Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey-any info appreciated!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 9:00 am
So we are really really leaning towards moving to Monsey. But I was looking for some info from all different diverse voices (thats why I love imamother) on different neighborhoods and areas! People have been telling us new hempstead, because its younger, housing is cheap there, etc, are there any places similar to that? anyone want to "compare and contrast" neighborhoods? tell me about shuls and different schools and stuff?

also, with regard to new hempstead in particular, what are the views on here as to the frumkeit of that area? We want somwhere that is "black hat," but not necessarily "yeshivish" (ie-if we wanted strictly yeshivish, wed be moving to lakewood. were a bit more to the "left" of that, like we watch movies and stuff...)

im sure this has been talked about somewhere before on imamother, but I can never figure out how to use the search feature, so I figured id just start a new thread, whats the harm.

thanks in advance for your opinions and comments!

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 11:02 am
no one arnd here from monsey??

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 11:48 am
The whole New Hempstead area is that type black hat but not as yeshivish as Lakewood. Like the couples will go out to restaurants in Manhattan togtether and things like that. There are many different areas so I would suggest you call a broker and go from there. I could give you broker's numbers if you want buy you would have to give me an email address for that.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 11:57 am
thanks for the new hempstead info amother ...are there any other areas like new hempstead? im just trying to be open minded and know what all my options are. I think that new hempstead though is pretty much what were looking for. we just started searching now, we hope to find something and move over the summer....

if you have any info like on realtors and stuff, can you email it to cookiemaniac22@gmail.com. My husband has a cousin who is a realtor in monsey, but we dont want all our family business being "advertised..." real estate agents arent like doctors and arent goverened by laws of confidentiality, we dont need random people and cousins knowing how much were looking to spend, what we can afford, how much our parents are helping etc.

thanks in advance!!

any more info will be greatly appreciated!!

also, another question - in brooklyn it has been relatively easy to find a frum full time babysitter. will I be able to find one in monsey too? and what about cleaning help? how much do people tend to pay for a cleaning lady? same as other areas of ny? or will I be paying more since its farther from NYC itself (thus less people to clean=more demand for those few people = higher prices?)?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 10:39 am
What perfect timing! DH and I are also very seriously considering moving to Monsey this summer as well. We were told to look at not only New Hempstead but Wesey Hills and Pomona as well. We're also looking for the same type of community you mentioned.

Although I doubt we'll be in a position to buy. Are there any rentals in these neighborhoods or apts for rent? What sort of prices for rentals for like a 2 or 3 br?

Are there a lot of young couples in these neighborhoods??

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
What perfect timing! DH and I are also very seriously considering moving to Monsey this summer as well. We were told to look at not only New Hempstead but Wesey Hills and Pomona as well. We're also looking for the same type of community you mentioned.

Although I doubt we'll be in a position to buy. Are there any rentals in these neighborhoods or apts for rent? What sort of prices for rentals for like a 2 or 3 br?

Are there a lot of young couples in these neighborhoods??

Im the OP, so I dont know how much my answers will help, because im probably nearly as clueless as you. new hempstead is apparently "THE" area for younger couples who have babies/young kids-just starting out type. I know NOTHING about pomona, but would be interested in finding out more, please post anything you know about the community. Wesley Hills, according to my husband, is a bit more modern than new hempstead, but I WISH I could find a ton of people to correct that notion of his (if its indeed not true), b/c it would open up alot of possibilities when browsing thru houses...

there are definitely rentals available, lots of houses I see when I browse, are also available for rent. I dont know about the 2brs because were looking only for 3 or more brs, but there are smaller 3br homes that are available for sale OR rent, that start in the mid 300s, and you can rent them for 2-something per month. I have no clue about apartments and stuff, because its not in our ballpark. I would try google housing, thats kindof what ive been using. just type real estate monsey, or real estate 10952, then use their search feature. its pretty cool.
good luck 2 u 2. maybe well b neighbors Smile

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 11:09 am
Oh wow, thank you so much for the info!!

I'm going to check google housing right now, I've never seen it! ANy info I find I'll be sure to post for you!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 11:15 am
thanks amother. no one else seems to be posting....im sure theres people on this forum who live in monsey, where are they???

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 11:22 am
I agree, there must be!!! It's very hard trying to research Monsey because there are so many different neighborhoods and neither DH nor I have actually ever been there and we're currently living abroad so it doesn't make things any easier.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 11:24 am
amother wrote:
I agree, there must be!!! It's very hard trying to research Monsey because there are so many different neighborhoods and neither DH nor I have actually ever been there and we're currently living abroad so it doesn't make things any easier.

lol well then ur worse off than I am I guess. for us its just an annoyingly long drive right now. but in the next few wks well prbly drive out on a sunday to look at a few homes. ill post any info I find as well, I would love to find out more abt pomona wesley hills or other places. so far were kindof sticking to new hempstead because ppl have told us thats young, not too modern, and we do have a few friends who are living there.

ilovestrollers

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 1:29 pm
Wesley Hills and New Hempstead border on each other, so you might find a house in Wesley, there is really in the New hempstead community. I really don't know much about Pomona. I think it is a little more modern then new hempstead, the houses in Pomona are nicer, but real estate taxes are way more. Amother, I emailed you about a broker, some good websites for search for houses in monsey are www.prudentialrand.com
and www.ghvmls.com. On prudential, you can search for new hempstead, and then see the houses on a map, I can tell you good streets if you would like. Also, check out realtyteams.com It is a popular real estate agency in monsey.

slimnglam

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 6:53 pm
feel free to pm me about monsey. I live in wesley hills. IMO, new hempstead is more modern than wesley hills.

LibraMommy

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 7:14 pm
[quote="slimnglam"]feel free to pm me about monsey. I live in wesley hills. IMO, new hempstead is more modern than wesley hills.[/quote

I've been told that New Hempstead is more Yeshivish than Wesley Hills. So which area is less modern than W.H. and N.H.?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 8:56 pm
I live in Monsey but...UCH! Monsey? Ok if you have to move here- ok but....uch. Just my opinion. Though if you're coming from the city (Brooklyn, etc.) I guess it could be seen as a breath of fresh air but if you are an out of towner...

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 9:13 pm
[quote]I live in Monsey but...UCH! Monsey? Ok if you have to move here- ok but....uch. Just my opinion. Though if you're coming from the city (Brooklyn, etc.) I guess it could be seen as a breath of fresh air but if you are an out of towner...[quote]

I totally agree with you amother. I moved here from Brooklyn, and although there are some conveniences here, like not having to always look for a parking spot, the rest is UCH!!!!

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 9:28 pm
I just moved out of Monsey - I agree with the uch idea - one of the reasons we moved is b/ we didn't want to raise our kids there. Something you may want to consider is also the eruv - if you hold by it. It doesn't extend to everywhere and that includes parts that may be called WH or NH, etc... and as far as I know Pomona has no eruv at all. Pomona is newer and has a chabbad there. Also more $$$ frmo what I recall. WH and NH flip flop from which is more yeshivish. Both have lots of young families and some more 'established' ones. I would try to spend Shabbos in both areas and daven there (see what minyanim are like). If you'd like I have friends in all the Monsey areas and can help set you up for Shabbos (pm me). Ther is also South Monsey which has a growing young community and is still rel. affordable.

We spent 18 mo. going (read searching and spending Shabbos) from one community to another across the US and Canada, so please feel free to pm me and I can share some of our experiences and what we looked for etc...

I will be away until Monday coming - funny enough I will be in Monsey for a chassuna!

oh ya, another thing to look for is the schools, it is helpful to see where you may be sending your child(ren) if applicable, that may also help narrow ideal locations!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 9:30 pm
ilovestrollers wrote:
Wesley Hills and New Hempstead border on each other, so you might find a house in Wesley, there is really in the New hempstead community. I really don't know much about Pomona. I think it is a little more modern then new hempstead, the houses in Pomona are nicer, but real estate taxes are way more.

well, if its leaning toward more modern, then its probably not for us. we are looking for basically like a flatbushy type of crowd, but perhaps a it more chilled out. but still, black hats on shabbos, heimish, etc.
ilovestrollers wrote:

Amother, I emailed you about a broker, some good websites for search for houses in monsey are www.prudentialrand.com
and www.ghvmls.com.

yea, I have houses from both those sites from google houses lol Smile
im going to call the broker tomorrow iyh thanks a ton

ilovestrollers wrote:

I can tell you good streets if you would like.

would you mind if I emailed you like 10 addresses and you could tell me if those are "good" (ie frum and normal) streets? we havent seen any of these houses "in person," they look pretty online, but who knows maybe its a mile from teh closest shul. I know monsey is more spread out....

[quote="LibraMommy"][quote="slimnglam"]feel free to pm me about monsey. I live in wesley hills. IMO, new hempstead is more modern than wesley hills.
amother wrote:
totally thought the OPPOSITE!! based on what I heard on this site, and what I heard IRL. can you elaborate? what makes it more modern? is it just younger, so the couples just seem more "with it" like in how they dress and stuff? or is it really like a more modern crowd (which isnt exactly what were looking for.
I really dont want to reveal my identity, but if you have an anonymous email address, could you pleeease send me an email to the email address I have listed above? I would have questions for you too, but I dont want potential neighbors to "chap" who I am lol...

[quote="amother"]I live in Monsey but...UCH! Monsey? Ok if you have to move here- ok but....uch. Just my opinion. Though if you're coming from the city (Brooklyn, etc.) I guess it could be seen as a breath of fresh air but if you are an out of towner...

lol....were coming from brooklyn. so to us, its a MAJOR fresh breath of air. land, no alternate, no honking late at night, etc. but its still close enough that we could go home for supper, not have to take a day off from work to go "away" to our parents for shabbos, etc. its also just enuf distance from my in laws (albeit that also means distance from my parents...but they work in the city and im there every day too, so it all works out), that theres not alot of "pressure," but not too far and out of townish that wed be miserable. like we also looked at passaic, but to us,that was toooo out of townish for us. and cedarhurst seemed a bit more modern, I cant explain it. maybe modern is the wrong word - more american, more yu yeshivish, and less heimish. I dont know, monsey just seemed to have all we were looking for, plus the commute to the city = same amount of TIME as commute from bklyn, however the downside is we might need to drive no more trains, but the monsey well be saving on not having to park our two cars in our apartment lot (350 per month!), well be saving, and so thus, the ezpasses, parking at work, etc, will HOPEFULLY kindof even out....whatever....were excited...dont tell me its all bad!!

ilovestrollers

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 9:37 pm
Feel free to email me!

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 9:37 pm
Monsey is not all bad, it's just not for everyone. that's why I recommend spending Shabbos there, meeting people and seeing the community in action for yourself. Schooling is also an issue (space, so I would start lookig now, even if you are only thinking of it, so you have a space, same goes for gan katan and daycares). Monsey has lots to offer, it just wasn't our cup of tea.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 9:50 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
I just moved out of Monsey - I agree with the uch idea - one of the reasons we moved is b/ we didn't want to raise our kids there.

montrealmommy wrote:
Monsey has lots to offer, it just wasn't our cup of tea.

sorry to be annoying, but care to elaborate as to why? thats kinda why were leaving bklyn lol...I dont think its "fair" to a kid, so much pressure, no space, everything just seems soo uniform sometimes, and trust me, I AM the "give into the rat race" type, we do all the designer clothes, nice cars, nice trips, etc, and STILL, sometimes I say, what on earth, sure, if we can afford it, its nice to provide ur family with all these things, but is this REALLY the attitude (entitlement etc), that we want our kids to be exposed to from the age of 1 onward?? so just out of curiosity, what about monsey was so bad, if you dont mind....
to us, it was kindof like: brooklyn was getting to be too much (for above mentioned reason PLUS), prices were so high, alternate side parking and pains like that, crazy traffic at all hours, honking, no space, everyone and anyone is always in your daled amos, its like you cant breathe. moving "out of town" wasnt an option, because of jobs and school and stuff. in addition, "out of town" is a whole different cup of tea and isnt what we want at all for a number of reasons (first being chinuch, not alot of options when there are like two or three schools). we looked at passaic (we had a random cousins shabbos sheva brachos and the only reason we went was to kindof spy on the community), but it was a bit too much of an "out of townish" feeling for us, coming from brooklyn and all. it was TOO chilled out. then there was cedarhurst, but aside from the whole snobbery issue, which some argue is more "toned down" in cedarhurst than in lawrence (I personally didnt find that to be the case across the board, but thats irrelavent), it just isnt "our crowd," frumkeit wise, IDK how to explain it, its just more maybe "american" or "YU yeshivish" and less heimish...I realy cant pinpoint it, just we wouldnt feel comfortable there....but monsey on the other hand, from the shabbosim weve spent there (admittedly, with relatives, in forshay and olympia, so older parts, so wouldnt be the same "crowd"), it seems like the type of people we associate with and stuff, and we felt quite comfortable....
montrealmommy wrote:

Something you may want to consider is also the eruv - if you hold by it. It doesn't extend to everywhere and that includes parts that may be called WH or NH, etc... and as far as I know Pomona has no eruv at all.

well considering the fact that people have said pomona is a more expensive and b a bit more modern, ive crossed it off the list, and im pretty much sticking to wesley hills and new hempstead. but thanks for that reminder, I kinda just assumed there was an eruv everywhere, I will be sure to check it (or have a broker check it) on each house now before I commit myself!
montrealmommy wrote:

Ther is also South Monsey which has a growing young community and is still rel. affordable.

this I havent even heard of! could it have a differnet official name? because on all the maps I get on all the websites (like prudential, etc), I SEE wesley hills, I SEE forshay, I see names of neighborhoods, but I dont see s monsey. am I missing it? id like to look there too now that you mentioned it.
montrealmommy wrote:

oh ya, another thing to look for is the schools, it is helpful to see where you may be sending your child(ren) if applicable, that may also help
narrow ideal locations!

our ~ideal~ (boys ) school is veretzky in brooklyn. but you know what? I am pretty sure we will be able to find a similar school with a not so litvish, more chassidish leaning mentality in the area. I sure hope so. we still have a couple years till actual yeshiva searching, but youre right, I will discuss that further w/ my husband.

montrealmommy wrote:
even if you are only thinking of it, so you have a space, same goes for gan katan and daycares).

thanks for that advice too....once we 100% decide were going to do it (ie not when we close on the house, but when we really pinpoint a house and get the whole ball rolling, hopefully in the next two months), I will be assertive and find one asap, not wait till late summer. thanks Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating