Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
School not accepting anymore ?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:00 pm
I am a little nervous, I enrolled my oldest son in a school to secure a spot in the school for our family. My younger son I sent to a different school (playgroup) since his sibling goes to the school we ultimately want and assumed the younger brother would have a spot. Well I was notified that they are no longer accepting boys into the preschool next year and my yonger son doesn’t not have a spot in his grade. Why could this be? I don't believe the class is “Full” but I could be wrong. Anyone have this happen? I am nervous they are going to ultimately tell us our older son can not return. Am I being paranoid?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:02 pm
It’s close to impossible for anyone here to know the situation in your case. Why don’t you start with asking the school what’s going on?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:04 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
It’s close to impossible for anyone here to know the situation in your case. Why don’t you start with asking the school what’s going on?
I want to get peace of mind before shabbos. Sounds like my fears may be justified

Cookin4days

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:09 pm
Why would they tell you your eldest can’t return?

Also, did you try applying your youngest to the pre school?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:10 pm
At our school and other schools in our community, registration for the next year closes on Rosh Chodesh Adar. They keep saying that because there's a sibling in the school, we shouldn't assume there's a spot in pre school for a sibling and we must register on time.
Didn't the school send out applications to siblings or remind people to register?
They wouldn't tell you your oldest can't return, don't worry.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am a little nervous, I enrolled my oldest son in a school to secure a spot in the school for our family. My younger son I sent to a different school (playgroup) since his sibling goes to the school we ultimately want and assumed the younger brother would have a spot. Well I was notified that they are no longer accepting boys into the preschool next year and my yonger son doesn’t not have a spot in his grade. Why could this be? I don't believe the class is “Full” but I could be wrong. Anyone have this happen? I am nervous they are going to ultimately tell us our older son can not return. Am I being paranoid?

It sounds like you chose to send your younger son to a different school, so they didn't save a spot for him at the school. Schools do that. In fact, sometimes, they want to make sure to remind people to start their kids as early as possible, not to save money by using a playgroup lest they'll be closed out.

It doesn't sound like they're going to kick out your older son, unless there's something you haven't told us.

Why not give them a call and ask them about a spot for your younger son, and confirm your older son will be returning.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 7:48 pm
It may be a big misunderstanding. We applied last year and was accepted but we spoke to the school about wanting to send somewhere else and enroll next year. They agreed, so I am assuming we slipped through a crack. My husband an I are baal teshuva yeshivish and I hear of stories from other people about not being able to get a child into a school, but I don't know why these things happened to them. So that is why I am a bit nervous. If they don't have room this year, I also wonder if they will have room next year in his grade.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:24 pm
Many times as the grades get older, schools are likely to be able to put more students in the class since they need less individual assistance.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:29 pm
Most schools send a notice about the deadline to enroll siblings. Did they send that out this year?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:32 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Most schools send a notice about the deadline to enroll siblings. Did they send that out this year?
Yes, due to timing, we were already accepted and enrolled at that point. Then we withdrew with the understanding that the school would let him come the following year. Based on the conversation I thought he had a spot in the class

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, due to timing, we were already accepted and enrolled at that point. Then we withdrew with the understanding that the school would let him come the following year. Based on the conversation I thought he had a spot in the class

Once you withdraw the application, you lose the spot. Try to talk to the school and explain yourself.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:52 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Once you withdraw the application, you lose the spot. Try to talk to the school and explain yourself.
but I spoke to them before I withdrew and asked if he could come back the following year before I took him out of the class. I guess what they meant was not clear to me, seems like some think I was supposed to reapply, but it was at the time of applications, so if that was they case I would think they would have said fill another formal application now. But they just agreed that he could come back the next year.

Thanks everyone, I know I wont get a resolution, but the responses are helping me understand how things “should” have gone, and what I should have done.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:57 pm
Yes I would assume you need to apply for the next year, since you didn't attend the previous year you are not a student in their system yet. Since your other child is in the school, I would call someone high up, not the secretary and try to push. And explain how you misunderstood.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:59 pm
What do you mean go back next year? He was in the school already and you switched him to another school assuming that they'll hold your slot for a year?
I think you should call the school and talk to them about it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 6:12 am
Yes, DS was in class before Yom Tov, which is why I assumed I didnt need to “apply” again, and they didn't mention that I should re-apply.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, DS was in class before Yom Tov, which is why I assumed I didnt need to “apply” again, and they didn't mention that I should re-apply.

He started the school year in the school and you pulled him out during the year expecting them to save the slot without you paying tuition for the slot? You misunderstood, it doesn't work this way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics