Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dandruff and flaky scalp

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 2:59 am
My 10 year old girl has always dandruff and flaky scalp in her hair.
How can I stop them?

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 8:35 am
Which shampoo does she use? My girls were using pantene & head & shoulders & had terrible dandruff. They switched to suave kids and the dandruff is gone.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 9:06 am
Improved a lot here when we treated for yeast and strep. Dandruff or seborrhea often have a fungal or bacterial component.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 10:58 am
Rotating between selsun blue and tgel helped.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:49 pm
Any special way how to wash it and how often.
Or sleep with hair open or tied back?
Air dry or blow dry?

I am at the 4th different shampoo.
(Alberto balsam, E45, dove, now head & shoulders)

I really want it sorted for her.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 1:24 pm
One way to prevent dandruff is to make sure you rinse out all of the shampoo thoroughly. I learned this from my friend who is a cosmetologist. She said that is the primary reason people get dandruff. So, if the kiddos are taking a bath, have them rinse their hair under the tub's faucet, because just pouring water or dipping in the tub water to rinse the shampoo isn't enough to get out all the shampoo.

Also, using a vinegar rinse treatment before applying the conditioner helps. I would have them lean back on a bath pillow and I would run the rinse through their hair, focusing on the scalp. (Mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of water). If the smell is bothersome, you can also add a drop or two of an essential oil to the mix). Rub it gently at the scalp. Let sit for a couple of minutes then rinse. This should take care of the dandruff within a few treatments. I would have them cover their eyes all the time with a dry washcloth, to prevent it from getting into their eyes.

If you don't want to try the mix, you can also find the rinse made by different hair care companies on-line. Oh, and make sure they don't have any scratches on the scalp because the vinegar rinse would sting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children