Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Looking for a smaller community with fantastic schooling
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 9:48 am
The school in the beautiful community where we live has unfortunately started going downhill the past few years, and our children are really unhappy. We're looking for a (preferably small) yeshivish/mixed community which has great schooling (elementary and girls HS), where students` wellbeing comes first and they're just happy to go to school!

Any suggestions?

mha3484

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 9:52 am
This describes my experience in Chicago and my kids are not easy kids. They LOVE school.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 9:55 am
mha3484 wrote:
This describes my experience in Chicago and my kids are not easy kids. They LOVE school.

Which schools do they attend? And are they hard to get into? I'm also not sure we can afford Chicago (big city) housing...

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:06 pm
St. Louis? My contacts are older so idk the current scene.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:24 pm
What about Cleveland Ohio?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:38 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
What about Cleveland Ohio?

Which schools there do you recommend?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which schools there do you recommend?

There are 3 options for elementary- YDT, Hebrew Academy and Mizrachi
Depends what you're looking for- YDT is the most yeshivish, Hebrew Academy is like a typical OOT yeshiva day school and Mizrachi is MO style/Tzioni
Girls high schools- there's Yavneh which has a great great reputation. I'm not sure if YDT has a girls high school, could be they did at one point?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:41 pm
if moving for schooling I suggest you speak to A LOT of people in the community. I sent my kids to a school that was supposedly amaaaaaaaazing. Well we ended up switching out and we weren't the only ones but even just recently it was recommended on imamother. for some people it's obviously working. I find it often works until it doesn't and then it can be pretty bad...

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:47 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
There are 3 options for elementary- YDT, Hebrew Academy and Mizrachi
Depends what you're looking for- YDT is the most yeshivish, Hebrew Academy is like a typical OOT yeshiva day school and Mizrachi is MO style/Tzioni
Girls high schools- there's Yavneh which has a great great reputation. I'm not sure if YDT has a girls high school, could be they did at one point?

YDT has a girls HS.
There are a few boys' options too.

Do not move to Cleveland if your kids need extra interventions. One of the schools in the above quote is not really equipped to help, past a little title I, and I think it's the same in another of those schools. probably all three.

They want you to get the jon peterson scholarship for kids with ieps, which means you can't get the tuition vouchers for those kids.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:53 pm
Also, what do you call fantastic schooling, education-wise? Or do you just care that your kids are happy when they are in school?

etr

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 12:55 pm
Orlando

mha3484

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 1:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which schools do they attend? And are they hard to get into? I'm also not sure we can afford Chicago (big city) housing...

My boys are in Yeshiva Tiferes Tzvi. My daughter is still a toddler. I feel like it’s a warm happy place. I like the direction they have taken in terms of discipline over the past few years.

I have one son who has struggled behaviorally and I felt the school really did their best. My son in pre1a is having a hard year due to a series of COVID quarantines and he gets kriah and English reading help in school and speech in school. I don’t need to pay for tutors and shlep him out of school.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 1:10 pm
Quote:
Also, what do you call fantastic schooling, education-wise? Or do you just care that your kids are happy when they are in school?

I have the same question. To me these have nothing to do with each other. My kids love going to school everyday. But they learn nothing

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Ideally, I would want them to both be happy and learn a lot. But if I have to choose, I'd pick a school where they're happy and don't learn much over a school where they learn a lot but are unhappy. Having an unhappy school experience can cause emotional damage which can last for years.

I would hope there are schools out there which are both. With smart, warm teachers who make a relationship with their students and teach their subjects in interesting, engaging ways. Where the welfare of the students is the paramount consideration.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 1:38 pm
etr wrote:
Orlando

Which schools?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 3:16 pm
I've heard that Chicago is very well-equipped to handle more challenging students! Smile

There is no perfect school.
My kids are in a school with excellent kodesh teachers, but many chol teachers are less-than optimal... Very few excellent chol. Gotta roll with the punches.

Maybe if OP tells us examples of what she doesn't like about her schokl, we can be more helpful.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 3:28 pm
vienna austria

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 4:12 pm
I can't advise since I haven't personally sent there, but look into Philadelphia - I looked into the community at one point (didn't end up moving due to personal/job issues) and it seemed like the kids were really happy and well cared for in Politz - boys and girls. I did not see high schools.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 4:43 pm
I have a lot of concerns about one of the schools posted, but I am afraid to say anything because of lashon hora. Yoish, how is the Op supposed to get current, accurate information this way? But I feel like why should I tell my concerns if she's probably not even going to move to that community? Does anyone who is very schooled in hilchos shemiras halashon have any good advice here?

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 6:26 pm
I agree. I don't know Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics