Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Raise your hand if you want more gebrochs recipes
1  2  Next

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:58 pm
Would you like to see more gebrochs recipes?
(I wanted to do a poll but was having trouble. Should we assume likes = yes?)

bobeli

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 8:59 pm
Yes please.
Your recipes are always great, thank you for posting

Reality

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:02 pm
Yes. Thank you!

mama123

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:08 pm
Yes, for desserts please. I like to bake desserts that we can say Mezonos on after kiddush in the morning. For side dishes, I don’t find the need to include gebrochts.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:09 pm
Yes please!

I'm really looking for a nice gebroks sponge cake!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 9:45 pm
I agree! Particularly mezonos that is grabable or noshable. And my personal preference is to have some gebrochs recipes that taste great and have no nuts, since we're nut free.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:15 pm
Not I. They are hard on the stomach. I don't eat too much matzah on pesach in general.

But please post what you have! I know many people can use the recipes.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

mig100

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:17 pm
Yes. Some very easy and tasty cakes

mamaleh

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 10:40 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Yes please!

I'm really looking for a nice gebroks sponge cake!

I have a great one, but the recipe is put away with the pesach stuff. It's from the my most favorite dessert company cookbook. We use regular matzo meal instead of cake meal so it comes out a bit heavier, but it is still very popular. Last year we cut slices & rebaked them. Biscotti, anyone?

I thought I had posted it once, but I can't find it. I'll try to come back once my boxes are open.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:29 am
Old faithfuls include
1. The cc pudding cookies that I first saw on Imamother
2. Susie Fishbein's mandelbread.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:01 am
mamaleh wrote:
I have a great one, but the recipe is put away with the pesach stuff. It's from the my most favorite dessert company cookbook. We use regular matzo meal instead of cake meal so it comes out a bit heavier, but it is still very popular. Last year we cut slices & rebaked them. Biscotti, anyone?

I thought I had posted it once, but I can't find it. I'll try to come back once my boxes are open.

Thanks! I'm not baking yet anyways LOL LOL !

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:11 am
Where?

I mean, I think it's great to post gebrokts recipes here on imamother. Why not? Benefits those who eat gebroks.

But as a non-gebrokts person, a think a magazine I pay for should address everyone. So there should be a balance of recipes in such venues.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:30 am
Chayalle wrote:
Where?

I mean, I think it's great to post gebrokts recipes here on imamother. Why not? Benefits those who eat gebroks.

But as a non-gebrokts person, a think a magazine I pay for should address everyone. So there should be a balance of recipes in such venues.

While I agree with your sentiment, I don’t think that it’s actually possible when it comes to Pesach. There are so many different minhagim and chumras that there are almost no recipes that ‘everyone’ can use. I’d prefer to see an assortment that address the different options as opposed to always catering to the same group (even if it is a large one).

Many people I know do not buy potato starch (or other products) for Pesach (some of us eat gebrocts, some don’t). Almost every baking recipe in all of the magazines has potato starch (or tapioca). Why not add some recipes (gebrocts, or not) that can actually be used by the people that don’t buy many products?

I am not trying to attack anyone, I don’t think it’s anyone’s fault, per se. Just pointing out that adding some gebrocts recipes to the magazines might actually make them more helpful for many people.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:32 am
mamaleh wrote:
I’d prefer to see an assortment that address the different options as opposed to always catering to the same group (even if it is a large one).

Agree, that's what I meant by balance.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:45 am
I would like more gebroks-style, but not literally-gebroks recipes. For those who hold that only Matza and water is gebroks, but would use other liquids like juice. Anyone else do this?

mamaleh

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:50 am
Chayalle wrote:
Agree, that's what I meant by balance.

Knowing you, I had a feeling that's what you meant (I've just heard the "all recipes should be non-gebrokts so everyone can use them." from so many people that I needed to vent). Glad we're on the same page!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:57 am
Yes please

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:57 am
mamaleh wrote:
While I agree with your sentiment, I don’t think that it’s actually possible when it comes to Pesach. There are so many different minhagim and chumras that there are almost no recipes that ‘everyone’ can use. I’d prefer to see an assortment that address the different options as opposed to always catering to the same group (even if it is a large one).

Many people I know do not buy potato starch (or other products) for Pesach (some of us eat gebrocts, some don’t). Almost every baking recipe in all of the magazines has potato starch (or tapioca). Why not add some recipes (gebrocts, or not) that can actually be used by the people that don’t buy many products?

I am not trying to attack anyone, I don’t think it’s anyone’s fault, per se. Just pointing out that adding some gebrocts recipes to the magazines might actually make them more helpful for many people.

It bothers me that the perception of "non-gebrokts" is often considered to be "more frum" or a "chumra" when it's completely not true and purely minhag, considering that now there is scientific evidence that no chometz can occur after wheat is already baked. That said, my family growing up was makpid on 18-minute matza which is not a universal minhag by any means (which is more of a chumra than gebrokts) so we don't buy any product MADE with matza meal FOR pesach, thus, I think this might be an area where a "pesach hotel" might benefit from a "non-gebrokts" policy or just from an economical perspective, potato starch/almond flour/tapioca starch is MUCH cheaper than matzal meal per ounce therefore it's an off-label gimmick.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:15 pm
Here are my favorite Passover popovers. We use them both as a side as well as a base for other things like pizza and grilled cheese.

1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
1 cup matzah meal (either normal or cake or mix of the two)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs

0. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Place oil and water in saucepan and bring to a boil. Combine matzah meal, sugar, salt and add all atonce. Beat with wooden spoon.
2. Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly until ball forms (you can do this by hand or with mixer).
3. Oil hands and shape dough into 12 small balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 in apart.
4. Bake 50-60 mins at 350 degrees.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:47 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Old faithfuls include
1. The cc pudding cookies that I first saw on Imamother
2. Susie Fishbein's mandelbread.

where can I find these recipes?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics