Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What to do to the sleeves/straps to make this more "Yiddish"
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 8:50 pm
sequoia wrote:
Trust me, a shell screams “frum” for miles around. It’s tight, is clearly worn only for modesty, and is typically made of polyester.

T-shirts are colored and have pictures or sayings, are lose enough to be comfortable, and are typically cotton. Most of my wardrobe is t-shirts. They are nothing like shells.

But when worn under a dress, it doesn't make a difference if it's a shell or tshirt. All my girls white shells are t-shirts from department stores.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
But when worn under a dress, it doesn't make a difference if it's a shell or tshirt. All my girls white shells are t-shirts from department stores.

If you want it to look like a "frum" outfit, as op does, you buy the ones from the Jewish stores, not department stores. It is not the same look at all, it is a distinct and recognizable one. In any case, it is more or less "out" though you will still see it here and there Last year, I was at a wedding and there was ONE (upper middle aged) guest wearing a dress with dressy shell outfit. Several years ago, just about all of the guests, including the young trendy dressers would likely have been sporting the same look. It lasted, oh, maybe a decade or so? Pretty long fashion run, tbh.

tweety1

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:05 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
If you want it to look like a "frum" outfit, as op does, you buy the ones from the Jewish stores, not department stores. It is not the same look at all, it is a distinct and recognizable one. In any case, it is more or less "out" though you will still see it here and there Last year, I was at a wedding and there was ONE (upper middle aged) guest wearing a dress with dressy shell outfit. Several years ago, just about all of the guests, including the young trendy dressers would likely have been sporting the same look. It lasted, oh, maybe a decade or so? Pretty long fashion run, tbh.

The one op posted is from a frum store. Pastel has locations in boro park, Monsey, Monroe and I believe Lakewood too.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:06 pm
tweety1 wrote:
The one op posted is from a frum store. Pastel has locations in boro park, Monsey, Monroe and I believe Lakewood too.

Yes and you will notice in the picture, the girls were not wearing anything underneath the sun dresses!

ROFL

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:09 pm
I know some of these come with “bloomers
“that match Make sleeves out of the bloomers

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:11 pm
Yes and you will notice in the picture, the girls were not wearing anything underneath the sun dresses!

Check out all frum stores on Instagram, most models are not tzenuis.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:32 pm
Why are people calling this a robe?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 9:35 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Why are people calling this a robe?

This style maxi dress is being sold as a shabbos robe in frum stores. Many people call any long dress that's worn on shabbos a shabbos robe. I call my maxi skirts and tops a robe.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 10:18 pm
tweety1 wrote:

There was nothing yiddish about that style.

Personally, I think it would look weird with a shell/shirt, although there was a similar jumper on same website that someone posted, blush colored, with a blouse, that I personally thought was much prettier.

OP, you can probably get similar for cheaper on Macy's or amazon.

essie14

Post Tue, Feb 23 2021, 11:33 pm
zaq wrote:
What on earth does "more Yiddish" mean? More like something out of Anatevka or Brooklyn? (Watch this space for my future blockbuster epic, my own answer to Isak Denisen, Out of Brooklyn.) More tzanua? More elegant? IMHO it looks like something poor illiterate hillbillies wear in the backwoods of Arkansas and the only thing I would do with it is rip open a seam and use it for kitchen curtains, but that's just me.

Shabbos robe? No way. You can fool some of the people...

I love you, zaq!
LOL

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 12:06 am
sequoia wrote:
Trust me, a shell screams “frum” for miles around. It’s tight, is clearly worn only for modesty, and is typically made of polyester.

T-shirts are colored and have pictures or sayings, are lose enough to be comfortable, and are typically cotton. Most of my wardrobe is t-shirts. They are nothing like shells.

That's a style of tee shirt, often called a "graphic" tee shirt.

But its not the only style. Tee shirts can be solids, or prints. Colored. White. Fitted. Loose. Its just any shirt that has a T shape when laid out flat.

This is a t shirt, for $58 -- solid color, loose fitting

This tight one will cost $138

And this mid-sized one is $15

A shell is generally a type of tee shirt. Not all tees are shells, though.

moonstone

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 2:25 am
How would you make an article of clothing more "Yiddish?" Embroider the words "Oy, vey" on it?

DrMom

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 3:00 am
I don't understand any of this thread.

It's a spaghetti strap sundress.

If you want your kids to wear a comfy dress with some sort of sleeve, isn't it easier to just buy that?

byisrael

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:05 am
I actually think it could work with a shell
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLiJeSsFJVM/
if its for a baby/very little kid leave as is
for a bigger girl a shirt like the one posted upthread could be cute
for a baby romper when you want to add a shirt for sun protection/warmth it looks fine with a short sleeved tight t- shirt

Sprinkles1

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:17 am
It looks SO much cuter on the kids in this picture than in the link that OP posted.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLFZtsVL_yV/

And to answer the OP, why dont you just remove the spaghetti straps and replace with a wider matching ribbon? And then wear with shell.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:28 am
Sprinkles1 wrote:
It looks SO much cuter on the kids in this picture than in the link that OP posted.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLFZtsVL_yV/

And to answer the OP, why dont you just remove the spaghetti straps and replace with a wider matching ribbon? And then wear with shell.

I will add this link to the op.
I saw it in person and it is very beautiful (in my opinion). I think the ribbon idea makes sense. Thank you.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 6:36 am
A t-shirt is not the same as a shell.
Anyway, if you are trying to fit in with frum fashions, it doesn't matter about the latest in the secular world.

'T-shirt' is the word used for shell in England.

cbg

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 8:53 am
Why are frum stores not catering to the demographics. Most ppl that live in the area dress kids tzniusly by age 3
It makes no sense to me that they would show the models wearing it without a shell
And if the “look” was no shell they could have made it with sleeves and collar
Would they show a spaghetti strap dress with nothing under on a teen or an adult

BTW- the dress is ok, it’s pretty but SUPER overpriced for what it is

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:39 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Yep. And ankle length. Worn on Friday night.

Is this what my secular mother called a "hostess dress"?

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 9:43 am
Lollll!!!! Look a “shell” and it’s a very “non jewish” not “Yiddish” website

https://www.zara.com/us/en/con.....75254
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics