Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Anyone planning to travel from US to Canada for Pesach?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 04 2021, 11:21 pm
Thank you for sharing that app info. Very helpful info too.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:04 am
Don’t get so hysterical. I’ve been back and forth a lot and don’t quarantine. Most people I know get exempt or go out anyways.
It doesn’t have to be such an issue

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:13 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Don’t get so hysterical. I’ve been back and forth a lot and don’t quarantine. Most people I know get exempt or go out anyways.

well done.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:10 am

First of all I hear they’ve become stricter with checking up on people
Second of all, what about shuls? I thought they don’t want people coming who’ve been out of the country.
Third of all, how do visitors get an exemption. They haven’t been to the states for an essential reason.
Fourth of all, I’m not looking to trick the system. I don’t think community members would feel comfortable if I was out and about. (Don’t people care that you’re not quarantining after being in a different country? With the dif strains and all)

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:16 am

I’ve also gone back and forth but I’m nervous about when hundreds of people are all of a sudden going for essential reasons at once.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 7:39 am
They've been doing this for years, they know the Jewish holidays by now. They know exactly why everyone is coming.. But if you or your husband is a Canadian citizen they gotta let you in. I went for succos, (with copied birth certificates for my kids and expired Canadian passport for my husband) and so many others also went.

Back then I heard that border don't really care.

ETA-Don't know how it's now, but succos time, I can't remember the reason we said we're coming, but said something, gave an address and phone number. Few people gave that same address and they asked us about it, my husband said it's an apt house.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 8:15 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
They've been doing this for years, they know the Jewish holidays by now. They know exactly why everyone is coming.. But if you or your husband is a Canadian citizen they gotta let you in. I went for succos, (with copied birth certificates for my kids and expired Canadian passport for my husband) and so many others also went.

ETA-Don't know how it's now, but succos time, I can't remember the reason we said we're coming, but said something, gave an address and phone number. Few people gave that same address and they asked us about it, my husband said it's an apt house.

Exactly. There are so many people who go and so many people whose kids come for yom Tov. I know almost no one who who takes this whole thing as seriously as the posters are saying.

amother
White

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 9:45 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I live in Montreal and my siblings who live in the US are planning to come.
You need to Covid test prior to crossing the border as well as at the beginning and end of quarantine.

And I heard that these tests have to be bought through the government for big$$. It'll add up fast for a family.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I guess we can tell the border that we'll quarantine in the parents' basement?

If you aren’t taking it seriously, please don’t come. I know someone who blew it all off and started an outbreak in the Jewish community. The husband got really sick and they have expressed sincere regret since.

What a disrespectful post. And a Chillul hashem. Follow the rule of the land or don’t come here.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:24 am
Double post

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:42 am
I live in Montreal and have been back and forth a few times.

If you are all Canadian citizens they cannot deny entry to Canada.
You all need negative pcr tests taken in the US in the past 72 hours (I think it’s 72)
They give you a kit to take home to take a covid test one on day 1 and one on day 10. You do the test at home and they pick it up. If day 10 will fall out on YT you may have a problem.
You need to report your symptoms every day, either by calling in or using the app, I don’t know how one would get around that on YT.
Quarantining in a basement w a separate bathroom should not be a problem, even better if it has a private entrance.
They DO come check on you!! Expect to see them at your door. They also call, and if you miss calls on YT they are more likely to come visit.

They will definitely be nastier by the border pesach time. Make sure all your Canadian papers are in order.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:42 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
And I heard that these tests have to be bought through the government for big$$. It'll add up fast for a family.

The tests are free

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:44 am

They will absolutely NOT let through the spouse of a Canadian by most of the borders at this point. Last I heard Vermont was the only ones still allowing it. You ALL need to have Canadian citizenship.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:45 am
Exactly. There are so many people who go and so many people whose kids come for yom Tov. I know almost no one who who takes this whole thing as seriously as the posters are saying.

Don't take it seriously. Risk the fines. Risk our health.

Thanks.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 10:46 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
First of all I hear they’ve become stricter with checking up on people
Second of all, what about shuls? I thought they don’t want people coming who’ve been out of the country.
Third of all, how do visitors get an exemption. They haven’t been to the states for an essential reason.
Fourth of all, I’m not looking to trick the system. I don’t think community members would feel comfortable if I was out and about. (Don’t people care that you’re not quarantining after being in a different country? With the dif strains and all)

We recently had relatives come to us from Canada for a simcha. They had no trouble going back.
The entire family had tested positive for covid within 5 weeks so they didn’t feel so guilty pretending to quarantine.
The fines aren’t given so quickly. They have to prove you are out of the house. So if you don’t come to door bec sleeping or in bathroom they can only start coming more often. Unless they actually catch you out of the house (or ppl report you).
They also only check certain times of day. Like 8am-8pm.
My FIL also went recently for 24 hrs. No one gave him any problems. He needed proof of PCR test within 24 hrs. Bikur cholim here does that.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 11:09 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
They will absolutely NOT let through the spouse of a Canadian by most of the borders at this point. Last I heard Vermont was the only ones still allowing it. You ALL need to have Canadian citizenship.

Are you for certain or just repeating what you heard? I'm very curious about this. Can anyone weigh in?

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 11:23 am
Are you for certain or just repeating what you heard? I'm very curious about this. Can anyone weigh in?

I’m sorry, your right. Canadians will let in spouses, the US will not. It’s going into the states where people have been turned around.

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 11:29 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Don't take it seriously. Risk the fines. Risk our health.

Thanks.

That’s your opinion. I’m following the science too. I was in Florida with half of Canada by the way and they’re doing great physically and especially mentally. You know the Canadian government is making draconian non sensible rules to cover their incompetence.
You’re quoting one case. It’s comical because I’ve never seen so much back and forth to Miami and Lakewood as now during corona. So you can live under a rock and think no ones going. Everyone I know is going back and forth.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 11:35 am
That’s your opinion. I’m following the science too. I was in Florida with half of Canada by the way and they’re doing great physically and especially mentally. You know the Canadian government is making draconian non sensible rules to cover their incompetence.
You’re quoting one case. It’s comical because I’ve never seen so much back and forth to Miami and Lakewood as now during corona. So you can live under a rock and think no ones going. Everyone I know is going back and forth.

I agree with most of this besides for that there’s more back and forth. People are very hesitant to travel, not because of safety concerns but because it’s a pain in the neck right now. If you go as a family your kids are out of school for 2 weeks. Most of my friends haven’t been to their inlaws in over a year. Everyone is thinking twice before they leave. We’re usually in the US so often, my kids have been out of Canada once in the past 18 months and that was only because it wasn’t avoidable.

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 11:37 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
I’m sorry, your right. Canadians will let in spouses, the US will not. It’s going into the states where people have been turned around.

U.S. side has always made it harder to go through.

I know someone who went with a few week old baby, no birth certificate yet so she left the hospital band on baby's foot. Only her husband is Canadian. Way going they passed uneventful. Coming back They were sent in and got yelled at, maybe you kidnapped the baby. After being kept up a couple of hours they were let go.

There days though the Canadian side turns away plenty as well. People try to come in commercial and fail. People don't have enough or the right papers and are turned away.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics