Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Diabetes and behavioral kids

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:21 am
My teenage son was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. He has some serious behavioral issues including impulsivity. He understands that he needs to cut back on carbs and give insulin when he does eat them, but he doesn’t follow through in real life so his numbers are totally out of control.

I spoke to our endo about it and his response was to lock up all the carbs in the house. This might work in a small family with a big house, but is totally not realistic with a big family in a smaller space.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any ideas?

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My teenage son was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. He has some serious behavioral issues including impulsivity. He understands that he needs to cut back on carbs and give insulin when he does eat them, but he doesn’t follow through in real life so his numbers are totally out of control.

I spoke to our endo about it and his response was to lock up all the carbs in the house. This might work in a small family with a big house, but is totally not realistic with a big family in a smaller space.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any ideas?

What??? Get a new pediatric endo, ASAP!! DS doesn't need to add an eating disorder to his list. Oy.

No, he doesn't have to "cut back on carbs." He needs to be aware of what he is eating, how much, check BG a minimum of 3x day, and give the correct amount of insulin at each meal and snack time. His endo should be looking into his carb to insulin unit ratio or encouraging DS to eat better carbs or better sources for carbs (good place to start is to only eat wheat from foreign countries. Sounds crazy but how the body reacts to cheap walmart pasta vs imported Italian pasta is kinda astounding)

At the very least, the endo should explain to you that some behavioral issues are just teenage hormones, not the diabetes (e.g. don't excuse bad behavior on diabetes).

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:34 am
There are programs that specialize in helping kids learn to deal with chronic conditions like this, and teens with diabetes are common there. I know there's one in Boston, but I also know there are others. Ask your endocrinologist, and if ds takes meds for the behavioral issue, that physician. If I find the other names of places, I'll bli neder come back and post. Meanwhile, you can see if any of the professionals associated with programs that may not be near you would do Zoom work with you guys.

ETA I think CHOP in Philly does this too.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:43 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
There are programs that specialize in helping kids learn to deal with chronic conditions like this, and teens with diabetes are common there. I know there's one in Boston, but I also know there are others. Ask your endocrinologist, and if ds takes meds for the behavioral issue, that physician. If I find the other names of places, I'll bli neder come back and post. Meanwhile, you can see if any of the professionals associated with programs that may not be near you would do Zoom work with you guys.

ETA I think CHOP in Philly does this too.

Children’s specialized hospital has one too but it’s 100% voluntary (meaning the kid needs to want to go of his own volition)

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 8:33 pm
FWIW his behavioral issues might be caused by autoimmunity, being that he has another diagnosed autoimmune disorder.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics