Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Dh has to work late on Thursday night
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:07 pm
He got a extra evening job from 5:30 to 8:30. He started recently and doesn’t want to ask for a day off because they agreed that he won’t wok on Friday night and Shabbos. Wwyd

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:29 pm
Do you have little kids that you can’t just both go to a later Megillah reading? Can you find someone to babysit so you can?

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:31 pm
He should go to a later minyan. Not a good idea to ask for a day off when you are a new hire.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:37 pm
What’s the issue?

Fave

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:44 pm
You support him to show that you appreciate the effort he is putting in to provide for the fellow.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 9:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He got a extra evening job from 5:30 to 8:30. He started recently and doesn’t want to ask for a day off because they agreed that he won’t wok on Friday night and Shabbos. Wwyd

Take his lead and let him decide what he needs to do.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:08 pm
I didn’t know that there is a later minyan. We live OOT. The latest I can see online is 7:45pm

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I didn’t know that there is a later minyan. We live OOT. The latest I can see online is 7:45pm

Ask around, even oot there are people who will go to housebound people to read the megilla for them, they are used to extra people joining.
For years, my father would go after he broke his fast to lein for my elderly grandparents, often people would call and ask if they could join. There very likely is someone doing a private reading later at night.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:16 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Ask around, even oot there are people who will go to housebound people to read the megilla for them, they are used to extra people joining.
For years, my father would go after he broke his fast to lein for my elderly grandparents, often people would call and ask if they could join. There very likely is someone doing a private reading later at night.

Dh doesn’t want to advertise that he took a second job so he doesn’t want to ask around. I was hoping to find a shul that has late megila reading

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Dh doesn’t want to advertise that he took a second job so he doesn’t want to ask around. I was hoping to find a shul that has late megila reading

You don't need to give a reason. My father certainly never asked why when people called.
There are all sorts of reasons why someone needs a later reading, and honestly nobody really cares. Could be anything from being a poor faster & needing to recover, child care, an evening appointment, an evening college class, etc.
One year I joined the late night read because I had bad allergies and didn't want to disturb anyone's hearing of the megillah! I knew in somebody's house no problem, the reader would stop and wait for my coughing fit to end.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:27 pm
My DH has to work late too. He's going to a later reading. He was actually contemplating not going because he didn't want to "bother anyone". Rabbi said it is required and added another reading for the "late nighters".

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:34 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
My DH has to work late too. He's going to a later reading. He was actually contemplating not going because he didn't want to "bother anyone". Rabbi said it is required and added another reading for the "late nighters".

I will tell him to ask the rabbi of our shul. But I hope he will not feel obligated to read to Dh alone or stick him with the women.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:38 pm
If there's Chabad there, ask them - they usually have Megillah readings at all hours.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:44 pm
You need to ask your LOR, but this is what I heard.
If he has a kosher Megillah he can follow along with a zoom Megillah reading
Can he borrow a kosher Megillah

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 10:46 pm
Truthfully, if he has a kosher megillah he can read it to himself. You don't need to hear the trop of the leining, you just need to hear the words (and you can read it yourself).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 22 2021, 11:03 pm
We don’t have a kosher megila. Maybe the rabbi can lend him one

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:05 am
If you live Oot and the rabbi has a Megillah he would lend you tell your husband to call him and say something like
“Hey rabbi my wife won’t be able to make it to the Megillah readings on Thursday night would I be able to come by at 845 to borrow it and then bring it back as soon as I’m done?”

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:30 am
My dh has worked on Purim many times. Maybe he can find a quick reading near his office and go for 30 minutes or a later Megillah reading. It’s not so bad. Leave it to him to figure it out.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 11:33 am
He can’t take a break at that time. Also he is a bt and can’t read the megila properly

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 11:35 am
I have seen men at a late women’s megilla reading plenty of times.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics