Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Naturally Skinny People
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:42 pm
They say that whether or not you are thin or heavy has to do with your genetic makeup. Many overweight people torture themselves their entire adult lives, yet never manage to get thin. Your body has a set point it wants to be at.

And I believe that is true, because I see it in families.

BUT, I have also observed that there are certain habits that naturally skinny people have. And by the same token, there are habits of overweight people (such as myself.) And I believe that genetics is only half of it. These habits will play a big role.

I have a good friend and fellow teacher who is so thin, she makes it a point to drink special fattening drinks so she could gain some weight. And yet, except when she is pregnant, she is always underweight. I have noticed that despite her best efforts to gain weight, she has certain habits that I can only hope to emulate.

I have observed that:
1. She eats quite often, about every two hours.
2. When she eats, she eats very slowly and deliberately. She doesn't look at her phone or grade papers or do other things while she eats.
3. When at an event, she gravitates to the people and uses the time to socialize.
4. At a simcha or function, she often will not eat. She enjoys her own food, not so much catered food.
5. She eats lots of fruits and vegetables.
6. She uses whole wheat in her baked goods, whenever possible. She bakes her own bread with half white and half ww.
7. She never takes the elevator at school.
8. She drinks only water. Doesn't use splenda ever.

Contrast that with my habits:
1. I will go hours without eating and then eat a LOT at meals.
2. I'm always doing other things while I eat. I read, talk on the phone or drive...
3. At an event, I gravitate towards the buffet table. I try everything. I fill up my plate and go for seconds and thirds.
4. I look forward to going to a simcha for the food. embarrassed. I love eating catered foods, and will eat every course. I get upset if my husband wants to leave before the desert is served. I eat my plate clean.
5. It doesnt occur to me to eat fruits or vegetables on a regular basis. I'll eat it if it's in front of me, but I won't take the time to clean and cut it. I will always choose the starch over the vegetable.
6. I dont use whole wheat unless I'm actively dieting. I go for processed, refined grains.
7. I never take the stairs if I can help it. I park my car as close as I can to my destination. I get almost no exercise.
8. I use splenda in my coffee and like diet drinks

So you see...its not just my genes. It's also my habits.
I have observed other heavy people (people who are always dieting) and they have the same bad habits as me. One very overweight friend only uses splenda in her salad dressings. But she and her family eat out several times a month. Another very overweight (but always dieting) friend buys takeout a lot.

In my family, my parents and siblings are all overweight. My mother overcooks and serves in abundance. Her house is always stocked with nosh and cake. Cake is always sitting on the counter in a cake plate. All the grandkids know exactly where the nosh is and run to that cabinet the second they come into the house.

My husbands family, his parents and siblings are all thin to normal. My mil cooks enough but nothing extra. She has cake but she keeps it in the freezer. If there is a nosh cabinet in her house, I dont know where it is.

If you are naturally skinny, can you share some of your food habits?

mig100

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:45 pm
I think its a lot genetics. I was skinny for most of my life. I never had the best eating habits are strict diets.

fmt4

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:46 pm
I’m naturally skinny and have terrible eating habits. I do nothing that your friend does.
The one thing I don’t do is nervous eat. Food is not a comfort thing to me, and if I’m anxious or stressed I eat less, not more.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:49 pm
I’m not skinny nor fat. I’m 5’5” and weigh 145.

I Absolutely know what your talking about! All my skinny friends just eat smaller portions and less often (whether they realize it or not).
It is extremely rare to see someone who overeats be so skinny.

I’m a huge eater and say I should really weigh 200 lbs so I’m not complaining.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 8:59 pm
I don't agree at all. I know many many thin people who have extremely unhealthy eating habits and many heavy people who are heavy despite eating whole grain, fruits and vegetables, no nosh, drinking only water etc.

I believe it is mainly genetics, but obviously your eating habits have a huge effect. But I don't see that thinner people have better eating habits at all, in fact the opposite.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:00 pm
Gravitating towards buffets, catered foods, desserts and starches isn’t just a habit. It’s a neurochemical wiring. Like an addiction. Same reason it doesn’t occur to you to eat fruits and vegetables. They don’t give you a fix. Very often inflammation is at the root of this wiring, and that is the same reason your body holds on to calories. And so even when you try to emulate your friends habits, your body will never look like hers. Same for her. Her eating less isn’t necessarily a habit, she got lucky In that her brain just isn’t obsessed with food all the time.

All that said, I think this is true only some of the time. I know thin people who have awful eating habits and heavier people who really eat well.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:03 pm
I have a different theory. I read the book intuitive eating, and the basis of it is that we are all born to know what foods and how much our bodies need. Genetically bodies come in different sizes, so it will be different for everyone.We know to eat when we’re hungry, and stop when we’re full. We know what foods make us feel good and what foods don’t.
BUT when we go on diets to try to change our habits, or have shame around food we stop listening to our intuition regarding food. Or it also depends how we were brought up, if you were forced to clean your plate as a child you learn to ignore the fullness signals.
So my theory is that thin people are naturally intuitive eaters because they never messed with it.
Not the other way around, that they are thin because they are intuitive eaters.

People with bigger bodies were body shamed, or made to feel bad so they changed their eating habits, and are not so in tune with what our bodies need.
1 - So we will skip meals, ignore our hunger signal, and then overeat because we’re famished.
2 - deprive ourselves of treats, or feel quilty when eating them.so we are always craving them and have binging episodes.
3 - overeat and go for seconds because we don’t know how to listen to our fullness signals and cues.
4 - don’t think about how food makes our body feel, so we don’t eat the fruits and vegetables.
5 - we have “food rules” exp sugar is bad so we eat Splenda instead

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:18 pm
I think it is really impossible to figure out the "real reasons" why other people are thin or heavy. We don't live in their heads and know their every passing thought regarding food and their emotions related to food.

People have relationships with food and eating and relationships are complicated. Genetics and habits both play a role but I don't think there are any official magical rules to follow to emulate "thin-person behavior."

That being said, there are definitely clear healthier behaviors and unhealthy behaviors when it comes to eating. But I don't think following those will guarantee any weight change.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:18 pm
Girl, you do NOT want to know my habits LOL
Let me try got compare to your friend’s:

1-I eat 1 meal a day, and it’s at 8pm. I have a granola bar after work in my car on the way to picking up the kids, and then random nibbling at their leftovers.
2- I inhale my food.
3 and 4- I don’t like to eat in public
5- I’m extremely picky and will not touch a fruit or vegetable (unless you count French fries)
6- I also hate the taste of ww
7- there’s no elevator or stairs at work. But I do prefer to take the stairs whenever I have that option.
8- only water, I don’t like any other drink

I am naturally skinny, but unnaturally underweight. And I love my body ❤️

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:50 pm
I’m thin and have always been thin ( though it’s getting harder as I get older), but my food habits are a little weird.

In general, I do eat fairly frequently, and try to have healthy-ish things with me - fruits, nuts, etc. I love walking and always take the stairs if I can. I’m quite regimented in my eating - I always have my meals and snacks at certain points. I used to eat a ton of junk on a regular basis, but have cut down on it, as the older I get, the less calorie wiggle room I have.

That said, I’m a bit of a hoarder regarding food, as I have this horror of going hungry (honestly not sure where this food anxiety came from). I’m always carrying some kind of snack with me. My work bag has approximately 10000 calories in it at any given time. I may not touch any of it for weeks (it’s usually stuff like dried fruit or chocolate) and even then only have a little. If I left home without something (very rare because I also have a stash of snacky things in the car), I’ll buy something.

All this to say that even though I’d say I have a pretty healthy diet, I’m not sure my relationship to food is always healthy.

sun inside rain

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:51 pm
I agree with HeartyApetite. Because heavy people know they “shouldn’t” be overeating or eating certain foods, they obsess over it more and thin people view food as neutral, it doesn’t hold the ‘forbidden waters’ factor so they can tune into their natural inner intuition and see food.. as food.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:54 pm
My sils are extremely thin. They eat at every shmorgesboard at weddings, eat chocolate and danishes for lunch, and never gain an ounce. Me on the other hand....smell cake and gain 2 pounds instantly.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:56 pm
sun inside rain wrote:
I agree with HeartyApetite. Because heavy people know they “shouldn’t” be overeating or eating certain foods, they obsess over it more and thin people view food as neutral, it doesn’t hold the ‘forbidden waters’ factor so they can tune into their natural inner intuition and see food.. as food.
I think the obsession comes first, and then the attempt to rein it in with moral judgment.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Girl, you do NOT want to know my habits LOL
Let me try got compare to your friend’s:

1-I eat 1 meal a day, and it’s at 8pm. I have a granola bar after work in my car on the way to picking up the kids, and then random nibbling at their leftovers.
2- I inhale my food.
3 and 4- I don’t like to eat in public
5- I’m extremely picky and will not touch a fruit or vegetable (unless you count French fries)
6- I also hate the taste of ww
7- there’s no elevator or stairs at work. But I do prefer to take the stairs whenever I have that option.
8- only water, I don’t like any other drink

I am naturally skinny, but unnaturally underweight. And I love my body ❤️

You barely eat of course you are thin.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 10:03 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
You barely eat of course you are thin.

No, I specified that I am naturally thin.
But because I barely eat, I am unnaturally underweight.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 10:14 pm
I’m similar to ur friend - I drink coffee with milk no sugar. I don’t bring Splenda into the house- it’s junk. U won’t find any soda in my house either. My kids drink water or seltzer with splash of grape juice. Orange juice is for breakfast and half cup not more - we have apple juice once in awhile like for dinner maybe. All the juice alone is so unhealthy ppl don’t realize. I love baking everything with spelt or whole wheat. I leave the sugar out of pancake batter - why need it if we have maple syrup? It takes months sometimes to use up a bag of sugar in my house. I love to visualize what I’ll make for lunch or supper and then make it and sit down and savor it though I will be on my phone the entire time. By kiddushim I’m too distracted to enjoy eating and ppl have to remind me to go take a plate. I eat throughout the day- can’t fast more than 3 hours at a time. on the other hand I have a chocolate obsession and can eat chips and cookies without gaining ... so u cld see it’s a mix

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 10:16 pm
No, I specified that I am naturally thin.
But because I barely eat, I am unnaturally underweight.

How would you know if ur naturally thin? Did you ever eat 3 meals a day plus snacks?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 10:20 pm
Plus my dh used to be 35 lb heavier when we first married his mother served portions that were meant for 10 ppl instead of one. After being married to me like about a year - without trying my dh automatically took on my eating habits and started to feel sick when served by my mil - leaving 3/4 of the plate full whereas he used to be able to finish it all off.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 10:21 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
How would you know if ur naturally thin? Did you ever eat 3 meals a day plus snacks?

Until I started having kids, I would eat a ton. Since I’m picky, my diet was pizza, pasta, ice cream, and junk. Breakfast was cake or cookies or a milkshake (no coffee because I don’t like anything other than water.) lunch was pizza or pasta, supper was pizza or pasta. Sometimes I would have something else for supper, but like tacos or burgers, nothing low in calories or fat or carbs.
Snack was junk and ice cream.
I am 5’6, and I always weighed 120-125, which is thin. Now I weigh 110-115, which is probably borderline underweight.
I just don’t have time to eat. I don’t take my mask off at work, and then I’m too busy after work to eat. So I nibble a bit. Once the kids are in bed, I have a normal supper.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 10:26 pm
Until I started having kids, I would eat a ton. Since I’m picky, my diet was pizza, pasta, ice cream, and junk. Breakfast was cake or cookies or a milkshake (no coffee because I don’t like anything other than water.) lunch was pizza or pasta, supper was pizza or pasta. Sometimes I would have something else for supper, but like tacos or burgers, nothing low in calories or fat or carbs.
Snack was junk and ice cream.
I am 5’6, and I always weighed 120-125, which is thin. Now I weigh 110-115, which is probably borderline underweight.
I just don’t have time to eat. I don’t take my mask off at work, and then I’m too busy after work to eat. So I nibble a bit. Once the kids are in bed, I have a normal supper.

If I would eat as infrequently as you do, I would probably pass out!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise