Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/O not holding by a mainstream American hechsher

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:22 pm
Why do some people not hold by OU, OK, star-K, chaf-K?
In what way is another (smaller? heimish?) hechsher a higher or different standard?

Asking in genuine curiosity. Please keep answers respectful and non-judgmental. TIA..

keym

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:46 pm
There are certain leniencies that some of these hechsherim use that some people are not comfortable with.
For example, one of those hechsherim might randomly check 1 out of every 10 bags of lettuce for bugs. O-U has a policy with tuna (I'm not sure what) that some people aren't comfortable with.
The knife will be checked every 20 chickens, rather than every 10 (let's say).
That kind of stuff that many really big Rabbanim paskened are fine, but other Rabbanim may not be comfortable with some of the policies.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:54 pm
Some people only eat heimeshe hechsherim. We don't, but we use those for chicken/meat/dairy/fish etc. We don't really use Star K for anything. Or OK. OU we use for everything not listed above.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 2:59 pm
keym wrote:
There are certain leniencies that some of these hechsherim use that some people are not comfortable with.
For example, one of those hechsherim might randomly check 1 out of every 10 bags of lettuce for bugs. O-U has a policy with tuna (I'm not sure what) that some people aren't comfortable with.
The knife will be checked every 20 chickens, rather than every 10 (let's say).
That kind of stuff that many really big Rabbanim paskened are fine, but other Rabbanim may not be comfortable with some of the policies.

Just want to emphasize that some really big rabbanim have endorsed the kashrut of the OU and similar, even if some groups don’t hold by them.

keym

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:01 pm
I feel like I need to clarify.
I was staying factual.
OP asked why people don't use it, I answered why.
I did not say what I do or hold of.
My personal opinion or actions are irrelevant.

sky

Post Wed, Mar 03 2021, 3:17 pm
We pick and choose based on food item.

I believe mass produced products under American hechsherim are better then those with Heimesh
In most cases heimish hechsherim are relying on the large American hechsherim anyways.

I’m not saying they are not good. Just we have Chumras with mivushal, pas yisreol, bishul yisroel, bugs etc that many mainstream hechsherim don’t hold are necessary.

Wine - what temp do they use for mevushal. From what point are they careful (we drink very few wine brands)
Tuna - is it bishul? Most aren’t.
Canned vegetables that can’t be eaten raw - is it bishul (most hechsherim including OU and star-K say canned products don’t need to be bishul)
Baked goods (cookies, pretzels, bread, muffins) - pas yisroel
Salmon - some hechsherim rely on skinning on ship and relying on color - I.e. salmon
Lettuce, frozen fruit and vegetables - diff stringencies regarding bugs - sizes, how to check, number allowed
Frozen vegetables - some are par boiled and have bishul yisroel issues like butternut squash
Candy - confectionary glaze (I.e mike and Ike’s and jelly belly)
Meat and chicken - diff Chumras regarding speed, how often check knives, salting methods. We are very particular about brands and switch often what we do or don’t buy. (Will eat most brands at other homes)
Cream of tartar ingredients is problematic bec from wine barrels
Potato chips - bishul yisroel (we do eat all chips but most of DH family doesn’t so I wouldn’t serve at party or to other ppls kuds)
Products containing grape juice - mevusah (gushers and fruit roll up - this is seasonal - sometimes they use pear juice. Grape jam, naturally flavored grape candies or ices).
Jams or pie fillings containing strawberries or blueberries - diff bug guidelines.

This is off the top of my head...I’m sure I’ll think of others later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen