Home

Intermittent fasting, lost weight then it stopped
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 10:50 pm
I have been doing intermittent fasting for a few months now. The first few months I lost weight and then it stopped, basically staying same.
I still have a lot more weight to lose.
Back to top

amother




Ecru
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:02 pm
I always learned that fasting slows down the metabolism.
Back to top

amother




Vermilion
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:10 pm
That happened to me lost right away. Kept if offa year. But didn’t lose more. Last 10 lbs wouldn’t budge.
When I stopped I gained it all back plus extra.
Now doing weight watchers. I think I’m losing much more steadier.
Back to top

amother




Cobalt
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:11 pm
You may have reached your set point.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:37 pm
How could that be? I have literally like 80 more lb to lose.
Back to top

Imax5




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 01 2021, 11:54 pm
What’s your fasting schedule and how long have you been at the same place?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:07 am
Imax5 wrote:
What’s your fasting schedule and how long have you been at the same place?

Doing 16:8 or 17:9
About a month at same place
Back to top

amother




Peach
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:14 am
Is there a medication you might be on keeping you from losing weight? I couldn’t lose barely until I got off a certain med

Also, if you use Facebook there’s an intermittent fasting group- I think it’s called intermittent fasting for women but I’m not sure.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Doing 16:8 or 17:9
About a month at same place

Sorry my math is off... 16/8 or 17/7
Back to top

Imax5




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:26 am
I had something similar. Lost weight really quickly then hovered in five pound range for two months. Scale suddenly started moving again. No idea why. But if you’re comfortable how you feel try to keep going.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 12:30 am
Imax5 wrote:
I had something similar. Lost weight really quickly then hovered in five pound range for two months. Scale suddenly started moving again. No idea why. But if you’re comfortable how you feel try to keep going.

That's encouraging! Yes, I can definitely keep going. Hoping the scale will start moving again!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:24 pm
Has anyone else had this??
Back to top

Imax5




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 5:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone else had this??

Andrea Levy posts a lot. She's been doing a version of intermittent fasting for years and talks about long stalls. I don't know how to flag her.
Back to top

amother




Silver
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:10 pm
DH has had lots of success with IF over the past 8 months. He's stalled a few times, for a couple of weeks at a time. He usually chalks it up to being too lenient with what and when he eats. After being careful to keep an 18:6 ratio and watching what he eats during those 6 hours, he gets the scale moving again.
Back to top

amother




Puce
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How could that be? I have literally like 80 more lb to lose.


What are you eating when not fasting? Do high protein and healthy fats, low carbs (only eat veggies, not potatoes, bread, rice, etc) . I just lost 70 lbs that way and it kills your appetite and cravings!
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:16 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
What are you eating when not fasting? Do high protein and healthy fats, low carbs (only eat veggies, not potatoes, bread, rice, etc) . I just lost 70 lbs that way and it kills your appetite and cravings!


I am trying to do low carb but not eliminate any food group. so I do have some potatoes, brown rice, whole wheat bread, because I am traumatized from other diets that when I went off those foods entirely, then when I went back on them I gained toooons of weight. So I want this to be something I can do always.
I am doing high protein, healthy fats, and moderately low carb, but definitely not just veggies.
Back to top

amother




Wheat
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How could that be? I have literally like 80 more lb to lose.

Set point, meaning the weight your body is genetically created to be.
Who says you have 80 lbs to lose? The BMI chart?
You might want to lose 80 lbs but your body might not, and will fight you to keep the weight.
Back to top

Imax5




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:36 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Set point, meaning the weight your body is genetically created to be.
Who says you have 80 lbs to lose? The BMI chart?
You might want to lose 80 lbs but your body might not, and will fight you to keep the weight.


the argument made by proponents of intermittent fasting is that the set point is dictated by hormonal interactions that can be reset over time by periods of fasting. In other words, everyone seems to acknowledge that traditional dieting causes set point to ratchet up. (anyone who's been doing this a while is familiar with losing 30 lbs on a crash diet and then rapidly gaining back 40 and seeming stuck at that 10 lbs higher point thereafter.) The question is whether it can be similarly ratcheted back down, and some people think the answer is yes, but only where calorie restriction is accomplished by forcing fat burn through fasting rather than by simply reducing caloric intake with steady consumption throughout the day.
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 6:13 am
It may be that for your body, doing 16:8 is not enough for further weight loss without restricting carbs.

I do a pretty extreme version of intermittent fasting. 23:1 and *very* limited carbs - no grains, sugar fruit or carby vegetables. It's been very effective (I lost 10 lb a month, 30 lb overall), but only when I really stick to it.

In the weeks leading up to purim I loosened up. Nothing crazy, just a couple of cookies or chocolate bar every few days, some particularly fluffy challa on shabbos, some nice whole grain sourdough bread for seuda... I ate out of my window, but was I wasn't snacking all day, I was eating within 7-8 hours or less every day. Despite that, I didn't loose weight for 3 weeks. But happily, I didn't gain either, which is amazing, especially during purim. That means I can maintain my weight while having some carby treats in my diet.
But now I know that if I want to continue with the weight loss, I need to continue with the tiny window and minimal carbs. I have 40 lb to go, so I don't have to eat this way forever, just for a few more months.
Back to top

amother




Smokey
 

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 6:59 am
Imax5 wrote:
the argument made by proponents of intermittent fasting is that the set point is dictated by hormonal interactions that can be reset over time by periods of fasting. In other words, everyone seems to acknowledge that traditional dieting causes set point to ratchet up. (anyone who's been doing this a while is familiar with losing 30 lbs on a crash diet and then rapidly gaining back 40 and seeming stuck at that 10 lbs higher point thereafter.) The question is whether it can be similarly ratcheted back down, and some people think the answer is yes, but only where calorie restriction is accomplished by forcing fat burn through fasting rather than by simply reducing caloric intake with steady consumption throughout the day.


I would add to this that the goal in a nutshell is to reduce times of high insulin. You want to reduce the number of times you eat throughout the day, because insulin causes you to store fat (this is a huge simplification, read about IF if you want to understand in depth).
So you may have lowered your set point somewhat, but depending on how you're eating during your window, you could still have over 12 hours of high insulin, especially if you have some insulin resistance.
Consider looking at how you're eating during your window. Eating 2 solid meals at 11 AM and at 6PM might be much more effective than on and off snacking from 11 to 7. Also, if eating carbs is important to you, maybe you could limit them to the first meal in your window, and have more protein, fat and green veggies during the second half.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Dh needs to gain weight
by amother
9 Tue, Apr 13 2021, 12:09 am View last post
Ever completely lost interest in weight loss?
by amother
5 Mon, Apr 12 2021, 10:38 pm View last post
Has anyone tried Saxenda for weight loss?
by amother
6 Sun, Apr 11 2021, 5:00 pm View last post
Saxenda injections for weight loss.
by amother
13 Sun, Apr 11 2021, 4:57 pm View last post
Saxenda injections for weight loss.
by amother
2 Sun, Apr 11 2021, 4:56 pm View last post