Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I'm losing my mind - help!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 10:50 pm
My almost-11-month-old's sleeping habits are going downhill. She used to at least go to sleep nicely, but that happens only about half the time these days, when she's really tired. the other times she shrieks as soon as I put her in her crib, even if she was half asleep only moments before.
Then she usually wakes up anytime within the next 3 hours or so - sometimes once, sometimes, three times... sometimes she'll go back to sleep right away when I go in and stroke her hair and talk to her in a calming voice for a minute. sometimes it takes longer.
But lately she's been waking up at night and REFUSING TO GO BACK TO SLEEP. This tends to happen at about 1 or 3 in the morning, and she'll just cry unless I'm bent over the crib stroking her hair. singing used to work, but not so much anymore, unless I'm standing inthat position (which as you can imagine kind of kills my back). She gets annoyed if I even sit down.
Or sometimes this happens: she's calm as long as I'm sitting there, but if I try to get up and sneak out of the room and back to bed - wow, she will yell! And the worst part is I can be sitting there quietly for a half hour or more and then I'll lookat her and her eyes are WIDE OPEN! at 3 in the morning! WWHY isn't she too tired for this???
Now she's crying on and off. I went in a couple of times already and she was sitting up and begging me to take her out. I don't understand how she's not exhausted - she only took an hour nap at 12:00 today and she was tired for most of the afternoon, and then she fell right to sleep after her bath earlier.
I NEED HELP.
I'm losing my mind.
I get woken up 2 or 3 times a night and sometimes I end up staying up for an hour and a half! I need to sleep like a normal person!
And tonight I was supposed to do homework, but can you guess if that happened?? (Spoiler alert: it didn't.)
Is this normal???
Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:04 pm
My first did that at around that age also. I was going BANANAS!

I took the No-Cry Sleep Solution book, moved myself and baby to the living room for a few days, and literally spent all night teaching him how to fall back asleep.

The good news is that he did figure it out in the end.

I still have had some babies that will not stay asleep unless I "sleep them" (meaning I have to have them in my bed and basically nursing all night) but have not had to deal with too many night wakers, because I WILL NOT play in the middle of the night no matter what!

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:07 pm
Did you check her out medically? (I.e. ear infection, teething)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:14 pm
There are multiple sleep regressions. They happen every few months. Last a week until you retrain them.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:15 pm
Wow, this sounds EXACTLY like my baby- down to the age and gender, even!
I can't offer any help, but maybe some sympathy!!!
I also feel like the sleep deprivation is eroding my mind. I was okay for the first 6 months or so, but now it's gotten much harder.
Maybe we can daven for each other's sanity Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Did you check her out medically? (I.e. ear infection, teething)

Call me crazy, but I don't think it's an ear infection. She's never gotten one and isn't exhibiting any symptoms. She does have a bit of a lingering cold/cough, though - maybe that's it? Maybe. I might bring her back to the doc just to make sure.
If it's teething - and I'm not sure it is, because it's been going on for a few weeks already - what should I do about it in middle of the night? She needs sleep too!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:28 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
There are multiple sleep regressions. They happen every few months. Last a week until you retrain them.

It's lasing significantly longer than a week, but even so - if you say so to "retrain them", my question is how to do that now, because I am fresh out of ideas.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:30 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Wow, this sounds EXACTLY like my baby- down to the age and gender, even!
I can't offer any help, but maybe some sympathy!!!
I also feel like the sleep deprivation is eroding my mind. I was okay for the first 6 months or so, but now it's gotten much harder.
Maybe we can daven for each other's sanity Smile

Oh, please let's! I'm going nuts and I'm also pregnant now so I REALLY need to sleep!! And iyH hopefully starting a new job..,. this is not the time for shenanigans!! LOL

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Call me crazy, but I don't think it's an ear infection. She's never gotten one and isn't exhibiting any symptoms. She does have a bit of a lingering cold/cough, though - maybe that's it? Maybe. I might bring her back to the doc just to make sure.
If it's teething - and I'm not sure it is, because it's been going on for a few weeks already - what should I do about it in middle of the night? She needs sleep too!

If she has a cold/cough it might be fluid in the ears. Fluid in the ears can sometimes be painful too. I would suggest to rule it out.
If it's teething, Tylenol should help. I dunno why you think it can't be teething even if it's going on for a few weeks. My baby now, teethed heavily for like - weeks at least till the tooth popped. Heavily means, I literally felt the tooth under my babies gums thinking it's popping any day. That any day took 6 weeks. Bh I got 2 for the price of one but plz it can be so painful.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 21 2021, 11:44 pm
tweety1 wrote:
If she has a cold/cough it might be fluid in the ears. Fluid in the ears can sometimes be painful too. I would suggest to rule it out.
If it's teething, Tylenol should help. I dunno why you think it can't be teething even if it's going on for a few weeks. My baby now, teethed heavily for like - weeks at least till the tooth popped. Heavily means, I literally felt the tooth under my babies gums thinking it's popping any day. That any day took 6 weeks. Bh I got 2 for the price of one but plz it can be so painful.

It's not so much the fact that it's going on for a few weeks, it's more just a feeling, I don't know how to explain it. Like she really a seems fine, just she gets wide awake at random hours and I don't know why. But don't worry, I didn't rule it out, I did think of it already and may just give her Motrin or something if this doesn't improve.
Still looking for more ideas though Wink

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My baby was like this. Happy as anything during the day but cried when I layed him down in the crib at night, woke up multiple times during the night. Had a very mild runny nose. No fever. Ended up being an ear infection that I couldn't get rid of and required antibiotics 3x until it was finally gone bH. I slept him in the swing during that time because being upright wasn't painful for him but laying down was. So I would definitely check it out before assuming.

hfam

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 12:35 am
Your baby may have a medical issue that is bothering her sleep. You should have the Dr. check her for ear infection, worms, teething etc.
My experience as a mother of 6 is when you have a child that normally sleeps well and all of a sudden is waking up at night and giving you a hard time, there is a reason behind it, usually medical. I wish you much hatzlacha and health and restfulness!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics