Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Help! Bnos Avigail seminary
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

watergirl

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 7:27 am
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Yes she made a mistake on this, but it doesn't take away from her years of experience with seminary girls and she is a brilliant woman.
I wonder if she took back her statements.

She did. But no one cares about that. She said she made her statement with the information she was given and did not find out for herself. This is a mistake many of our leaders make today.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 7:30 am
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Yes she made a mistake on this, but it doesn't take away from her years of experience with seminary girls and she is a brilliant woman.
I wonder if she took back her statements.

I wouldn't feel safe if my daughter ever Chas vshalom went through something that it would be handled and treated properly because of her statements.

Even if she took them back, it shows her way of thinking of viewing these kinds of things.

I'd want the principal of my daughters seminary to know how to handle and view victims of abuse and not blame, doubt, or guilt them anymore than they already have.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 8:14 am
amother [ Tuberose ] wrote:
I wouldn't feel safe if my daughter ever Chas vshalom went through something that it would be handled and treated properly because of her statements.

Even if she took them back, it shows her way of thinking of viewing these kinds of things.

I'd want the principal of my daughters seminary to know how to handle and view victims of abuse and not blame, doubt, or guilt them anymore than they already have.

Oh come on! This is sooo not a reason not to send. The exact wording someone says about a high profile case has no relationship to how they will react if someone they care about deeply gets abused. The first is theoretical, and often virtue signaling. The real question is their attitudes if faced with this happening to someone they know who comes and confides to them. If Rebetzin Heller’s reputation checks out well, then I would send.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 8:45 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Oh come on! This is sooo not a reason not to send. The exact wording someone says about a high profile case has no relationship to how they will react if someone they care about deeply gets abused. The first is theoretical, and often virtue signaling. The real question is their attitudes if faced with this happening to someone they know who comes and confides to them. If Rebetzin Heller’s reputation checks out well, then I would send.

I didn’t read her statement, but if it bothers someone, then of course it’s a reason not to send. I had an issue with my daughter in school with a sub, and the principal responded my my long email with “that teacher won’t sub in your daughter’s class anymore.” The sub had said awful things, and not just to my daughter, but to other girls and to the class as a whole. I no longer felt like the principal was looking out for my daughter, and we pulled her out of that school. We didn’t pull her out just for this, but this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. At the end of the day, if the parents don’t feel like the school will have their kid’s back, then they need a different school.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 9:36 am
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
I never comment on these threads because I am too close to the center of seminaries. I just have to say that my husband and I are VERY involved in many seminaries and the girls at Bnos Avigayil are amazing. When we spend Shabbos with the seminary the girls go out of there way to introduce themselves and thank us for coming. They go out of their way to make my teenage daughter feel welcome (doesn't happen at any other seminary). They are great to have as Shabbos guests helpful and engage in conversation on a variety of topics. I would recommend BA to any OOT family that is looking for a fabulous experience for their daughter. It is NOT an "in town" seminary. Maybe 1 or 2 girls from Lakewood a year. But most girls are from large OOT communities. I am always impressed with the girls from BA and I can sit 20 seminary girls from many different seminaries a Shabbos meal ( and remember I am not a random family they got set up with they know us from inside the seminary world).

Sounds like they have great middos!
What about level of frumkeit? Can you give some insight on that?

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jun 15 2023, 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 10:12 am
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
I didn’t read her statement, but if it bothers someone, then of course it’s a reason not to send. I had an issue with my daughter in school with a sub, and the principal responded my my long email with “that teacher won’t sub in your daughter’s class anymore.” The sub had said awful things, and not just to my daughter, but to other girls and to the class as a whole. I no longer felt like the principal was looking out for my daughter, and we pulled her out of that school. We didn’t pull her out just for this, but this was the straw that broke the camel’s back. At the end of the day, if the parents don’t feel like the school will have their kid’s back, then they need a different school.

It wasn't the OP who said she was bothered. It was an amother who we don't even know has any personal connection to the seminary.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 10:16 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
It wasn't the OP who said she was bothered. It was an amother who we don't even know has any personal connection to the seminary.

I know, I said if it bothers SOMEONE. I’m just saying it’s not something that people should just say “oh, come on” to. I know that wasn’t OPs concern.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 10:17 am
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
I know, I said if it bothers SOMEONE. I’m just saying it’s not something that people should just say “oh, come on” to. I know that wasn’t OPs concern.

Sorry she gave her opinion. So can I. Especially if this wasn't personal for her. And it's possibly irrelevant and distracting to the OP.

TravelHearter

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 10:32 am
Elfrida wrote:
Rebbitzen Heller.

It is in Har Nof, on the Neve campus.

It’s also run by Rabbi Kass.
It was started by Rabbi Refson and is under his auspices as a Neve school.

nelliesmellie

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 7:53 am
Can anyone update this on how their daughter is doing there this year?

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 7:58 am
So confused as to why someone’s parents being divorced should affect their ability to go to seminary? Anyone care to explain?

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 8:02 am
amother Pansy wrote:
So confused as to why someone’s parents being divorced should affect their ability to go to seminary? Anyone care to explain?

Maybe a financial issue? Other than that I agree with you.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 8:37 am
amother Pansy wrote:

I 100% disagree with the sentiment and do not endorse it all but many people may stupidly think this means they are from not typical families and are not typical girls.

amother
Offwhite

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 8:54 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
It's really funny how people on here are so conformist they're afraid of Russians. Lol. There's a pretty big world out there, FYI. And sometimes when you join the workforce -- gasp -- you have to interact with people who aren't *just like you*!! Shocking I know.

Haha I'm just reading this thread and I LOLed that "Russian " is a category signifying "strange " and "not normal " 🤣 (similarly bizarre about all other "categories " too btw) what is actually wrong with people?

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 9:06 am
amother Offwhite wrote:
Haha I'm just reading this thread and I LOLed that "Russian " is a category signifying "strange " and "not normal " 🤣 (similarly bizarre about all other "categories " too btw) what is actually wrong with people?

I have heard people speak this way and I always say, “you and I are one boat ride away from being ‘a Russian Jew ‘ “
(Virtually all Ashkenazim have some ancestry from countries that ended up in USSR!!!)

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 9:21 am
If you feel like the advisors have your best interest at heart . Listen to them. Or at least listen to them more than anonymous posters here…. If they advice students year after year they probably know.

MindOverMatter

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:25 pm
A student from my DD's BY is there this year. She's a great girl. Happens to be from a solid Lakewood family with parents who are together (but as people mentioned, that's not what makes her a great kid!)
She was popular in high school, bright creative, growth oriented.
My advice is . . . . That those of us from OOT should take our well-meaning In-Town advisors' advice with a grain of salt. Many think OOT STAM is automatically "weird." Really from OOT often means (often, not always) warm, less judgie, less stuck in gashmius, and FRIENDLY.
OOT is a good thing. Smile
Have her wear it with pride. My girls go to Malka, majority In-Town, and have super healthy OOT pride. . . And their friends love them for it. It's an asset. Tell her to embrace it and wear it with pride. Smile
She will love BA. Trust me, she's going to be surrounded by "normal", wonderful and wholesome frum girls. Yashar Koach mommy, for allowing your DD to trust her gut.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 11:05 pm
My daughter is there this year and she loves it. She loves how friendly and genuine the girls are. It sounds like most girls are from Flatbush, Far Rockaway, Queens, Baltimore, Passaic. There are only a few girls from Lakewood. Her friends look like really nice solid girls, good families, very frum without being yeshivish.
My daughter loves how the girls don’t value each other based on name brands (very different than her HS experience). We highly recommend BA!

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 10:55 pm
BUMP

Is this known to be a very academic school? Or are girls that are bright but are not "top students" able to do well and appreciate the experience there?

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 11:05 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
BUMP

Is this known to be a very academic school? Or are girls that are bright but are not "top students" able to do well and appreciate the experience there?

It has high level learning, but minimal assignments. And the ones they have are largely group and collaborative. Many girls who are bright and dedicated but don't thrive under huge workloads do very well there. You have to be l'shem shamayim and dedicated to getting into the learning.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info