Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What to do to the sleeves/straps to make this more "Yiddish"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:09 pm
It's a jewish company and it was made with the purpose of wearing a shell underneath and to wear as a robe. I feel like this is the type of thread if you don't get it just scroll on. Why do people have to be rude and jump on someone's word like yiddish or say they don't like the style? And btw the past few years in the non jewish fashion world which you all seem to follow, wearing a tshirt under straps has been the in style.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:11 pm
sequoia wrote:
It’s not a robe, it’s a strappy dress, and an ugly one at that. Just because a frum store called it a robe doesn’t mean it is one.

How about just saying: its not my style or taste. No need to step so low

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:12 pm
Don't spend $90 on a strappy sundress that you can get for $18 and looks awful with a shell.

DVOM

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:16 pm
I think its lovely, op!

I love little girls in florals.

I've seen lots of this style straps in Lakewood, worn with a plain white she'll underneath. I remember looking twice the first time I saw it, but having seen it a lot at this point, it's grown on me. I think it looks kinda cute!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:18 pm
Just to clarify, no, it's not a robe.
It's a maxi dress, to be worn on Shabbos while home, as a Shabbos robe would be, hence the name "Shabbos robe." Since these dresses are pretty and dedicated for Shabbos they're very Shabbosdik. But having to get a shell, to me, makes it less appealing and robe-functional. However, if this works for OP, enjoy!

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:20 pm
And what's this box people live in, insisting things must be worn a certain way? Really? That seems really close minded. And frum people struggle enough finding appropriate clothing, if we want to wear a shell underneath to have more options who are all of you to say it's not intended to wear that way? I'll make sure to ask here before I get dressed to be sure I'm following the non jewish norms and to make sure to conform to what they deem is the proper way to wear and style my clothing.

And I'm really blown away that people would say it's ugly when the op clearly likes it. Why are people so mean.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:21 pm
They’re called spaghetti straps. And just cuz they’re selling doesn’t mean we gotta buy. Some trends shouldn’t just stay o the cutting room floor

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:22 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
It's a jewish company and it was made with the purpose of wearing a shell underneath and to wear as a robe. I feel like this is the type of thread if you don't get it just scroll on. Why do people have to be rude and jump on someone's word like yiddish or say they don't like the style? And btw the past few years in the non jewish fashion world which you all seem to follow, wearing a tshirt under straps has been the in style.

The link OP provided describes it as FLORAL SMOCKED MAXI SUNDRESS. That description certainly gave me no clue that it was intended to be a "robe."

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:31 pm
Look at the top the girl is wearing in this image. You could do it underneath the sundress.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL.....8pvzf

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:39 pm
Does “robe” just mean comfy shabbos dress in some communities?

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:41 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

The company doesn't show it with a shell.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL....._link

More importantly, OP doesn't want her DD to wear it with a shell.

OP could remove the spaghetti straps and make sleeves out of a fabric picking up on a color on the dress, I guess.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:42 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

Yep. And ankle length. Worn on Friday night.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:48 pm
I thought the shell look under sleeveless was out? According to imamother?

A cardigan over it would look fine, but it isn't really a frum looking outfit that way because it would still be several inches below the collarbone. So, you could wear a sleeveless shell underneath and a cardigan on top, but all those layers don't seem that comfy in hot weather.

For a baby or very little girl, it would be ok as is.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:55 pm
A t shirt under a sundress is in fashion now in the secular world as well.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:55 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

Exactly!

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 7:57 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
A t shirt under a sundress is in fashion now in the secular world as well.

A t-shirt is not the same as a shell.
Anyway, if you are trying to fit in with frum fashions, it doesn't matter about the latest in the secular world.

tweety1

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:04 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Look at the top the girl is wearing in this image. You could do it underneath the sundress.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL.....8pvzf

This one happens to be very very cute. Somehow looks like a different cut then the one op posted. I would totally get these for my girls.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:17 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
A t-shirt is not the same as a shell.
Anyway, if you are trying to fit in with frum fashions, it doesn't matter about the latest in the secular world.

How is a tshirt different from a shell? A shell is a frum word, a white shell is a white t-shirt.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:31 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
How is a tshirt different from a shell? A shell is a frum word, a white shell is a white t-shirt.

The material, the fit, the cut, the overall look. It's a different article of clothing. At least the ones made by frum companies/sold in frum stores.

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:45 pm
Trust me, a shell screams “frum” for miles around. It’s tight, is clearly worn only for modesty, and is typically made of polyester.

T-shirts are colored and have pictures or sayings, are lose enough to be comfortable, and are typically cotton. Most of my wardrobe is t-shirts. They are nothing like shells.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics