Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who/What is a criminal?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 6:22 am
Is it someone who does a crime? What exactly is a crime? Breaking the law is a crime. Someone went through a red light the other day-he broke the law-is he considered a criminal now? What are your thoughts on the matter and not specifically running a red light.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:22 am
I think intention matters a lot.

There is a difference in law of voluntary and involuntary actions and also of premeditation.

In the example you gave, while technically breaking the law, I wouldn't be so quick to to label the person a criminal. But if by doing so they caused major damage to property or person... That would be a criminal act and they'd probably face incarceration which would leave them with a criminal record.

ETA: I think it also matters if it's a man-made law like chewing gum in Singapore or an action that is evil onto itself (assault, murder, white shoes after Labor Day.... J/k on that last one it's a reference)

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:50 am
It's a matter of degree. Speeding is punishable with a fine and points but a DUI carries a bigger criminal penalty.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:41 am
That’s what I’m asking. There are blue collar crimes and white collar crimes. And then there are simple things like running a red light. All of them are breaking the law and the punishment is different for each of course, but is someone who breaks the law called a criminal? I was walking with my 10yo when this guy ran the light and he said he’s a criminal. I don’t know if I would call him that, but he did break the law which equals a crime.

leah233

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:48 am
yo'ma wrote:
Is it someone who does a crime? What exactly is a crime? Breaking the law is a crime. Someone went through a red light the other day-he broke the law-is he considered a criminal now? What are your thoughts on the matter and not specifically running a red light.

Technically speaking breaking any law is criminal behavior.

The common usage of the word criminal however implies crimes that carry jail time or other serious punishment and or crimes that have the potential to seriously hurt other people.

e.g Speeding 10 miles over the speed limit isn't commonly thought of as criminal behavior. Speeding 30 miles over the speed limit would be though of as criminal behavior by some . Drunk driving is universally considered criminal behavior.

singleagain

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:59 am
yo'ma wrote:
That’s what I’m asking. There are blue collar crimes and white collar crimes. And then there are simple things like running a red light. All of them are breaking the law and the punishment is different for each of course, but is someone who breaks the law called a criminal? I was walking with my 10yo when this guy ran the light and he said he’s a criminal. I don’t know if I would call him that, but he did break the law which equals a crime.

According to the literal definition of a criminal your son would be right. Because if you look it up in the dictionary the definition of a criminal is a person who breaks the law and doesn't specify what kind of law or what degrees etc

Colloquially I would say that maybe a different word than criminal like lawbreaker, delinquent, wrongdoer or miscreant
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics