Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Pride and Preference by Barbara Bensoussan

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 11:57 am
I just finished reading it, it was so funny!! laughed all the way through Laugh
My only thing was that some of the boy-girl interactions weren't sooo realistic, but I guess she did her best

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:52 pm
I loved it too and never even read the original version! I don't want to go off topic or be hurtful, but why are you amother? I love knowing who I'm talking to when I hear someone else loved the same book that I did:)

Java

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 12:59 pm
Lol it's me Smile you're totally right btw! Idk why I tend to default to amother for even not personal stuff Smile

Java

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:00 pm
I read the original version in high school but didn't really remember it... reading pride and preference brought it back Smile

cnc

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:00 pm
I LOVED it!!!!!

Was absolutely amazing!

Java

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:07 pm
I had so much fun reading it- laughed the whole way through Smile Like I said in my OP, the only thing that I didn't find so realistic was how much the girls and boys interacted- I know the brooklyn yeshivish singles crowd and that does NOT happen! But I guess she had to keep it true to the original story

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:12 pm
cutestbaby wrote:
I had so much fun reading it- laughed the whole way through Smile Like I said in my OP, the only thing that I didn't find so realistic was how much the girls and boys interacted- I know the brooklyn yeshivish singles crowd and that does NOT happen! But I guess she had to keep it true to the original story

Ya but I enjoyed the story too much to let that derail me. I also found the mother's personality a but much and yucky but it all added to the story.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 1:13 pm
cutestbaby wrote:
Lol it's me Smile you're totally right btw! Idk why I tend to default to amother for even not personal stuff Smile

You shouldn't though because then people can't get to know you. I try to post under my SN as much as I can, especially when I'm arguing with people Laugh

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 4:16 pm
I enjoyed the book.

It was really funny.

Totally not realistic but still great.

The mother made me crazy. Lol

Java

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 10:29 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I enjoyed the book.

It was really funny.

Totally not realistic but still great.

The mother made me crazy. Lol

Lol me too!! That's the way she was in the original too, though Smile Did you read the original?

b.chadash

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 10:32 pm
I read it and really enjoyed it! I also recently read the original, so it was even more interesting for me.
They should do more spoofs on classics.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 10:33 pm
b.chadash wrote:
I read it and really enjoyed it! I also recently read the original, so it was even more interesting for me.
They should do more spoofs on classics.

Doing Jane Austen, particularly Pride and Prejudice, is a thing.

Java

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 10:44 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Doing Jane Austen, particularly Pride and Prejudice, is a thing.

I really like reading spoofs! I love how it helps me understand the plot of the orignial

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 7:36 pm
It's been a while but IIRC the mother in the original was crazy-making too.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:42 am
Anon because I have said this in real life.

The book was adorable and very well done. It was bound to the original but also its own entity. I had a good time reading it.

However, there was a vein of mild inappropriateness throughout the book. For example, one of the girls found one of the boys "good looking," and flushed at the thought. And the sheer amount of interaction between the couples before they were couples is a problem.

I know that the author worked very hard to make each interaction accidental, and there were almost always other characters around while they talked, but I found that I did not feel comfortable passing the book on to my teenage girls. Maybe it's because I live in a charedi community in Israel, and in other places this would be totally fine? It's very possible!

fleetwood

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 6:25 am
My daughter just read pride and prejudice in school. Her principal just gave her this book,so far she loves it and finds it funny

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 6:37 am
One of my best buys. And I buy a lot!😉
She did a great job with the characters and loved the way I really had feelings for some of them.

freilich

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:10 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Anon because I have said this in real life.

The book was adorable and very well done. It was bound to the original but also its own entity. I had a good time reading it.

However, there was a vein of mild inappropriateness throughout the book. For example, one of the girls found one of the boys "good looking," and flushed at the thought. And the sheer amount of interaction between the couples before they were couples is a problem.

I know that the author worked very hard to make each interaction accidental, and there were almost always other characters around while they talked, but I found that I did not feel comfortable passing the book on to my teenage girls. Maybe it's because I live in a charedi community in Israel, and in other places this would be totally fine? It's very possible!

So that is why I didn't give it to my daughters to read. If I remember correctly, I think it has a disclaimer in the back that parental supervision is needed.

As for myself, I loved reading it, and laughed my way through!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room