Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Biden - should I take out student loans
Previous  1  2  3

number

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 8:24 pm
When I was in college if you jumped through a bunch of hoops, got just the right degree and worked exactly the right sort of job after you graduated you could get some sort of loan forgiveness as well. Lots of people counted on it but didn’t end up fulfilling all the conditions. It wasn’t worth it for me to start.

Will they now start forgiving loans for any degree, and regardless of what sort of job you take when you graduate? Maybe, but it would be a first. I wouldn’t take it to the bank for sure.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 11:01 pm
The way I see it is .. world isn’t responsible to pay your loans .. you want to go to school it’s your responsibility to get a job that’ll pay you to cover it ..

With that being said
Biden has only said up to 10k on federal
Loans only that are for undergraduate school .. not private lenders and it’s also based on Your income ... if you making 25k or less a year you'll be forgiven otherwise it’s a percentage a year off

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:55 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Same, nobody irl in same situation. I didn't know I can still take out for spring, that's good to know! Especially bec cost of attendance for summer is much lower
I've also already paid for the semester, so the money wound come to me.
I think it's worthwhile, 10k would be so helpful right now! Just need to be careful to set aside money to pay back the loan if he doesn't forgive it...really hope he does!

Btw, I checked with my accountant, who doesn't see what there is to lose.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:57 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
The way I see it is .. world isn’t responsible to pay your loans .. you want to go to school it’s your responsibility to get a job that’ll pay you to cover it ..

With that being said
Biden has only said up to 10k on federal
Loans only that are for undergraduate school .. not private lenders and it’s also based on Your income ... if you making 25k or less a year you'll be forgiven otherwise it’s a percentage a year off

Of course not, but if the rest of the class gets their loans forgiven and I spend the next xx years paying crazy high taxes because they got theirs forgiven, shouldn't I get something out of it, too?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:25 pm
I just want to thank everyone for helping me and educating me about this topic.
When I created my op, I was really not knowledgeable about this topic.
I also want to thank Yael for keeping it open.

I ended up taking the money (in time)
I may not agree with the concept and the long term effects, but if I wouldn't have, and the rest of my class received the 20k while I didnt because I am fiscally responsible, that would have really hurt.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:33 pm
The loan forgiveness is only for loans disbursed by June 30, 2022. It doesn't help for new loans.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:34 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
The loan forgiveness is only for loans disbursed by June 30, 2022. It doesn't help for new loans.

I posted this before June 30, 2022.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:35 pm
amother Seablue wrote:

The original op was from a year ago so I hope she benefited.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 9:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
I posted this before June 30, 2022.

Oh, good! I just saw the date from the last post. I'm glad you were able to get it in time.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics