Home

Help my 3 year old has 10 cavities
1, 2  Next

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:01 pm
And my dentist wants to fill them in the hospital. Has anyone done this? The dentist said that he could do the fillings in the office with multiple visits but it will be very traumatizing for my ds. He says the hospital procedure would be 1 hour. I am so torn because I am nervous about putting my son under anesthesia. But taking him for 5 visits and holding him down while he screams doesn't sound great either. Would love to hear people's input. Anonymous bec. I've been asking everyone I know for their opinion.

amother

Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:06 pm
I'd seriously consider getting an opinion from a second dentist to confirm that these are all necessary. Sometimes there are major discrepancies in assessments.

cuffs

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:11 pm
Why should the visits be traumatizing? We use laughing gas and the kids watch. Send the x rays for a second opinion

amother

Smokey

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:12 pm
Please go for another opinion. Some dentists say every scratch is a cavity.

amother

OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:13 pm
the older kids watch. he was already screaming at the well visit.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:21 pm
Second opinion

amother

Ginger

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:29 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Second opinion
silver diomide fluoride can halt the cavities from progressing

clowny

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:30 pm
I’d show the x rays to another dentist for second opinion before making a decision.

Once you’ve got a second opinion- I would try the laughing gas. I’ve had great experiences with it.

naomi2

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:32 pm
Get a second opinion from another dentist

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:35 pm
I agree with all those who say to go for a 2nd opinion. I was once told my child had 12 cavities. Took him to a different dentist and it was only 3!

amother

Yellow

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:39 pm
If my son had 10 cavities I would do the hospital choice. It’s way easier and kids that age do well u see ansteisia my son each cavity that’s filled is hell but he never had more then 2 at a time he’s traumatized of the dentist. And I know lots of people who did in the hospital and they said the dentist found more issues and took care of them cause kid was calm

amother

Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 5:40 pm
It's quite common to do all the work in the hospital if your child needs a lot of work. I've done 8 fillings in the dentists office spread over a few appts - my ds was very well behaved.

You know your child best to know if doing the work in the dentists office could work.

bargainlover

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:08 pm
Please go for another opinion!!!

amother

Violet

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 6:25 pm
Definitely a second opinion. Finding cavities is so dentist dependent. Some dentists always find cavities and some dentists rarely find.
Finding cavities is an art and not science apparently Wink

amother

Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:17 pm
I had same thing dentist said a bunch of cavities and to put child to sleep but then went to another dentist and was only 2 .. was told by a friend when dentist puts ur kid to sleep it’s so easy to do work so they just do more work bec easy and make more money but if they up can’t do as much ..

amother

OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:55 pm
Thank you everyone for your replies. You're right about the 2nd opinion

amother

Natural

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:23 pm
I got a second opinion and my son had a lot of cavities. I did the hospital option and it was wonderful. He didn't remember anything, wasn't traumatized, and the whole thing went so smoothly. Multiple appointments holding him down would be insane. I'm so happy I went with the hospital route. It really depends on your kid- some can sit in the dentist chair, my child was hysterical.

amother

Green

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And my dentist wants to fill them in the hospital. Has anyone done this? The dentist said that he could do the fillings in the office with multiple visits but it will be very traumatizing for my ds. He says the hospital procedure would be 1 hour. I am so torn because I am nervous about putting my son under anesthesia. But taking him for 5 visits and holding him down while he screams doesn't sound great either. Would love to hear people's input. Anonymous bec. I've been asking everyone I know for their opinion.

I get very angry when I hear about a dentist who tells you that your choices are either A. sedation dentistry which definitely carries risk and is expensive (but makes the dentists life better), or B. Hold down a kicking and screaming child in the office. Um, NO! How about C. Go to a compassionate and talented pediatric dentist who knows how put kids at ease and work patiently and gently with them?!?

Run from this dentist. Get another opinion. And then a third if need be.

And by the way, were you shown these cavities? Do you know how many are small? How many are large? Baby teeth fall out. Tiny cavities can be watched and ignored unless they become troublesome.

amother

OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:45 pm
My dentist is the most compassionate caring amazing pediatric dentist. He is extremely gentle. He wants to do the cavities in the hospital because he feels that doing the cavities in the office will be traumatic for ds. He doesn't plan on holding down my child. But a 3 year old is not going to just sit quietly while a dentist is working on him.

amother

Plum

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:53 pm
I went the hospital route. It was fine.

The only thing is definitely get a second opinion. I didn't know any better but I found out later that the dentist I used is very trigger happy when it comes to cavities. Probably, my son didn't need all that work.
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h