Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Stories of Ru'ach Hakodesh in Baby Naming
Previous  1  2

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:43 pm
I wanted to name my child 2 names, and after we decided on a name we found out that the names we chose were from dh's great grandparents (he didn't know their Hebrew names)!

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 10:49 pm
I can't name after my grandfather whom I loved dearly because DH has the same name. So when I found out I was having a girl, I named her after his only sister. My grandmother was not happy and said the person I was naming after had passed on at an early age which is why no one is named after her and I shouldn't use the name either. Our rabbi said it's ok as long as we add on a middle name, I figured my grandmother's the one who's so worried that I'd name the middle name after her.

Fast forward to me filling out this daughter's school form when it came time and I have to write down the Hebrew spelling of her name so I wrote her first and middle name in Hebrew. And that's when I saw it, her name IS my grandfather's name if you rearranged the letters, there are no additional letters that don't fit in, it's the same exact letters as his name!

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 11:14 pm
One of my girls is named after a very beloved aunt who passed away without descendants. The problem was that my husband’s ex wife has the same name. Baby was born erev shabbas and she got named on shabbas. My husband swallowed his pride and named after my aunt. I found out Motzai shabbas , as I spend shabbas in the hospital.

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Feb 17 2021, 11:45 pm
I love this subject!! :-)

My firstborn: It was my first pregnancy and I reaaaalllly wanted a baby!! I knew before I was pregnant that the test would be positive. And when I saw the 2 pink lines, they might as well have been blue, because I immediately had this knowledge of BOY. (I was right). I'd always had a ton names I liked all lined up to pick from "one day" (since high school! I love names!). But then when I was pregnant, none of those names were right, and in fact I used to feel physically nauseous to the point of "I'm going to vomit" if I considered a "wrong name," no matter how much I loved the name! With my first child, my husband suggested Meir Leib, after his grandfather. Neither of those names appealed to me previously, and I still wasn't so into them when he suggested it. Then, somewhere along the 7 month mark, I was getting ready for bed and suddenly just KNEW, "That's his name, like it or not." Fast forward, I LOVE it now and he's TOTALLY Meir Leib, no question!

My twins: There were a few ruach hakodesh in play with their names. One in particular is extremely meaningful and special, because it relates to the baby we lost to miscarriage in between our firstborn and the twins, but my husband and I promised each other to keep the specifics between us and I'm honoring that. Aside from that, one cool thing is that with our son Yehuda Moshe, my husband and I both came up with the same name on the same day, independent of each other, after months of brainstorming and vetoing everything in sight. Our daughter is Basya Itta, and I was ADAMANT about it even though I felt conflicted knowing there were family members who probably expected us to pick a specific other name. We considered that name, which I also liked, but it wasn't her name and I'm really glad I stuck to my gut instincts. That story is cool from a ruach hakodesh perspective because I never even gave thought to the name Basya before that, and in fact, I was always sure that of all the Hebrew letters, the one I did NOT want in my kids' names was saf. (I get very insecure about taf/saf confusion for whatever self-conscious reason, and I didn't want it in my kids' names lol), and then suddenly Basya was my favorite girls' name in the whole world. So, yeah... it was a done deal!

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 4:57 am
Fun topic!
DH and I always loved a certain boys name but we weren't able to use it for many year because we either had a relative to name after or had girls. When we finally had a boy and didn't have anyone to name after, it turned out that the name we loved also went perfectly with the time period when he was born so it was a perfect fit.

When one DD was born, I told DH that she looks like a Sarah (not the real name). DH thought it was strange to choose a random name for no reason so we went with something else. Her name is beautiful and she loves it but I still think she is such a Sarah. Oh well! Maybe her mother in law will be named Sarah and we'll know why we didn't name her that Wink

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 7:44 am
For one brother, the mohel is bringing him back to my mom after bris and says "mazal tov on FirstName SecondName " and my mom goes "no, FirstName MiddleName" very similar sounding. So they go to the tape (video cameras were new and used ) my dad said SecondName. Mohel said they could add MiddleName. My mom thought FirstName SecondName MiddleName would be too much. So they left it.

SecondName is a trait name, and my brother really exemplifies this trait

Roots

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 8:47 am
by my daughter it was really hard
by my 3 sons I had a feeling thwe whole pregnancy what to name- and we ended up using those names.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names