Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Israel to US with only Israeli Passport?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:24 am
I know an American family planning to move from Israel to the US. Problem is they have a toddler and baby without a US passport. They got an appointment a month or so ago for right after Pesach, but they really need to go before Pesach. The embassy said there is nothing they can do and they only do emergency passports for life/death issues right now. They can get an Israeli passport for both fairly easily. Will they be allowed on the plane? Will they be allowed off the plane? Is there anyone who can help??

Iymnok

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:48 am
If they have an American report of birth abroad snd an Israeli passport, it may work.
Contact Chaim V’chessed.

Sesame

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:51 am
Any Israelis leaving the country currently need to apply for permission to leave

chanchy123

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:56 am
They should really consult an immigration lawyer.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:02 pm
They have no American report of birth abroad either. But why would that help?

They know they need to apply for permission to leave as of now.

How would an immigration lawyer help? If they need to do anything in court, that would take way longer than just after Pesach.

Has anyone heard of anyone in this situation? Any clue what they did or how it went?

They emailed Chaim v'Chessed, but they are very backed up at the moment. They said only to call with real emergencies. Think this qualifies?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 12:18 pm
An immigration lawyer has pull and can facilitate any consular red tape. A consultation is usually free and if they’re that desperate is worth to consult a professional.

Teomima

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:27 pm
In regular, non-covid times, I think if the child is not a registered US citizen, then theywould need a visa to be admitted to the United States, no? The child would then not be permitted to board a flight to a country they can not legally enter.

I assume these days it's even more strict, who can fly out.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:30 pm
Teomima wrote:
In regular, non-covid times, I think if the child is not a registered US citizen, then theywould need a visa to be admitted to the United States, no? The child would then not be permitted to board a flight to a country they can not legally enter.

I assume these days it's even more strict, who can fly out.

It's complicated. Someone who's a US citizen (even without a birth certificate, I think) is not eligible to get a visa to enter the United States. Citizens must enter with a passport.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:32 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
It's complicated. Someone who's a US citizen (even without a birth certificate, I think) is not eligible to get a visa to enter the United States. Citizens must enter with a passport.

This☝️. That’s why I think op should consult a lawyer in these very complicated times.

essie14

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 1:41 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

Exactly. This is a complicated situation and needs an immigration attorney.
The child is automatically a citizen from its parents. I assume because this question is even being asked.
When a US citizen, who has lived in the US past the age of 14, has a baby abroad, that baby is automatically a citizen. It's the parents' responsibility to file a Report of Birth of Abroad and apply for a US passport and SSN for the baby. Otherwise that baby can never enter the US.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:06 am
Thanks very much everyone! Appreciate all the input!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions