Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Monsey-any info appreciated!
Previous  1  2

montrealmommy

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 10:51 pm
Ok, I will try to do my best to answer your questions:

1. Why we left Monsey: my husband and I grew up in out of town communities in Canada (me a suburb of Montreal, him a suburb of Vancouver) - US and Can. mentalities and attitudes are very diff. We are both BT's. We found (our personal opinions) that in Monsey you are pretty much a nobody unless you have yichus or $$$$. Now for some, they want to be able to live thier own lives and not be bothered. We both grew up where community was that - everyone was actively involved. Since we have no yichus and almost no $$$ it was clear that our chessed efforts (which were up till then being utterly ignored) will stay that way. We wanted a community where if we chose we could make a difference and be actively involved. Also, I work for a Yeshiva in Monsey and heard many many horror stories of the chinuch system and it petrified me (very much NOT what I was looking for. Housing is very $$$ and on dh's salary and mine I don't think we could have ever afforded a house without mortgaging the kids. We have never been in debt really, B"H and didn't want to stay in a place where school and housing would probably end us up there. I also found that there was a lot of 'keeping up with the Cohens' which is not my speed. Women wearing suits t work that I would wear to a chassuna. Sheitles everywhere (I don't own one), and very cookie cutter (we are not at all). Just in case you are wondering, dh was learning at Ohr Somayach and wanted to live near his Rebbeim after we got married, so we made the move very last minute, but that is for another therad and another time. As I said earlier, Monsey has many many tovos and wonderful attributes, but the big picture was not for us. I felt very much like an outsider who could never belong and did not want my children to feel that. I don't weat a shetile or sweter sets. I shop the discount racks at wal-mart and sears. I don't wear jewlery or makeup. I am pretty simple. I am also proud of my past and who I was. I found that many bt's act as if there was nothing before becoming frum and that made me very sad. I have some wonderful friends there and miss them, I also miss some of the Monsey conveniences, but overall, I do not miss Monsey.

South Monsey is the part of Monsey that is south of route 59 (if you are coming down 306), I will try to find out if there is another name for it. You can ask a realtor about that area (Park Ave is a main street there, also Saddle River Road and Chestnut Ridge are main streets) also Rabbi Shore lives there (so a frum realator should know what neighborhood it is). There is also an expanding area off 59 "behind" the Tuvia's strip mall - when we moved almost a year ago many homes were up and many more were in the process. Blu neder when we get back from Monsey I will post some more info as I am drawing blanks on names of places and what not. Thanks

Squash

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 11:47 pm
I think the name for s monsey is betsem parkway or something like that.

mrsrj

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 9:43 pm
It's so funny that you are looking into New Hempstead. I am originally from New Hempstead, and I only have great things to say about it! It's the type of neighborhood where EVERYBODY is friendly to one another, you dont have to worry about standing out, or living next door to a rich snob... The beauty of it is that it is a mix-yet everybody gets along so well! The age range is mid 30's- grandparents. If you're looking for a younger crowd you might wanna consider Victoria Gardens- which is all apartments or Wesley Hills- which is all houses. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating