Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Third stimulus - is it for real?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:32 am
I hear there's a $1400 stimulus check coming for EVERY household member. That's over $15K for a large family. Is that for real?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:33 am
Bill has not been passed in the senate yet

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:56 am
I hope the bill won't pass, it doesn't make sense. People are using the money for vacations and down payments.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:57 am
What was the second stimulus? I didnt get anything

yksraya

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:09 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I hope the bill won't pass, it doesn't make sense. People are using the money for vacations and down payments.
And some are using it for rent and clothing. Some people are still unemployed due to corona.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:13 pm
yksraya wrote:
And some are using it for rent and clothing. Some people are still unemployed due to corona.

Exactly.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:14 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
What was the second stimulus? I didnt get anything

That was the $600 one back in January.

Jeanette

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:14 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

Maybe if you don't need the money you can donate it to people who need it for rent and food.

The idea of a stimulus is to get the economy moving again by encouraging people to spend money they wouldn't otherwise spend.

The travel industry has been decimated, so I don't see it as a terrible thing if people use their stimulus money to take vacations (when it's safe to do so).

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:16 pm
yksraya wrote:

So they should get it, not those of us who are BH employed and doing fine. I don't mind free money, the first two were very helpful. But now that most people are back at work, there needs to be a better system to give only to those still having a loss of income. This is all coming from our taxes and we'll be paying it off for years. It's so irresponsible to just give everyone instead of making sure it goes to those who need

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:17 pm
yksraya wrote:

There is unemployment for that. There really is no reason to give people money if they are still working and their kids are in school.
There are however other problems with the bill as most of the money is going to pet projects and to foreign countries while American citizens are getting pennies so in that case I dont care if larger families get more money as they def have more expenses. But there should be a standalone bill for the stimulus check without all the other billions included, then it would make more sense and be justified.
One congress person actually has a bill to increase the check to $10,000 a person (instead of $1400 with the rest going to pet projects or foreign countries) but I doubt that bill will even see the light of day. So the elected officials who are meant to be working for American citizens (and get paid through our taxdollars) care more about their pet projects and foreign countries than for the American citizens who elected them. Oh well.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:18 pm
Exactly, it isn't just for rent and groceries.
Even just spending it on restaurants, movie theaters, and beauty salons will help create very needed jobs.

exaustedmom

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:20 pm
Maybe the best stimulus is actually to open back up our economy?

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:21 pm
For those saying there is unemployment, I was able to file for the first few weeks. In error they took it off my employer instead of pandemic unemployment and the company rates went up.

I was able to return for some time and then had to take off due to exposure by my kids. The system won't let me file under pandemic. Even regular unemployment has blocked my account. I'm not the only one. When I call they say they can't help me and hang up on me!
This is in NY. So the stimulus helps for thosw of us who should be getting pandemic unemployment and can't due to the faulty system.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:22 pm
And what will happen if I use it towards a down payment ? Or even toward rent for a decent apartment? I'm desperate to move but it's unaffordable .

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:23 pm
yksraya wrote:

And many people aren't interested in going back to work because they keep on getting free money from the government.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:23 pm
It is not for everyone.
It is only for households making less than 100K a year.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:24 pm
exaustedmom wrote:
Maybe the best stimulus is actually to open back up our economy?

You can open up restaurants to full capacity but if people can't afford to eat out the restaurants can't afford to hire workers. Same goes for a lot of industries that people cut back on when things are tight. Dry cleaners. Beauty salons/services. Entertainment venues. Etc.

causemommysaid

As much as I love free money, this is not a thought out bill. It's going to cost us for years and most of the people getting the stimulus don't need it.

Skip the stimulus and extend unemployment. (And kick off all the frausters who are abusing unemployment.)

Jeanette

amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
So they should get it, not those of us who are BH employed and doing fine. I don't mind free money, the first two were very helpful. But now that most people are back at work, there needs to be a better system to give only to those still having a loss of income. This is all coming from our taxes and we'll be paying it off for years. It's so irresponsible to just give everyone instead of making sure it goes to those who need

The stimulus gets phased out if you earn above $150,000 for a family of 2.

It's not just about making sure people have necessities. It's also about helping retailers and other industries get back on their feet

During times of economic distress and uncertainty, people tend to pull back on purchases. They decide to push it off for another time. But if you're trying to run a small business, youre depending on people to spend their money on you.

If they tried to target the stimulus money to the people most in need, that would add a layer of bureaucracy that would make it MORE expensive. And would make it more complicated for the people who qualify to get their money. And people would be complaining why this group got money and not that group.

As I said, if you don't need the money please donate it to a family who can use it.

yksraya

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 12:25 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
nyc is still not back to normal. Many people who were previously business owners can still not re-open. (Not everyone is eligible for unemployment).

And the stimulus is also more for the money should circulate to improve economy.

As well as making people feel they can afford things in these trying times, which improves the economy.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics