Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BJJ vs. Bnos Sara (Time Sensitive)
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 12:44 am
We need to make decision today. We know they are both top seminaries and we can’t really go wrong with either one, but any information about the learning, crowd, advantages/disadvantages of each, etc. to help guide our decision would be much appreciated.

TIA

cat81

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We need to make decision today. We know they are both top seminaries and we can’t really go wrong with either one, but any information about the learning, crowd, advantages/disadvantages of each, etc. to help guide our decision would be much appreciated.

TIA

May I ask What’s the rush? Bnos Sarah doesn’t release their acceptance letters until March 1st.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:21 am
High Schools typically receive a certain number of slots from each seminary, which they have some leeway in giving to the students, who are acceptable to that seminary (which may be more than the number of their allotted slots). They don’t want to waste a BJJ slot (for example) on a student, who will not go there, so they want a commitment now, or they will give the slot to a second choice student, who they know will take it. (All this wheeling and dealing has to take place before the official acceptance letters go out - hence the time constraint).

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 1:58 am
Bnos sara is more oot really nice girls type. Bjj has mainly Lakewood, and trinstate area girls.
What type is your daughter

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 4:11 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Bnos sara is more oot really nice girls type. Bjj has mainly Lakewood, and trinstate area girls.

Dd is in BJJ this year ( we had to decide between bjj and bnos Sara). Most of her friends there are from oot. It’s a large seminary so there really are girls from everywhere. She loves the girls, the level of learning, and the teachers.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 7:25 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:

DD is very bright and intellectual. She has a very good memory and loves to learn. She is lively, outgoing, and very much a leader (think G.O.) and she likes to think for herself. We are from the (NY) tristate area, and she has only gone to Yeshivish schools/camp. She is not fancy or materialistic (no designer clothing, etc.), and she wants to learn and grow. Sincerity, frumkeit, and hashkafa are important to her, as is a high level of learning.

She has several friends, who applied to both - and all of them applied to BJJ as their first choice and Bnos Sara as their backup choice. Even so, we were leaning towards Bnos Sara, because of what we heard about their program and learning style, but several of her friends have told her that they met girls at the Bnos Sara interview with smart phones and/or know applicants, who are also applying to Meohr, Bnos Chava, etc. so we are trying to get an understanding of both the learning level/style and the likely student body at both schools.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 7:42 am
BJJ has a lot of oot girls, def not mostly Lakewood. Bnos Sarah has a more diverse population tho, which may be what she noticed at her interview. (My daughter went to Bnos Sarah.)

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 7:47 am
You remind me of a mother of a "top' boy trying to decide between fabulous possibilities, and looking for the smallest flaws to help decide.

Don't go there. Let DD go with whichever one she is inclined towards, or make a weighted list together of your own pros and cons, or flip a coin.

Mazel tov, she sounds like a wonderful girl who will be"H have a wonderful year either way!

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 7:48 am
My dd wanted a yeshivish seminary and her mechaneches in school told her that crowd in bnos sara was more diverse. She didn't apply. She only applied to bjj.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:02 am
My daughters went to bjj very recently. Every room has one Lakewood girl, one tri state girl, and one “oot” which can even mean Passaic or Waterbury.
One of my daughters who was really very recently there, counted thirty something out of towners in the whole school.
We love oot so it’s interesting for us to note.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:21 am
I agree with imasinger. What is your DD looking for?

I went to BJJ about 25 years ago, and I think it used to be more diverse than it is today. There are so many seminaries now, and I think that took away some of the diversity. When I was there, BJJ was like a conglomerate of several different seminaries today.

My younger sister chose to go to Bnos Sarah (also quite a few years ago), and she loved it. It's true you will find more diversity there. She retained her strong BY identity, while enjoying the perspectives she gained there.

I think it would be good for your DD to define what she is looking for.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:26 am
I went to BJJ I was the OOT - Canada so it was a great experience for me to be with all the girls from the New York and tristate area. There were at least 5 or 6 from Europe and more from Canada and rest were what you consider local. If ur dd is only looking for a more OOT vibe go to Bnos sara if she just wants a nice mix and not high on list go for BJJ

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:28 am
Plus in BJJ pretty much every girl was head of something in high school including myself. So ur dd shd fit right in

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 9:35 am
B"H to have such a choice op, very happy for you! Those are are both the top seminaries, so she will do beautifully in either. You should have much nachas from your wonderful daughter!

cookies6

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:01 am
Both schools are great choices. My daughter was in Bnos Sarah two years ago. Great mix of top girls from all areas. Lots of GO, play heads, etc. Smart girls. Probably somewhat more diverse and OOT than BJJ. Her best friend was in BJJ and a large percentage of girls were from Lakewood. As far as your daughter noticing girls with smartphones, etc and applying to other very different seminaries - it doesn't necessarily mean that those girls are the ones who will be accepted. Many, many girls apply.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:08 am
For myself, when I was in BJJ, what I loved about it was girls who could have fit into other seminaries - the diversity was a huge plus for me (there were no smartphones those days, but there were other things.)

And I know girls who went to BJJ (recently) who have smartphones too....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:32 am
Thank you to all who graciously responded with brachos and good wishes. We know this is a “1st world problem,” and B”H she will do well at either seminary. I am leaving the final choice to her, but am weighing in with advice, as requested. As noted above, DD wants to learn and grow. Sincerity, frumkeit, and hashkafa are important to her, as is a high level of learning.

She compiled a list of pros and cons for each last night, and we are no closer to a decision. These are her lists:

BJJ

Pros
-Top (Better?) Name seminary
-Friends going there
-Very Good learning
-More Yeshivish crowd
-Nicer dorm
-Better food

Cons
-Not as open-minded
-Bigger & colder

vs.

Bnos Sara

Pros
-More open minded
-Harder learning
-More warm
-No gimmel or daled class
-Hardworking crowd
-Not into fluffy shtick
-More independent learning

Cons
-Less Yeshivish crowd
-Not as good reputation?

Is anything on her lists inaccurate?

cookies6

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:36 am
I would say Bnos Sara reputation is just as good or almost as good as BJJ

cookies6

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:38 am
I have a daughter going next year also who also applied to Bnos Sara (older daughter went there 2 years ago). She didn't even consider BJJ. Another con of BJJ is that the teachers are quite elderly and not as relatable. Also, they do not let the girls out of the dorm this year and that might continue into next year (because of Covid and elderly teachers).

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 18 2021, 10:40 am
I agree BJJ has the top name. My sister got into BJJ and another seminary and everyone said ooooh BJJ it has the name. It sounds good for shidduchim (a BJJ girl). She was back and forth and someone told her BJJ is like Harvard it’s all the name. She went to BJJ and got tons of shidduch suggestions

I didn’t care about the name went to seminar wasn’t interested in working hard and didn’t get names for shidduchim. My mother was calling shadchanim for me. I got married older.

Bnos Sara might be amazing but BJJ has the name
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics