Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
When is the last time you read your kids “McElligot's Pool”
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

When is the last time you read your kids “McElligot's Pool”
Its our favorite book  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Today  
 0%  [ 1 ]
This week  
 1%  [ 2 ]
My kids are older, but we used to read it regularly  
 9%  [ 11 ]
This month  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Never  
 21%  [ 25 ]
What is "McElligot's Pool"?  
 64%  [ 74 ]
Total Votes : 115

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 4:39 pm
Really though an assault on culture, pushing of the envelope, revisionist history, and part of the power grab to censor and "remake society and its values" also it is part of a bait and switch as well.
Like a magic trick, look over here at what we are doing and ignore all the changes government is trying to ram through.
Look at this and ignore the "kids in cages"pouring over at the border. 10% of illegal immigrants reportedly are testing positive for covid but are released into our cities...what happened to all the mask warrioring? the SD rules? the concerns? The rules the pandemic?
And really so much more.
Hey HR1 anyone?

as for the thread title gotta get me copy to check it out...

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 4:52 pm
youngishbear wrote:
The people in charge of preserving Seuss's estate and legacy, in other words, the ones arguably most familiar with what he would have wanted, did it for him.

Your argument is basically that this is their job, so they must be doing it right. That makes no sense. Plenty of people do their jobs poorly.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 5:28 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Your argument is basically that this is their job, so they must be doing it right. That makes no sense. Plenty of people do their jobs poorly.

Your argument is that Seuss' heirs and estate, through his foundation, are bound and determined to "cancel" him and destroy his legacy, ensuring that his books are not read and not available for generations to come.

How does that make any sense?

b.chadash

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 5:31 pm
youngishbear wrote:
The people in charge of preserving Seuss's estate and legacy, in other words, the ones arguably most familiar with what he would have wanted, did it for him.

Even if I were to buy that argument, and would even agree that Dr. Seuss would have cancelled his own books were he alive, the point isn't so much about preserving Dr Suess's legacy. Honestly, as much as I appreciate his genius and what he has done for children's education, I don't personally really care all that much about his legacy.

What I really care about is what this means for all of us in the here and now. This means we are living under this type of tyranny and we are all supposed to smile and swallow it. This is another symptom of this canceling and censorship, and ain l'davar sof! There really is no limit to how far they will take this craziness.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:24 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Even if I were to buy that argument, and would even agree that Dr. Seuss would have cancelled his own books were he alive, the point isn't so much about preserving Dr Suess's legacy. Honestly, as much as I appreciate his genius and what he has done for children's education, I don't personally really care all that much about his legacy.

What I really care about is what this means for all of us in the here and now. This means we are living under this type of tyranny and we are all supposed to smile and swallow it. This is another symptom of this canceling and censorship, and ain l'davar sof! There really is no limit to how far they will take this craziness.

I think this is a slippery slope fallacy. You should evaluate the act itself on its own merits.

And I see nothing wrong with a brand attempting to stay relevant and avoid turning off some of their customer base - even if it annoys others. If you're worried about corporate tyranny, I have some far more disturbing facts to share.

sky

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:29 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I think this is a slippery slope fallacy. You should evaluate the act itself on its own merits.

And I see nothing wrong with a brand attempting to stay relevant and avoid turning off some of their customer base - even if it annoys others. If you're worried about corporate tyranny, I have some far more disturbing facts to share.

Can you tell me what is wrong with this book we are discussing in this thread?

Do you believe calling books racist and using that to stop publishing cheapens the term racist?

I would think it weakens the cause and make it in to a joke

I can’t figure out why ppl aren’t upset about that.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:29 pm
Great point and question sky.

Funny how but a few years ago Dr Suess was a-ok and touted by the Obama White House.

What changed?

b.chadash

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 7:54 pm
youngishbear wrote:

I can't say for sure, but I think you missed my point entirely.

My point is that this act is NOT coming in a vacuum. My point is specifically that it is a leftist driven culture that is causing the company to make these changes. I don't take issue with the company doing whatever they want to do in order to stay relevnat. IT's that the left gets to decide what is defined by relevant, using their own twisted perspective of morality.

And every time a new cancel happens, the traditional conservative people are outraged again, as they see their entire culture being systematically destroyed . The left thinks they are "improving" humanity. The rest of us see destruction.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 7:14 pm
miami85 wrote:
It wasn't one that I read often, but it is a cute book. There are quite a number of read aloud versions on youtube.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbAsU1caVdg

It is a story about a boy and his imagination about "what might go on down below"

The only "offensive" parts are trying to reference "exotic people in exotic places"--which to an American kid in the 1940s was probably something like an Eskimo or Tibetan.

But absolutely NO one seems to be at ALL offended by the rather "hillbilly hick" looking farmer on the first page.

In 1984, the purpose of Big Brother was to take out of circulation anything that might produce creative and therefore revolutionary thought, they suppressed language to make original thought obsolete. That is how you suppress people.

The only thing I can find in common with the 6 banned books are they all involve wild imagination.

If you REALLY wanted to make an argument, I think that PETA should be more involved than anything racist--because they deal with hunting and trapping and taking eggs.

I find it odd that there have been works published postumously--such as The Bippolo Seed (which I have) and people tried hard to find MORE works by Dr. Seuss, and because a group that refuses to put context to history decided that BECAUSE Seuss was a racist therefore we must take out the books with people because they MUST have been done with racism. But we dont' do the same for Shakespeare. We don't ban Airplanes because I'm willing to bet that in Kitty Hawk North Carolina, I'm fairly sure if you look hard enough the Wrights were probably "Racist" by today's definition. We don't Ban Thomas Edison because his incandescent lightbulb wasn't energy efficient--no we celebrate his contribution to science. I've never heard of Isaac Newton being cancelled even though this theories have been improved upon or been proven wrong--no, he is celebrated as the Father of Modern Physics.

The point is that this is taking a cause and turning it on its head for no reason to make a (stupid) point.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics