Home

Washing tzitzis so the strings stay even and don't curl

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


gazingblue




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:21 pm
My bar mitzvah boy started wearing his tzitzis out. How do you wash them so they stay nice and straight and even? TIA
Back to top

Janie Asne




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:24 pm
Buy this marvelous thing. It works really well. I’ve also seen it in bingo and gourmet glatt

https://www.amazon.com/Magen-T.....psc=1
Back to top

gazingblue




 
 
 
 

Post Sun, Feb 28 2021, 11:30 pm
Thanks!
I generally wash a few pairs at a time. These seem kinda pricey, but worth it if it does the trick. is it ok to put a few in the machine at once?
Thanks again
Back to top

amother




Mauve
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:14 am
Wash the strings in a sock tied with a rubber or these special bags they sell for this purpose.
Iron after if needed.
Back to top

gazingblue




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:30 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Wash the strings in a sock tied with a rubber or these special bags they sell for this purpose.
Iron after if needed.


Thanks!
That’s what I do now. I don’t love the way it comes out.
Back to top

Janie Asne




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:39 am
gazingblue wrote:
Thanks!
I generally wash a few pairs at a time. These seem kinda pricey, but worth it if it does the trick. is it ok to put a few in the machine at once?
Thanks again


It can only do one pair at a time. I got 2. They’re a little cheaper at bingo. I find it works really well. Maybe get 1 and see if you like it...
Back to top

shanie5




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:18 pm
gazingblue wrote:
Thanks!
I generally wash a few pairs at a time. These seem kinda pricey, but worth it if it does the trick. is it ok to put a few in the machine at once?
Thanks again


They're great! We have about 6 or 7 of them. And use as many as we need per load. They are not for the dryer though. We hang the tzitzit to dry.

DH found them online for $5 each, but this was a few years ago.
Back to top

mfb




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:20 pm
Janie Asne wrote:
Buy this marvelous thing. It works really well. I’ve also seen it in bingo and gourmet glatt

https://www.amazon.com/Magen-T.....psc=1

I also use these. It’s great! I have a few of them. Definitely worth it.
Back to top

amother




Indigo
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:21 pm
Another vote for the Magen Tzitzis. We have used other devices in the past, none worked as well as this.
Back to top

gazingblue




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:32 pm
Thank you so much all!!!
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:35 pm
We have the magen but I found that the actual tzitizis strings dont get so clean because they are wrapped in the device so my husband took a drill and made holes in it so the soap and water get inside without ruining them. My kids are younger so maybe that issue goes away as they get older and dont get as dirty on a daily basis.
Back to top

Janie Asne




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:01 pm
mha3484 wrote:
We have the magen but I found that the actual tzitizis strings dont get so clean because they are wrapped in the device so my husband took a drill and made holes in it so the soap and water get inside without ruining them. My kids are younger so maybe that issue goes away as they get older and dont get as dirty on a daily basis.


If they are dirty I soak them first in soap and water.
Back to top

amother




Salmon
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:18 pm
Handwash in bathtub or sink, hang to dry.
Back to top

british




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 2:35 pm
I Gather all the strings together and put 3 or 4 plastic bag clippy clips down the strings.
Holds them together and straight.
Cant tangle at all.
Works fabulously
Back to top

gazingblue




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 3:29 pm
british wrote:
I Gather all the strings together and put 3 or 4 plastic bag clippy clips down the strings.
Holds them together and straight.
Cant tangle at all.
Works fabulously


So interesting. Ends don’t fray?
Back to top

british




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:15 am
gazingblue wrote:
So interesting. Ends don’t fray?


Not at all!
I leave the last clip about an inch from the ends
Back to top

amother




Plum
 

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 7:52 am
I saw someone on Instagram (someone squire can’t remember name) ..iorn them with a hair iorn so clamped from both sides and slid down ..thought that was very cool and easy but never tried
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Clean a washing machine 2 Thu, Apr 08 2021, 10:02 pm View last post
Help me stay accountable
by amother
46 Thu, Apr 01 2021, 9:02 pm View last post
Where did the victims of double booking in Orlando, stay?
by amother
6 Tue, Mar 30 2021, 12:31 am View last post
Ideas to stay focused during the Seder
by amother
0 Fri, Mar 26 2021, 10:20 am View last post
What soap do you use for washing dishes?
by amother
8 Thu, Mar 25 2021, 7:37 pm View last post