Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
For those that are going away for Purim and Shabbos this yea

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:09 am
Do you feel that you have to reciprocate after if people leave mishloach manot by your door?Hanging a sign that we are not home is not an option.
We have a the ability to answer our bell from anywhere..would you answer and say you are away?

naomi2

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:12 am
You don't have to give people that give you while you are away. If there is someone very close to you, you can give Thurs or Wednesday and say you will be away for purim. Otherwise, a note stating you are not home is enough.nif people leave by the door anyway it's their choice

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:18 am
I don't think you are obligated to reciprocate but I'd be very uncomfortable about a collection of MM sitting outside my door all weekend, drawing attention to the fact that nobody is home. Maybe it's a non-issue where you live but it would be a big welcome sign for robbers here.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:21 am
Agree with above poster. Pile of food outside your door is a bad idea. And some may spoil.
Can you just leave note. Thank you for coming. Please do not leave m”m.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:34 am
No, you're not obligated to give, but you can call friends to say you're thinking of them. Ask a neighbor to bring in any packages left at the door.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 4:46 am
Leave a note in hebrew (or use Hebrew letters to spell English words) so its not just announcing to the world you aren't home.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 5:17 am
I'd leave a note in hebrew or Yiddish saying happy purim, and please not to leave mm, sometimes they are things that need to be refrigerated and is a waste.
On the other hand if you say you're concerned about it looking obvious you aren't home, maybe do answer the bell a couple times? But you'll be announcing out loud that you aren't there?

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 5:33 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I don't think you are obligated to reciprocate but I'd be very uncomfortable about a collection of MM sitting outside my door all weekend, drawing attention to the fact that nobody is home. Maybe it's a non-issue where you live but it would be a big welcome sign for robbers here.

This, plus the food could draw ants or rodents. Do you have a neighbor or friend who lives nearby that could bring anything in for you?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics