Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can’t deal with throw up
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:00 pm
I hate throw up with all my heart and I’m still traumatized from throwing up when I was pregnant. Last night I had to deal with throw up for the first time- my 1 year old threw up twice. I always thought that when my kid throws up it’ll be a different story because I love them, but I honestly had a hard time picking him up and hugging him with throw up everywhere! I had a hard time dealing with the whole thing (not to mention how do you change sheets while holding the miserable child). I almost feel guilty for not wanting to immediately pick him up and hug him. When he threw up the second time I came in just as he was finishing and I couldn’t bring myself to pick him up as he was still gagging (I rubbed his back instead and picked him up after).
How do you experienced moms handle this?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:04 pm
Husbands!! Especially In middle of the night vomit is a 2 parent job!

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:06 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Husbands!! Especially In middle of the night vomit is a 2 parent job!

This. Usually DH deals with the kid while I clean up and change linen.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:11 pm
Not all husbands will deal with throw up... I just dealt this week with my baby throwing up a few times. The first time was all over me. I lifted her to the changing table, stripped and changed her and handed her off to someone else so I could shower. The second time was all over couch which thankfully had a blanket and sheet covering it that I just threw in the wash. And the third time I was BH able to direct it to the floor, put her in the crib, and cleaned it with an old towel. I don't hug them till they're cleaned up lol.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:11 pm
My husband literally throws up every time one of our kids throw up. I gag and try to hold my breath but it is what it is.

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:12 pm
Same! My 1 year old threw up all over the carpet yesterday and I was gagging while I cleaned it up. I put him in the highchair with a drink and only picked him up once the majority of the vomit was off the floor.

PeanutMama

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:19 pm
Oh I’m impossible with throw up.

I gag and dry heave as I’m cleaning up.

My husband handles it better. He just holds his breath lol.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:20 pm
I have this question about blood. I freak out when a child has a small cut.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:22 pm
We divide and conquer. I deal with blood and poop. Dh deals with vomit.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:24 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
We divide and conquer. I deal with blood and poop. Dh deals with vomit.

Mostly this in our home also.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:26 pm
Glad to see I’m not the only one! I felt so bad because he was miserable as he finished and I wanted to hold him and comfort him but ahhhh
I also don’t want my kids when they’re older to think I’m grossed out by what they did and be ashamed
I managed to catch DH between night Seder and maariv so he came home for a few min to help me but if he hadn’t I don’t know what I would’ve done! Plus I have another toddler in the same room who woke up from the noise and was freaking out
What is DH isn’t home? Like if it’s early in the night

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:29 pm
I never minded my kids worst diapers, but throw up? OMG! NO. Over the years somehow it always worked out that when a child threw up DH was around, or very close to being home - and it was his mess to deal with because I just couldn't. Actually, there was an occasion or two where I apologetically asked a housekeeper to deal with it because DH was going to be away several hours still. Only once - ONCE - when I was home alone with a sick kid who puked on my brand new furniture and there was no hope of another adult coming around any time soon did I suck it up and do it myself. It was a dreadful experience that ended with me running to the bathroom to throw up too. Good times. Good times.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 12:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Glad to see I’m not the only one! I felt so bad because he was miserable as he finished and I wanted to hold him and comfort him but ahhhh
I also don’t want my kids when they’re older to think I’m grossed out by what they did and be ashamed
I managed to catch DH between night Seder and maariv so he came home for a few min to help me but if he hadn’t I don’t know what I would’ve done! Plus I have another toddler in the same room who woke up from the noise and was freaking out
What is DH isn’t home? Like if it’s early in the night

When DH isn't home I change the kid first, put him in the stroller with a blanket and then I clean up. I get very nauseous....

HeartyAppetite

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 1:23 pm
First clean up the kid. You don’t have to hug or kiss the child. Then deal with the mess. I find if you pour baking soda in the vomit it helps with the smell and it’s easier to clean up.

smss

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 4:20 pm
Exposure therapy! You can go to an actual therapist, or just being the mother of small children will help eventually Wink

silverlining3

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 4:47 pm
I can't handle vomit either, I gag. But I don't hug a child with vomit all over.. 1st strip and change child, sit them down on your bed or floor in their room and change linen/clean up mess, then go and hug them. Child feels gross too. When husband is around usually I take care of the child while my husband cleans the mess.

baked ziti

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 5:20 pm
I have a different problem. I have a phobia of this. I can't even bring myself to say the word. I am always anxious about throwing up or my kids doing so. I put on a tough face with my kids because I don't want to pass this phobia on to them though. Am I the only one? Sad

TravelHearter

Post Fri, Feb 19 2021, 5:44 pm
baked ziti wrote:
I have a different problem. I have a phobia of this. I can't even bring myself to say the word. I am always anxious about throwing up or my kids doing so. I put on a tough face with my kids because I don't want to pass this phobia on to them though. Am I the only one? Sad

You mean a fear of throwing up? My worst nightmare

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 12:39 pm
baked ziti wrote:

Emetophobia is a real thing. My DD has this. I have no idea how she got the phobia, because I always treated vomit as a fact of life, just like pooping.

She can't even stand to hear anyone gag. She'll panic and run out of the room. Even at school during an important test. She's is SO sensitive! She's also extremely fearful. Just say the word "flu" to her, and she'll turn pale.

My theory is that from an evolutionary perspective, it makes sense that our instincts are to avoid diseases and food poisoning. Something in our primitive brain tells us that we want to stay away from danger. It's the same way we want to stay away from spiders and snakes - some of us just have stronger triggers than others. (I used to have a pet snake, but a common house spider will send me climbing up the walls!)

CBT therapy can help a lot in reprogramming your response to triggers. NLP therapy is excellent for dealing with triggers that cause panic attacks.

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Feb 20 2021, 3:05 pm
I started a thread about emetophobia a while back. Nope you're not the only one. I had it really bad, went to therapy. It helped somewhat, but still pretty bad...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics