out where I knew that name from.. My father had a young sister named Rivka* whom he cherished and he was able to escape Europe and wanted to bring her to the US. She didn't come because she was engaged and she ended up dying in a cattle car on the way to the camps.. It felt so unreal that we named our daughter that name because it was a name that we never spoke about before birth.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 2:32 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Anon because I've told this story to people.. I felt like I really wanted to name after someone who perished during the holocaust. I don't have many female relatives to name after and after my daughter was born and I looked at my baby and told my husband that her name is "Rivka*(not real name)" you could choose a second name if you'd like but I strongly feel that this is her name. Anyways I told my great grandmother her name and she called me back later that day and said I was trying to figure out where I knew that name from.. My father had a young sister named Rivka* whom he cherished and he was able to escape Europe and wanted to bring her to the US. She didn't come because she was engaged and she ended up dying in a cattle car on the way to the camps.. It felt so unreal that we named our daughter that name because it was a name that we never spoke about before birth.

Great Story

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:33 pm
When we were discussing names by my third child, we both had one child named after our side so it wasn't certain which side we would name after. When my husband mentioned my grandfather's name, I got so emotional, saying "the world doesn't know what they lost when they lost my grandfather" and that was the end of the discussion. It was just so clear right then and there.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:38 pm
My grandfather said the wrong name by my fathers bris. They had already picked out Jacob in English on the birth certificate for Yaakov and he said by the bris Yitzchak... so his name is Yitzchak and his English name is Jacob 😆 LOL

heidi

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:45 pm
I didn't love my grandfather's name but I did love and respect my grandfather. The child named for him is the only one of my children to have a cleft in his chin,
just like my grandfather. He's also the only one of my children with a beautiful voice and who's a baal koreh. Also just like my grandfather.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:46 pm
I had this with my daughter. She was born around a certain chag where there was an obvious name to name her. My husband and I discussed this name during the pregnancy and decided against it since neither of us were particularly fond of it. Meanwhile we couldn't decide on any name that we liked. A few hours after she was born we were both sleeping and we were suddenly startled and groggily woke up and in my Haze I said "I we should name her x" which was the obvious name we discussed during the pregnancy. In my husband's Haze he agreed and we both fell back asleep. A few hours later when we actually woke up we said "did we really agree to name her x??" But it felt right. We named her the obvious name and it totally fits her!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:51 pm
Anon and name changed because I've told this story in IRL

When I was pregnant with my first, DH and I just couldn't decide on a potential name for a boy. For me this was very upsetting because I had convinced myself it was a boy ( LOL ). Anyway I hadn't paid much attention to girls names. I had asked my MIL to send a list of family names months earlier, which she did, and none clicked. Then two weeks before I gave birth, my FIL randomly mentions something about his mother. My DH and I asked what her name was and we both liked it right away. Apparently my MIL had only sent names from her side of the family ( Can't Believe It ).

Anyway story doesn't end there. We only had part of her name. We knew it was Leah but we didn't know what her middle name was, just that it started with an R. We tried and tried to figure out what the R stood for. It was most likely Rochel! But maybe it was Rivka? We had no idea but we figured we'd choose a name for a girl with the same beginning letter at least.

Fast forward to after I have given birth. It was a girl!!! DH and I were still figuring out what to do for the second name. The night before the baby naming, while I was still at the hospital, we decided to go eat dinner together as a family in the parlor area of the maternity ward.

As we're eating, a whole bunch of people come filtering in. Apparently there was a family member who had had twins and everyone came to see the babies, only 5 visitors allowed in the room at a time, so the rest were waiting in the parlor. As we were leaving, the great grandmother of the twins ooed and ahhd at our baby girl. She asked if she had a name yet and we said no. She took a good look at the baby and said, "you know what's a good name? Rachel! That's a beautiful name!" I was stunned and said thank you, leaving the room with a smile on my face. Turns out we had our answer given to us in the most unusual manner....

Needless to say she was quickly named Leah Rochel and I have had no regrets!

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:52 pm
IDK so much about ruach hakodesh, but...

We were expecting twins. Despite all the sonograms they could never tell us the gender. We had picked out two boys' names and couldn't find even one girl's name we liked. I had a strong feeling, based on nothing at all, that we were having two boys. This is strange, because usually if they don't find evidence that it's a male, the assumption is it's a female. I thought we'd be af tzurris if we had a girl but still couldn't think of a single name for a girl. We had two boys.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:55 pm
This just happened to someone I know. She named her 1st kid for her husb side bec her grandmothers are living. 2nd kid she knew it was a girl, she asked her parents if they had any names they wanted her to give, they said no you can pick anything. She remembered that her grandmother lost a sister w.o having children who had a Yiddish name which she preferred not to give. She mentioned to her husband to find out the Hebrew of it but they both forgot and picked a name out of a hat. After the naming a friend called her up and said I gave the same name as you after a person who’s Yiddish name was ___ and it was the same Yiddish name as her grandmothers sister. She chose a Hebrew name oblivious to its Yiddish counterpart .. she was very freaked out

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 3:59 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
My grandfather said the wrong name by my fathers bris. They had already picked out Jacob in English on the birth certificate for Yaakov and he said by the bris Yitzchak... so his name is Yitzchak and his English name is Jacob 😆 LOL

Amother Orange! I know someone whose husband had the same thing happen to him (English name Jacob and Hebrew name Yitzchak)! Lol

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 5:43 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Amother Orange! I know someone whose husband had the same thing happen to him (English name Jacob and Hebrew name Yitzchak)! Lol

That is too funny!!! Maybe it’s my father lol. (It’s not..)

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 6:06 pm
So with our first we hadn't settled on a name yet when she was born. After the birth dh went home for the night. While I was feeding the baby that night I had a strong feeling for her name, nothing we had discussed until then. Morning came, dh came, and we both said at same time 'I thought of the perfect name!' Long story short, we had both separately thought of the exact same name!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 6:21 pm
We had picked out the name of our baby boy to be Yaakov and we'd use a common nickname. His bris and naming was delayed a while as he was in the hospital. His nurse started calling him Jacob and said he just looked like one! Then a Polish woman we were talking to said to call him Yacob! We just nodded and said it was a nice name and didn't say anything until after the bris!

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 6:55 pm
My ex husband and I are divorced for a reason...maybe lots of reasons. Naming our children is NOT one of those reasons!

To put it politely, we come from 2 different planets (and we might live on 2 different planets too).

That said, for our kah 2 children, we barely discussed names. I think we spent maybe 45 seconds before either child was born, and probably less than 5 min after they were born, and we agreed on the names immediately. FYI We didn't know the genders of the babies before they were born.

In fact, with our son, he suggested the first name (which was actually different than what we'd briefly thought about before he was born), and I said ok. It's not a common name in our circles or has a typical middle name. I immediately got an idea for a middle name, but I just asked xh if he wanted a middle name, and if so, what? He chose the exact name I was thinking of.

For our daughter, she was named within hours of her birth due to the day of the week (Shabbos). xh had to leave early to get to shul from the hospital. We spent literally 5 seconds talking about the name. I asked him what name he thought, he shrugged and gave a name. I immediately said, ok. He ran off to shul. I didn't talk to him until after Shabbos, but yes, he did name her that. True, it's a common name in our circles, but there are lots of common names too.

I think the clear sign both times were from shemayim was because it was probably the 2 times xh and I ever agreed and decided on anything so quickly.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 9:05 pm
A girl in my high school is a BT from Russia. She was coming to America on her own as a teen. She had become frum after attending some camp in Russia, but to her parent's disappointment. Before she left home she was told to choose a Jewish name, as there was going to be a big kiddush to name all the girls in the group before they came to America. She tried asking her parents for family names, but they refused to tell her, as they were unhappy with her decision overall. In her words: "something pulled me to choose the name Rachel. Only later on I found out that my choice was 'min hashomayim'. Both of my grandmothers shared the name Rachel!"

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 9:13 pm
At one point, I promised in my mind to name my next girl after a certain Rebbetzin. I didn't tell this to anyone, it was a private decision.

When my next baby was born, I was thrilled to find that it was a girl. We had not discussed names in advance.

DH turns to me and says, "I have an idea for a name."

I interrupted him and said, "No, I already decided what we're naming her."

Surprisingly (or unsurprisingly), DH had the same name in mind as me! That was wonderful, but the story didn't end there.

A few minutes later, my phone rang. It was a relative who needed a favor, and didn't know that we had just had a baby (we had only informed our parents at that point). When he heard it was a girl, he congratulated us, and then asked, "Are you looking for name suggestions?"

I answered, "Maybe, what do you have in mind?"

Sure enough, it was unanimous! (We didn't tell him at the time of course!)

It's a perfect name for her!

zigi

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 9:18 pm
I had zero idea about what the name should be. My doula happened to mention that she liked a certain name. Later on I was holding him and trying to see what name fit I went back to the name she mentioned. We added Chaim to it. He had some health scares so the Chaim was an important addition
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names