Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Mold in shredded cheese would you eat?
1  2  Next

If you remove mold in shredded cheese would you eat the remaining cheese?
Yes  
 23%  [ 44 ]
No  
 75%  [ 141 ]
Other please explain below  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 188

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:53 am
If you found mold in a bag of shredded cheese that you can not return. Would you remove the mold and eat the remaining cheese?

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:54 am
Yes, the remaining should be fine.

If the mold was not there when you bought it, consider freezing your shredded cheese so that it lasts longer. That's what we do.

Edit: Nvm, for shredded cheese you should discard for mold. But my advice about freezing still stands, unless you received it with mold already in it, which is gross.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:56 am
No way. Mold has spores and is alive. If one strand has mold, there are live strains in the whole bag.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:57 am
Are you kidding? No way.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:57 am
I stopped buying shredded cheese ages ago because of this. I was always finding that the cheese wasn't fresh at best, or moldy or smelly at worst.

I started buying the big package of muenster instead - comes in a big slab and sold by the pound. I cut it up into smaller slabs and freeze it in ziplock bags. I keep a slab in the fridge and we grate it or slice it as needed.

So much fresher. We got used to it this way.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 12:00 pm
While you can cut out moldy chunks of hard cheese, you cannot do the same with a bag of shredded cheese. Sorry.

Java

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 12:02 pm
eew. no
I've also found that it gets moldy easily, so we store it only in the freezer

professor

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 12:03 pm
I chose other. Return to grocery. But then I saw 1st post. Oh well

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 12:05 pm
I always use within a week of opening the bag because they get bad so fast.

Roots

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 12:29 pm
I freeze as well
gets bad fast

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 12:35 pm
I always freeze my shredded cheese after I found mold once too many times. I use it frozen. It takes a little bit longer to melt than it would otherwise, but this way it doesn't get wasted.

mom4many

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:00 pm
I’d remove the mold and then make sure the cheese smelled ok and then cook well - on pizza or grilled cheese sandwich. Bacteria can’t survive heat.

Just by the way, I’ve eaten French cheeses with mold - camambert, blue cheese, brie... I assume that the mold on them is somehow controlled. But when pregnant they advise to cook the cheese before eating (like raw fish).

Teomima

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:12 pm
I don't buy shredded cheese for this reason. I buy a chunk of cheese and shred it myself, then keep it in a bag in the freezer to avoid mold growth.

You can cut off mold from a chunk of cheese and still safely use the rest (assuming it smells and tastes okay), but you can never know if you've got it all when removing it from shredded cheese.

motherhood613

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:29 pm
I always inspect the bag before I buy just in case. If I find a moldy bag I quietly and privately bring it to someone who works in the store so they become aware of it, and so that no one else accidentally buys that bag.

I would usually be too grossed out though. In my experience usually if there's a little section with mold, there may be other moldy areas too.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:42 pm
I just cut off some mould from a block of cheese. Grated, I would throw out. If the seal breaks the cheese can go mouldy. SInce bags of grated cheese take up more space in my crowded fridge, the seal is much more likely to break.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 1:47 pm
Ew. No. Never.

Crookshanks

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 2:09 pm
I wouldn't, but I bet my mother would;)

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 2:11 pm
mom4many wrote:
I’d remove the mold and then make sure the cheese smelled ok and then cook well - on pizza or grilled cheese sandwich. Bacteria can’t survive heat.

Just by the way, I’ve eaten French cheeses with mold - camambert, blue cheese, brie... I assume that the mold on them is somehow controlled. But when pregnant they advise to cook the cheese before eating (like raw fish).

Mold is not bacteria, it's a fungus. While heat kills mold as well, it does not destroy the mold toxins which are in the food.
Camembert and blue cheese and so on get inoculated with special non-toxic, edible molds. That's different from wild random molds.The reason they ought to be cooked during pregnancy is that the can sometimes accidentally contain Listeria, which are bacteria and do get neutralized by heat.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:01 pm
If I see ant mold, I toss the whole bag.

naomi2

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 10:04 pm
I find that with shredded cheese if there's a little visible mold there is more mold in crevices you can't see, so I toss it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics