Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are appliances included in a home sale?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:53 am
I am buying a new house - new construction.
We were just notified that a refrigerator/freezer and washer/dryer will not be included with the house and we will have to buy our own.
I'm just so surprised - I never heard of such a thing. I'm wondering what is the norm out there?

Do you have to buy your own appliances when moving?
When/if I do move out of the house some years down the road can I just take these appliances with me?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am buying a new house - new construction.
We were just notified that a refrigerator/freezer and washer/dryer will not be included with the house and we will have to buy our own.
I'm just so surprised - I never heard of such a thing. I'm wondering what is the norm out there?

Do you have to buy your own appliances when moving?
When/if I do move out of the house some years down the road can I just take these appliances with me?

Yeah it's the norm. Usually these things are not included (unless you're renting, and even then sometimes not) And yes, once you buy them they're used to do what you want with

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:59 am
All appliances that are in the home are included in purchase. If you are buying a home without appliances, there is nothing to include. When you leave, you can replace the appliances you have purchased with a cheaper model before prospective buyers come to look at the home, but you generally have to sell the home with whats in it. I've heard some people list what is not included and sometimes include appliances but its generally not allowed.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:59 am
I bought new construction. We can an appliance allowance. It covered 1 oven.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 10:02 am
A home comes without appliances unless otherwise specified.

finprof

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 10:10 am
Are you in the US or Israel? That makes a huge difference to your answer!

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 10:19 am
Usually, ranges, wall ovens, and cooktops are included. Refrigerators (except built-in types like Sub-Zero) are not included, and the washer/dryer varies. In a new construction, what you have encountered is very normal. USA.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 10:22 am
Israel - nothing
America - basics. But don’t assume what you see at viewing is what you’ll get. They can replace with cheaper. Even lighting fixtures we were once told were for staging and could be switched out.
Our home did not include the fridge. It was buried in the contract. But it was included. (In our case they left us a fridge in the basement. But after moving in we realized it didn’t fit in the kitchen space.

New homes many times include basic cheap fridge and oven. Many ppl upgrade. Maybe that is why they aren’t including it.
If you’d want to take it with you that would be between you and the new buyer.

Amarante

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 10:33 am
It depends on location.

By law "fixtures" are included in a sale unless specifically excluded. To put it simply, a fixture is something which is attached to the home.

If it is a used home, appliances left behind are generally negotiated as many sellers don't want to move heavy appliances so it's easier to just include as part of the sale. But your contract with your new buyer would specify what is being left and what is taken.

Refrigerators are not generally included in sales and even some rentals. I would imagine that it is a combination of there being so many variables in terms of preferences as well as some people not wanting to deal with other people's used food storage items. In New York City, rented apartments include refrigerators but refrigerators are not included in rentals for the most part in other locations including Los Angeles.

Washer/dryers are more of a mixed bag.

Honestly, you are better off being able to select your own appliances as often in new construction whatever is included will be builder grade and wouldn't be the model you would purchase for yourself anyway.

tichellady

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:32 pm
As long as it’s clear beforehand it can be included or not.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 12:41 pm
I remember looking at a house and we were told that the new, up-to-date washer/dryer was not being included in the house.

When we bought our home, we had Kashrus questions about the appliances.....which were gross anyway. I replaced all of them - fridge/freezer, oven range (and we added a microwave on top), and dishwasher. The washer/dryer our house came with was fine (in fact, I prefer old washing machines that use more water in the load than regulations allow for newer machines. They clean better.)

So even if it came with appliances, wouldn't mean you'd want them.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 1:47 pm
It depends on the state. It's known not to be included in NY.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 2:50 pm
We just bought a house with no appliances. Our realtor told us we needed/ should include kitchen appliances when we sell but washer/ dryer not nessesary. It’s really location specific and depending on if its a buyer or sellers market as to what’s acceptable but you can write whatever you want in the contract as long as its clear
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics