Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Am I wrong?

11lilducks

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 8:49 pm
My son in 5th grade came home the other day and complained that his teacher allows kids to correct class tests. I felt this was wrong. I think grades are between the teacher,parents and student not the entire class. When I spoke to the teacher his answer is that he uses this as an incentive to have kids improve their grades, since only kids that get 100 and are finished first get to do this. He thinks it's great because kids are studying harder and doing better on their tests. My son tells me he has been told grades by the grading students but the teacher insists that it doesn't happen. Was I wrong to call the teacher on it?

Plonis

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 8:52 pm
ur right.
the teacher needs 2 find a diff incentive.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 8:53 pm
You are 100% right.

Please bring this to the attention of the principal if the teacher insists on this continuing.

I suspect that this has more to do with the teacher not wanting to take the trouble to grade the tests. I can't even begin to see what he thinks is so wonderful about this. Rolling Eyes

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 8:54 pm
I agree with you. when I was that age, we used to mark each other's quizzes, but we each had a secret number instead of a name on top, and we all marked one quiz right after the quiz was given.it helped us recognize common mistakes, but there was no competition involved.

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 10 2008, 9:47 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
I agree with you. when I was that age, we used to mark each other's quizzes, but we each had a secret number instead of a name on top, and we all marked one quiz right after the quiz was given.it helped us recognize common mistakes, but there was no competition involved.

Even then, kids recognize one another's handwriting.

Grades should be private. The reason that kids are working harder is more than likely that they are being made fun of by the other students if they don't do as well.

When I was a kid, the science teacher used to have us grade one anothers' quizzes. He would then ask the person who graded my quiz how I did -- me, never anyone else. Then he would say *OK, that's a B* If I got a 100, as I often did, there were no As given for that quiz. I still resent that.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 8:55 am
Sometimes we had this. I didn't like it because it was a big comments fest, bashing...
Us French grade from 0 to 10 in primary school, 5 being C/passing grade, 6 being B, 7 being A... above primary school it's from O to 20, 10 being passing grade and C, 12 being B, 14 being A and so on. In high school it is very rare to have more than a B, not even talking in university. That's why Americans don't get why we are thrilled with a B...

louche

Post Tue, Mar 11 2008, 9:20 am
You're not wrong. A kid's grades should be confidential. Even the good ones.

The end does NOT justify the means. If he beat up the kids who don't do well, they might study harder and get better grades, too. That doesn't make it an acceptable strategy.

Oh, the teacher says "it doesn't happen" that kids tell grades? Really? Is he there with them in the school bus? Is he in the huddle on the playground? Does he go to shul with them on shabbos?

Incidentally, does the teacher review the papers after the kids have graded them to make sure they were graded correctly? Suppose Shmeryl dislikes Beryl and decides to mark him wrong when he's not? what then?

This practice should be stopped right now. If the teacher doesn't see it your way, speak to the principal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics