Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Virtual speech therapy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:15 am
I recently started my toddler on speech therapy to increase her language. Being that it’s COVID they only do online sessions. After a few of these sessions I find that I’m exhausted. It’s like I’m doing all the work and the therapist is just observing. I’m playing with my toddler and doing the repetitive play and saying the repetitive words. The therapist is just taking notes and cheering me on saying how good I’m doing and giving me encouragement. It’s exhausting for me to sit and play intensely with my toddler making sure I’m saying all the rights things to her since my every move is being watched and (very likely recorded). Is this how virtual speech therapy is supposed to look? I kind of thought it would be the therapist doing the talking.
If you are doing virtual speech therapy with your toddler please let me know what it looks like and how it’s going for you.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:31 am
Yea it is exhausting.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:35 am
I'll chime in as an slp and mom.
During the early covid days my son was getting slp thru zoom. It was HARD. I stopped it after a few days.
From my professional experience some parents like it/appreciate some it's too difficult for. Either way is ok. It can depend on the slp but not necessarily.
In NJ where I'm from Early intervention is open for in person services so that definitely helps.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:42 am
Ultimately, your child won't learn to talk because of 2-3 half hour sessions with a speech therapist, but because you learn from the therapist and follow thru with whatever they're working on and reinforce it. So it's harder in the short term but if you're actually worried about hour child's speech development I'd stick with it even though it is exhausting.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:58 am
I refused online sessions for this reason. Thankfully they allow in person for a while and he’s talking a lot more bh.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:35 am
I'm an SLP doing virtual, though 5+ rather than EI. Parent coaching is essential, but see if SHE can do some activities too. There should be enough modeling, not just coaching. She can use green screen-very engaging for the child as it's more 'real play' rather than just watching.
She can also email you activities to set up so that more of it is prepared and therefore less effort (car wash with container and soap, play food etc). The first few sessions are tiring, but as more of a routine develops, it should be much more manageable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics