Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/o living room style with young kids and teens

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:13 pm
Spin off of the thread for non gashmiyus living room with teens. What abt home style when one has little kids and teens? I can BH afford to buy new updated furniture but I love that I can just let my little ones be and not worry abt them jumping or dirtying up nice stuff. So I just kind of keep our cozy but we'll worn things...and plan to refresh when I'm out of the baby/toddler stage. My teens are sometimes kvetchy abt the toddler messes, spilled cheerios etc. And don't like their friends to see it. Of course I try my best to clean up... But I'm like- this is the stage of life I'm in...I can't be manaic abt keeping our house just so with a bunch of little ones. On a similar note, sometimes my teens will be with friends at my house and a baby has a dirty daiper...or a 3 year old needs her nose cleaned. My teens get so embarrassed abt their friends seeing this stuff. Any thoughts... I tell myself that Hashem made these kids born as the older ones and that's part of their life package....what do you think?

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 9:22 pm
If you wait until kids are all grown out of the house to get nice furniture - won't there be grandkids over in a few years messing it up?

I chose to get nice furniture as soon as I could afford it and teach my kids that the furniture is not a playground.

If your older kids are embarrassed about cherrios on the floor, they can help pick them up.

Diaper changes could probably be done in a more private area, but that's your choice.

Why you wiping a little kid's nose is embarrassing to them is beyond me.

If they are unhappy at home they can always go hang out at their friends' houses instead.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:10 pm
As the pp said, if you already have teens and you sill have little kids there will never be a time when your house is truly toddler free. I do have rules about jumping/coloring on furniture but I'm not a policeman and my kids are normal and energetic and they're not always as disciplined as I would like. I don't know that I will ever feel comfortable buying expensive 'quility' furniture because I'll be nervous it will get ruined. Instead I buy nice looking but inexpensive or a second hand dining room set, not disposable obviously since it's furniture but something that isn't such an investment so when it really gets bad I can replace it.
In terms of the diapers, if it's just my family I'll change them in the living room/common areas but if I have guests I'll go to a different room. It's quite smelly and would bother me as a guest as well.
For the dirty noses, I have to say this is one of my least favorite parts of parenting, I hate the constant dirty nose! But there's nothing I can do about that and if it embarrasses my older kids so be it, it embarrasses me too.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:17 pm
I have little kids and nice furniture. They know my house is not a zoo.
Dirty diapers shouldn’t be changed in front of guests.

imaima

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Spin off of the thread for non gashmiyus living room with teens. What abt home style when one has little kids and teens? I can BH afford to buy new updated furniture but I love that I can just let my little ones be and not worry abt them jumping or dirtying up nice stuff. So I just kind of keep our cozy but we'll worn things...and plan to refresh when I'm out of the baby/toddler stage. My teens are sometimes kvetchy abt the toddler messes, spilled cheerios etc. And don't like their friends to see it. Of course I try my best to clean up... But I'm like- this is the stage of life I'm in...I can't be manaic abt keeping our house just so with a bunch of little ones. On a similar note, sometimes my teens will be with friends at my house and a baby has a dirty daiper...or a 3 year old needs her nose cleaned. My teens get so embarrassed abt their friends seeing this stuff. Any thoughts... I tell myself that Hashem made these kids born as the older ones and that's part of their life package....what do you think?

I am with you that my house is allowed to reflect the stage of life I am in.
Do the teen friends have no young siblings?
OTOH can your kids host their friends in their bedrooms?

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:45 pm
I assume she didn't mean that she changes dirty diapers in front of teens' friends! That would be very impolite. I'm guessing she meant that just the smell from the diaper embarrasses her teens (try to change right away).

You are right that you are in toddler stage, but you are also in teen stage, and you have to balance the two. If you can afford to buy better furniture, then buy. It's wonderful when teens are happy to host their friends at your house.

I believe that any furniture in a home with kids of whatever age should be well-wearing. In other words, buy couches in an earthy color that won't show too much dirt, buy rugs that are colorful and hide a multitude of sins, buy wooden dining chairs and not white leather ones.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 2:51 pm
If you can afford buy new. It will be so nice for your teens to be comfortable having their friends over. You can get furniture that is easier to clean so it’s still ok for your little ones
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics