Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Please help me with bedtime!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:18 pm
Please help me with bedtime. Nicely and gently.
I asked my children to get into pajamas.
5 year old started climbing on furniture (dangerous). I took him down a few times.
Then he decided to take off his underwear and dance around the house yelling "naked naked".
(He knows that we don't let him walk around without clothes.)
Younger brother started doing the same. Both giggling and dancing around with glee that they managed to defy mother.
What should I have done? What would you do?
Seems like bedtime is a cue for silliness. Seems like they're tired and also trying to assert that they're in charge and I'm not and they'll do what they want.
One option:
Close the door to the room (lock it if they run out) and let them come out when they're in pajamas. I don't like the idea of using physical force to get them to listen. I hate the power struggles. But I like the idea of not engaging with the silliness and leaving it to them to get it done.
Another option:
Sit with them and try to convince them that this is the right thing to do. Try to help the kids get dressed. It seems impossible to do this for two kids at once. If I do one at a time, each one will rile up the other.
Other options??

I try to stay calm and not show how frustrated and out of control I feel.
Please share your wisdom.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:20 pm
“Who wants to be silly????? One two three walk like an elephant GO!!! Good now run back and put on your pj shirt. One two three hop like a kangaroo GO!!!! Good now run back and put on your pj pants”
Set a timer and keep saying “quick quick before the timer runs out!”

Chew21

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:22 pm
I personally think the kids need some type of motivator e.g. first one in gets... Let's see who can win the race? Etc. also seems like the kids need some unwinding before bedtime and pjs maybe listening or telling them a story, shmoozimg in lower tone...

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 5:44 pm
We always do a ‘bit’

Who wants to surprise daddy (or me) by being the first in pajamas? First pajamas gets to pick the book we read. Etc. Plus lots of consistency: pjs, book, milk, toilet, teeth. Shema.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:54 pm
Stagger bedtime. Don’t have both kids putting on pajamas at the same time. First the younger one puts on pajamas, and if he’s done in 3 minutes (set a sand timer near him) then he gets to read a book with mommy. While mommy reads a book with the younger one, the older one gets into pajamas and has a book if he’s done in 3 minutes. Don’t remind them, don’t harass them, don’t nudge them. Be very clear about your expectations

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:09 pm
We do PJs a good hour before bed before everyone is too super tired to follow directions.
5:00- dinner
5:30- baths
6:00- pjs
playtime with whatever time is left then until bed.
6:30- bedtime snack (aka sample what parents are eating for dinner or a piece of fruit or a cheese stick). Kids are also welcome to skip this and continue playing.
7:00- last bathroom trip, stories, cuddles and bed

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:20 pm
Is imasinger around? I'd love to get her advice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers