Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I need help.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 9:32 pm
The situation with my weight seems to just get worse and I can't fit into my clothes. I'm getting more depressed about this each day, yet my habits aren't changing at all. Sometimes I have very good days and I think "okay I'm finally getting on track" but then I totally lose it. I even had a good 9 days or so in a row, most consecutive days I can think of. I was feeling so much better, and had lost weight but then I just somehow lost it with stress and not only undid it all I had accomplished, but went even further up the scale yet again.

There are a LOT of factors that are problems here. I'm under a lot of stress for so many reasons. We've been getting free (govt) weekly food boxes ever since COVID started and it's so tempting to just eat free food and I'm always curious about foods and have to try everything. I never cook, ever. It's really sad but somehow I'm just a wreck, life is as unorganized as it's ever been and I don't plan.
Another issue that is probably my biggest problem - I have a hoarding issue and somehow my house being a terrible mess is affecting my ability to make right choices in other areas. I've become so lazy in ways that I just don't recognize myself anymore. I'm really not sure why but I feel lethargic so much of the time. It doesn't help that mealtime is generally very stressful in the house because each kid needs negotiation every night to come up with what they will eat for dinner. It's a daily battle. Then I end up eating everyone's leftovers. I wish I could have a dieting buddy or something, how could I do that?

What can I do? What sort of accountability plan would help me? I have terrible insurance that won't cover anything. Really open to all suggestions. I would like to lose 20 pounds but I'd feel good about losing even just 5 right now. I'm worried that things are going the wrong direction. I really feel horrible and hate when I see pics and videos of myself now. The difference is very noticeable to me. Somehow this doesn't stop me from binge eating in ways I never used to do, and I don't know why.

Another change for the worse that I can think of is before we just didn't have so much food around the house and so there wasn't so much to cheat on. It's not like that anymore. My kids are older so we have tons of snacks and things around that I would have never bought before. I hate feeling like I have zero self-control. What do you to overcome this?

Thanks for reading.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 9:38 pm
The nutrition place I go to takes all insurances except for Medicare

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 9:46 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
The nutrition place I go to takes all insurances except for Medicare

Where is that?? My insurance said they don't cover any services like this..

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 9:53 pm
OP: what insurance do you have? Some insurances do cover nutritionists, but not all.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:09 pm
OP, you sound so completely overwhelmed. Are you sure now is the time to try to lose weight?

Maybe focus instead on self-care, including making yourself nourishing meals and eating until you are full. Give yourself a few minutes of sunshine, water with some flavor if you like that, and try to go to sleep a little earlier.

The weight loss may happen on its own. But either way, you'll be likely to be in a better place, and better able to make plans and stick to them.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where is that?? My insurance said they don't cover any services like this..

https://www.thedietitiangroup.com/
If you have insurance and not a health share you should be covered. Call and find out.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:40 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
OP, you sound so completely overwhelmed. Are you sure now is the time to try to lose weight?

Maybe focus instead on self-care, including making yourself nourishing meals and eating until you are full. Give yourself a few minutes of sunshine, water with some flavor if you like that, and try to go to sleep a little earlier.

The weight loss may happen on its own. But either way, you'll be likely to be in a better place, and better able to make plans and stick to them.

Thanks, you might be right. It’s hard to say because everything is cyclical. I find that being overweight also causes me to “perform” more poorly in other aspects of my life. I don’t know what to address first but there are so many habits and issues I need to address.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:40 pm
op I was just going to write a post like yours. I have food in the house for the kids ...that is hard to resist...im not talking about cakes...cookies etc bec that we have for shabbos, but even carbs like bread etc I must be careful because I have metabolic syndrome so its so hard that I see it bec its there for my kids....

and, the other poster wrote about self care...thats also a factor because the more stress, the more the body holds onto fat due to higher cortisol which causes higher insulin....im like you, op, im feeling trapped as I just wish I didnt have to serve supper/be there for suppertime and then I wont have the temptation...like you, I dont have time to focus on my nutritional needs.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:41 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
https://www.thedietitiangroup.com/
If you have insurance and not a health share you should be covered. Call and find out.

I’m skeptical but will call thanks. I have a rare sort of insurance, it’s not a known name.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:43 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
op I was just going to write a post like yours. I have food in the house for the kids ...that is hard to resist...im not talking about cakes...cookies etc bec that we have for shabbos, but even carbs like bread etc I must be careful because I have metabolic syndrome so its so hard that I see it bec its there for my kids....

and, the other poster wrote about self care...thats also a factor because the more stress, the more the body holds onto fat due to higher cortisol which causes higher insulin....im like you, op, im feeling trapped as I just wish I didnt have to serve supper/be there for suppertime and then I wont have the temptation...like you, I dont have time to focus on my nutritional needs.

Yes exactly all this. I think having a support group might help.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, you might be right. It’s hard to say because everything is cyclical. I find that being overweight also causes me to “perform” more poorly in other aspects of my life. I don’t know what to address first but there are so many habits and issues I need to address.

I know what you mean, I don't struggle with weight (I'm just overweight and I ignore it), but I also have the cyclical issues all building up on each other and no clear starting point.

Still, I stand by what I said. Dieting is also a stress, and I don't think you need a new stress now. It may be the one shouting loudest, but it's not the most important.

Eating well, whether or not it brings weight loss, will REDUCE your stress. Sleeping even just an extra 15 minutes, drinking an extra glass or two of water, spending just a few minutes outside, all of those will reduce your stress. If you can do one or two of those things, but especially feeding yourself, I think the avalanche will slowly start to recede. You're a valuable person, and you deserve to be fed.

And then, once you are feeling less overwhelmed by life, you can choose if you want to diet or not. But it should be a clear choice, not an act of desperation.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:07 pm
Weight is the least of your issues. You need to organize your life. Could you have undiagnosed ADD or executive function issues? You may need adderall or another medication to energize/motivate you. Everything should NOT be a struggle.

I'm regards to hoarding, do 15 minutes of a corner of one room a day and you'll be done in a month. Don't do a whole room. Choose one section and get rid of stuff. Buy storage bins or shelves/cubby with bins to store things. Having a functional house is so important.

I had a lot of similar issues and couldn't deal with my weight until the rest of my life was in order. It all affects everything else. I have so many tips and shortcuts for non cooking healthy meals and home organization. I'm low energy and lazy but I get it done.

If you're interested I can try to type more when I have more time.

spikta

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 6:19 am
I think it might be helpful, instead of focusing on what you shouldn't do (snacking, tasting things from the box...) to focus on what you should do. I think that making sure that you eat full, healthy meals, would be a great first step.

Can you start by doing some meal/menu planning so you're not so overwhelmed by feeding the kids that you can't feed yourself?
I have a few very picky kids, so I planned a weekly menu that is basically a list of all the things they agree to eat without too much arguing. On days that they don't like the main they can have a yogurt (it literally says that on the menu so they don't feel like they're being ignored). I make the same stuff every week. They really like knowing what's coming, so there's a lot less arguments.
You don't even need to do this yourself. I had the kids write up a weekly menu, just made some adjustments.
If you're getting boxes on a weekly basis, you can plan for the week after you get the box, or you can have a basic framework, and just fill things in when you get the box.

A dinner of chicken nuggets isn't the most healthy meal in the world, but you know what? It's better than 5 cookies, a bag of chips, a cheese stick, 3 pizza crusts and a chocolate milk. Slice up 2 veggies or fruit, serve with bread or rice, and make sure you get enough to eat so that *you* are full, and you don't find yourself wandering back into the kitchen half an hour later for something to snack on.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Weight is the least of your issues. You need to organize your life. Could you have undiagnosed ADD or executive function issues? You may need adderall or another medication to energize/motivate you. Everything should NOT be a struggle.

I'm regards to hoarding, do 15 minutes of a corner of one room a day and you'll be done in a month. Don't do a whole room. Choose one section and get rid of stuff. Buy storage bins or shelves/cubby with bins to store things. Having a functional house is so important.

I had a lot of similar issues and couldn't deal with my weight until the rest of my life was in order. It all affects everything else. I have so many tips and shortcuts for non cooking healthy meals and home organization. I'm low energy and lazy but I get it done.

If you're interested I can try to type more when I have more time.

Yes, please. Interested in tips.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:03 pm
How about overeaters anonymous?
It might give you the support you need...

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes exactly all this. I think having a support group might help.

OP it sounds like you'd be a great candidate for TLC, its a jewish version of OA, amazing support group and amazing program, where are you located?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise