Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
S/o If you have lost a lot of weight and kept it off for 5 y
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 5:10 pm
So naturally thin people don't have to work at being thin. And heavy people are doomed to a life of struggle...is that it?

Is it really true that most people who lose a lot of weight regain it within a short time, with interest? That has been my experience, and it seems like most people I know.

If you have lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off for five years, can you please tell us about your experience?
Thank you!

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 05 2021, 9:41 pm
Yeah. I was diagnosed with an eating disorder.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 7:20 pm
I had a lap band put in 12 years ago and it was the best thing I could ever do, physically and psychologically. I see people are rather doing the sleeve or gastric bypass The last few years but unfortunately I also see those people starting to regain weight after 5 years. The lap band can be adjusted! I lost 100 pounds!

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 7:38 pm
My DH did it.

Strength training is probably key, because without it you'll lose muscle along the way, and therefore slow your metabolism. Gaining muscle = speeding metabolism.

Also your attitude makes a difference. It needs to be about wanting to live a healthier lifestyle and feel healthy. If your trying a quick fix to lose X amount by summer that's a sign it probably won't be long term. Dont go on an extreme all or nothing diet. It should be about the journey not the destination.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 7:47 pm
I have lost significant amounts of weight only to gain it all back each time.
I lost 70 pounds. Had a baby gained it all back plus.
I lost 60 pounds. Had a major life crisis and gained it all back.
I lost 40 pounds. Couldn't keep up my highly restrictive diet and gained it all back.

I am only 27.

Personally, I cannot think of anyone I know who was heavy and lost a lot of weight and really kept it off long term.

I have resigned myself that this is my big mental health nisayon in life. People struggle with anxiety, depression, perfectionism.... I struggle with my weight, eating and food. Intuitive eating principles helps me maintain my sanity.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 7:55 pm
Another person who lost close to 100 pounds with the lapband and bH has kept most of it off for the past 10 years or so...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 8:06 pm
Thank you to those who responded.
Kol hakavod to those who did surgery. I'm sure that was very courageous.
I don't know much about the different types of surgeries people do, but I have seen people gain back weight even after having lost all their weight following surgery.
I am personally not in the category of people who woud be a candidate for surgery.
I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who lost significant weight with diet and exercise.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 8:07 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Yeah. I was diagnosed with an eating disorder.

Sorry to hear that.
How did that help you keep off the weight?

momomany

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:14 pm
maintaining 80-90 lb loss for 17 years. GsA (greysheet - OA)

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:32 pm
I’ve lost 110. Kept the first eighty off four years and lost thirty more. Pretty much diet alone.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:33 pm
I have lost weight and in general kept off for 5 years. I do more of a high fat keto. If you want more info, I can provide.

I recently found this app DietBet that people have been successful with. A couple of people who lost more than 100 pounds that started with DietBet now run Diet Bets on their own. Through DietBet, I also discovered Ilana Muhlstein who seems to have some good ideas. I've also seen people successful with the diet app Noom.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:39 pm
momomany wrote:
maintaining 80-90 lb loss for 17 years. GsA (greysheet - OA)

I have a very close friend who has been doing GraySheet for years. It's been so many levels of amazing for her!

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:46 pm
I've lost over 50 pounds, keeping off bli ayin hora just about 7 yrs
doing TLC (food program, jewish version of OA)

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Mar 06 2021, 9:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sorry to hear that.
How did that help you keep off the weight?

One of the symptoms of my eating disorder is low body weight. It’s something I’ve been struggling with for years.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:14 am
andrea levy wrote:
I’ve lost 110. Kept the first eighty off four years and lost thirty more. Pretty much diet alone.

Ive seen you post about your weight loss before. Do you recommend your eating plan for everyone or is it for a specofic profile?
Is there a name to this plan?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 12:29 am
The reason most people regain the weight is because our bodies have a ‘set-point’. Which means the body adjusts to feel comfortable at a weight that was maintained for some time (believed to be 2 years).therefore when someone loses weight they need to keep it off for at least 2 years for the body to readjust it’s set-point otherwise it is trying to go back to the previous set-point which is the overweight one

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 1:39 am
How can I find more info about the TLC program?

DVOM

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 4:57 am
Lost about 100lbs 8 years ago. OA. Gaining now in a slow and healthy climb upward because I'm pregnant.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 5:20 am
I lost 70lb in OA and kept it off for over 5 years. I've met many who have maintained significant weight loss. It's an amazing program!

lamplighter

Post Sun, Mar 07 2021, 6:22 am
I am a walking statistic. The only difference is that my regaining has almost always been connected to having a baby.
I wonder if I could maintain weightloss once I finished having kids.
Otherwise its been losing 50 lbs, getting pregnant and gaining it all back plus by a few months postpartum and doing it again and again, watching my set point rise.
Each time it is more depressing than the next.
Signed,
mom to a 6 month old baby and 50 lbs to lose (to be normal weight forget skinny)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise