Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Agan Ha'ayalot, RBS Gimmel-2, Rehovot
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:23 pm
Hi!
After dreaming for several years, we have a realistic possibility to move to EY in 2022. We are starting to do research about communities. Our top priority is our children's success. Hashkafically, I think we would be considered American charedi / out of town yeshivish(?)
DH learned in kollel for several years and is now working. He learns in his spare time. We are hoping to find a community and school system where either a "learning" or "working" ben Torah are both seen as ideal forms of avodas hashem. One friend I spoke to in RBS A recommended we look into starting in RBS Gimmel-2 and to send our kids to one of the RBS A schools that has integration programs. Our oldest will be 7 iyH. My sister lives in neve yaakov and thinks we would love it there, but I get the sense that there's not a community feeling for working balebatim. She mentioned Agan Ha'ayalot in Givat Zeev, does anyone know anything about that community?
I'm also interested in hearing more about the chatam shul community in Rehovot, if anyone knows anything about that...
I know I'm throwing a lot of different things in here. We are just starting to do our research. If anyone has any comment or recommendations on any of this, I would really appreciate your thoughts!

Thank you!

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 7:32 pm
Wow wow! So exciting! Lucky you. IY”H it should go well.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 8:00 pm
Lol there are a million of us your type, wanting to do the same thing. When you have it all figured out, please share!!
(Still not convinced you can raise children to be “American black hat” type in Israel)

amother
Black

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:53 pm
Chatam has a community of people like you. You can check out their website online.
As for schools there is an elementary school for girls which is excellent and more geared to working charadi parents (etz Chaim banot), will have up to 4th Grade next year. There is a charadi chader for boys that is under misrad hachinuch and so teach a higher level of math than a regular chader and also they do English. There is a yeshiva high school starting next year. As of now for girls high schools there is only the regular Israeli charadi beis yakov high school.
The main difference between Rechovot and RBS is the number of Anglos and the types of Israelis.
The more American yeshivish schools in rbs are filled with predominantly Anglo kids. In Rechovot the Anglo community is much smaller and so they are filled with Israeli kids.
IMO The Israelis in rbs tend to fit into the traditional Israeli boxes. If they are charadi, they are very charadi and if dati leumi, they are dati leumi.
In Rechovot the lines are more blurred, there are many sefardim, breslov, and chardal Israelis who also don't want the traditional Israeli charadi lifestyle but want a very frum, learning environment for their kids and they go to the more "American yeshivish type schools".
In Rechovot you'll have a smaller Anglo community which are close on the account of the fact that each person in the community is needed, but your neighbors will most likely be Israeli.
In rbs there are many different shuls and communities to choose from and you can float around. You will likely have lots of Anglo neighbours.
I'm also not sure if all the American schools in rbs are under misrad hachinuch which I personally think is important otherwise they get to make up their own curriculum and are accountable to no one. But that's just my opinion.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:42 am
We are that type and live in rbs g2. We are thrilled with the schools here. (MA, netzach, darchei noam and so many more)

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:52 am
Just one thing about neve yaakov. If your husband is working, then it’s probably not the best place to live if you want friendly neighbors. I know a family who lives there and everyone looks down on them because he isn’t in kollel, but are suddenly his best friend come asking for tzedaka (bcuz if you work, then obviously you’re really rich).

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 1:54 am
Mazal tov!! I don't know anything about those communities, but just wanted to say hatzlacha, and welcome!

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:26 am
I live in Agan Ha’ayalot, Givat Zev and it sounds like you would fit right in!
Just have your kids start learning to speak Hebrew now because even though there are Anglos, the schools are fully in Hebrew.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:28 am
Would you look into regular gimmel?
Gimmel 2 is mainly chassidush but there are some Anglo families there as well. More litvish in G1.

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:36 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Lol there are a million of us your type, wanting to do the same thing. When you have it all figured out, please share!!
(Still not convinced you can raise children to be “American black hat” type in Israel)

You probably can't. This isn't America. The question is whether you can isolate the key elements of this lifestyle that are most important to you and see if you can preserve them in Israel.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:40 am
DrMom wrote:
You probably can't. This isn't America. The question is whether you can isolate the key elements of this lifestyle that are most important to you and see if you can preserve them in Israel.

Exactly.
You can't expect to raise American black-hat kids here, just like I can't move my Israeli kids to NY and expect to raise them Israeli dati leumi there.
Find the closest version if that's what you want. But it will never be the same.

champion

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:50 am
DrMom wrote:

Couldnt agree more.
In any case I have said this many times and will say it again. American Israeli kids CAN have the best of both worlds. If played right they will have the grit and resilience israelis are know for balanced with refinement and derech eretz mixed with a good dose of open mindedness.

essie14

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:02 am
DrMom wrote:

Perfectly said.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:23 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Would you look into regular gimmel?
Gimmel 2 is mainly chassidush but there are some Anglo families there as well. More litvish in G1.

Definitely, if you think it meets our criteria. Can you describe the neighborhood?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:29 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Just one thing about neve yaakov. If your husband is working, then it’s probably not the best place to live if you want friendly neighbors. I know a family who lives there and everyone looks down on them because he isn’t in kollel, but are suddenly his best friend come asking for tzedaka (bcuz if you work, then obviously you’re really rich).

This is what I was kind of suspecting. It's important to us to have a significant percentage of respected members of the community who are "bnei Torah balebatim" (also kollel. Both.)

thank you so much for all your responses. I read every word and really appreciate it! How would you recommend narrowing this down? It seems like the people I speak to all have different opinions and I'm getting confused...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 9:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is what I was kind of suspecting. It's important to us to have a significant percentage of respected members of the community who are "bnei Torah balebatim" (also kollel. Both.)

thank you so much for all your responses. I read every word and really appreciate it! How would you recommend narrowing this down? It seems like the people I speak to all have different opinions and I'm getting confused...

RBS Gimmel definitely has chareidi working families.
Are you planning to do a pilot trip?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:15 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
RBS Gimmel definitely has chareidi working families.
Are you planning to do a pilot trip?

We don't have plans for a pilot trip, but I guess we could consider it. I don't know how we could manage it with our work/school schedules, but if that would be really vital, we can try to work it out

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:17 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:

Wait... What? Neveh Yaakov is massive. There's many Dati leumi people and all sorts of types there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:21 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Chatam has a community of people like you. You can check out their website online.
As for schools there is an elementary school for girls which is excellent and more geared to working charadi parents (etz Chaim banot), will have up to 4th Grade next year. There is a charadi chader for boys that is under misrad hachinuch and so teach a higher level of math than a regular chader and also they do English. There is a yeshiva high school starting next year. As of now for girls high schools there is only the regular Israeli charadi beis yakov high school.
The main difference between Rechovot and RBS is the number of Anglos and the types of Israelis.
The more American yeshivish schools in rbs are filled with predominantly Anglo kids. In Rechovot the Anglo community is much smaller and so they are filled with Israeli kids.
IMO The Israelis in rbs tend to fit into the traditional Israeli boxes. If they are charadi, they are very charadi and if dati leumi, they are dati leumi.
In Rechovot the lines are more blurred, there are many sefardim, breslov, and chardal Israelis who also don't want the traditional Israeli charadi lifestyle but want a very frum, learning environment for their kids and they go to the more "American yeshivish type schools".
In Rechovot you'll have a smaller Anglo community which are close on the account of the fact that each person in the community is needed, but your neighbors will most likely be Israeli.
In rbs there are many different shuls and communities to choose from and you can float around. You will likely have lots of Anglo neighbours.
I'm also not sure if all the American schools in rbs are under misrad hachinuch which I personally think is important otherwise they get to make up their own curriculum and are accountable to no one. But that's just my opinion.

This sounds really attractive! Thank you taking the time to share and explain this. In terms of integration programs for young kids, my oldest will iyH be going into 2nd grade. I know this could be catered to in the RBS schools. What about Rehovot? How do you feel the integration programs compare in the Etz Chaim Banot / boys cheder vs. the schools in RBS?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 4:24 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Wait... What? Neveh Yaakov is massive. There's many Dati leumi people and all sorts of types there.

It sounds like she was sharing an individual experience of one family. Do you live there?

If there is a charedi/anglo/community-minded/working shul/kehilla, I would love to know more about it. Also schools that are slightly more open hashkafically than typical israeli charedi.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions