Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Safe for Morah in 70s to watch 8 3 year olds?
Previous  1  2

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 11:07 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
The only small groups are the legal playgroups. That’s really all there is. You are paying 3x the price bec it’s a fraction the kids.

My dd goes to a Morah in her 60s and she is just wonderful has so much patience, love, acceptance. I’d send to her for years In a heartbeat.

The legal daycares are 8-10 kids per teacher and double the price as non legal.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 11:19 am
Her age, assuming she was in good health and energetic, would probably be a plus to me. She doesn’t have her own sick kids and when she is done for the day she can unwind and be fresh, not up all night with a baby, or burned out from her own children.
I will reiterate that the issue I have is1 adult to 8 children. What if a kid vomits or has an accident. Who is watch the rest while she deals? If a kid bites, you need one to deal with the victim and one to discipline the aggressor. What if she needs to pee?
I have never and would never send with only one Morah in the room. Summers we sent to a Morah with 2 14 year old assistants.
I feel like only one is just not safe.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 8:43 pm
No. I would not think it is safe to send to a morah on her own in her 70's.
I am a playgroup morah in my 40's. The amount of energy expended in my job is huge.
I once had an assistant in her 70's. She couldn't run across the room to break up a fight. she couldn't fun across the backyard to catch a child who was falling off the swing. She didn't have anywhere near the energy that a younger morah has. And thinking of my own mother in her 60's... she doesn't have the energy to chase even one toddler (mine Smile ) at a time.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 8:49 pm
It's not her age, it's the number of kids. If there was an assistant, that would be different. 3 year olds are really toddlers. You need more than 1 set of eyes and hands for that amount of kids.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 8:49 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
It's legal in NY as well above age 2.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/do.....e.pdf

According to the NYC website, it’s 1 teacher to 6 students.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Feb 24 2021, 10:46 pm
Not safe. The ratio is terrible, too many kids for one person and a 70 year old? Only if she had been an Olympic medalist!
Would never ever send. If one kid has an accident, or even if she needs to go to the bathroom, there's no one to watch!
Nope, just no.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:19 am
Yes, I sent my kids to a lady in her 70s with that many kids in the group and it was great. She is ka”h a really geshikte lady who runs her home and her playgroup beautifully and has been doing playgroup for many decades. She keeps the kids busy and happy, and they adore her. She’s incredibly warm and loving.

lk1234

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 3:51 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Her age, assuming she was in good health and energetic, would probably be a plus to me. She doesn’t have her own sick kids and when she is done for the day she can unwind and be fresh, not up all night with a baby, or burned out from her own children.
I will reiterate that the issue I have is1 adult to 8 children. What if a kid vomits or has an accident. Who is watch the rest while she deals? If a kid bites, you need one to deal with the victim and one to discipline the aggressor. What if she needs to pee?
I have never and would never send with only one Morah in the room. Summers we sent to a Morah with 2 14 year old assistants.
I feel like only one is just not safe.

Exactly this. The age would be a plus for me! But I'd be scared to have just her in the room.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 25 2021, 4:10 am
I'm 55, and I have limited energy. I cannot even imagine 8 kids in my home, no matter how babyproof! Especially if you have any escape artists or climbers.

Regardless of the morah's age or health, I would not send anywhere without a second person as a backup. Even the best, most loving and patient morah in the world has to pee sometime!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers