Home

Why am I still wearing a mask?
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


miami85




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:35 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Masks were legalized in NY due to the pandemic. But it wasn't as necessary before.


I think you mean "mandated"

NY mandated Masks in NY mid-April and yes, it looks like their numbers "go down significantly" after April, and were low all summer, that's how it became popular that "they help" but look at ANY state--Mask Mandate or not after October--and there's almost no difference in trajectory, which makes it seem like "season" had more of an effect on viral transmission rather than mask or not.
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:36 pm
No, I meant legalized.
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:38 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
You're wrong.

Between 2014 and 2017, about 2 million tickets were issued in NYC for speeding, and another 1.05 million for disobeying a traffic device. So that's about 750,000 a year? And about 250 people die in traffic accidents in NYC each year. So that means that disobeying traffic laws is highly unlikely to kill you.

So why do you think traffic laws are good?

OTOH, we KNOW that more than 1 in every 1000 Americans is DEAD from covid.

And we know that masks help stop the spread of germs.

Of course, there are NO scientific studied stating that wearing a mask is dangerous. But that's a different issue.


No, You are wrong.

If there were no speed limits or traffic lights there would be FAR more deaths and permanent injuries.

You also omitted injuries in your post about 250 traffic deaths. Head injuries also known as Traumatic
Brain Injuries (TBI) are common in car accidents and cause PERMANENT damage.

And 1 in a 1,000 Americans have NOT died from Covid. People who die from GUNSHOTS and
CAR ACCIDENTS are listed as a Covid Death.

And having your business destroyed, being forced to wear a mask is much more INTRUSIVE than
following speed limits and traffic lights!
Back to top

miami85




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
No, I meant legalized.


What do you mean by "legalized"--marijuana gets "legalized" meaning "allowed by law", masks were never "illegal" unless you mean "in a bank", they were enforced by law and that is "mandated"

If masks stop spreading germs, how did my kids all get colds in October? How did they bring home a stomach bug? If masks work, then why did the covid cases sky rocket in October in NY when they were mandated since April?
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:48 pm
Masks were illegal. This was a huge political debate before the pandemic (over whether that law actually violates 1a).
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:10 pm
Masks were illegal because they were used by robbers and kkk.

Many states have anti-mask laws.
Back to top

miami85




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:15 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Masks were illegal because they were used by robbers and kkk.

Many states have anti-mask laws.


Fine, and as they should, but they were "legalized" so that they could be "mandated". One could still "wear a mask" outside or in non-federal buildings if one chose to do so.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:32 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
No, You are wrong.

If there were no speed limits or traffic lights there would be FAR more deaths and permanent injuries.

You also omitted injuries in your post about 250 traffic deaths. Head injuries also known as Traumatic
Brain Injuries (TBI) are common in car accidents and cause PERMANENT damage.

And 1 in a 1,000 Americans have NOT died from Covid. People who die from GUNSHOTS and
CAR ACCIDENTS are listed as a Covid Death.

And having your business destroyed, being forced to wear a mask is much more INTRUSIVE than
following speed limits and traffic lights!


You make these things up as you go along. Your comment about covid deaths is clearly inaccurate. Check the excess mortality rates. https://ourworldindata.org/exc.....covid

I've PROVEN that most traffic infringements don't result in death. Provide some evidence that more than 1/1000 people who drive each year are killed as a result of traffic accidents. Because more than 1 in 1000 people in the US have DIED of covid. And your sticking your fingers in your ears and saying NO doesn't change a thing.

Businesses are not "destoyed" by wearing masks. They're "destroyed" when the owner dies because of covid.

So are families. Destroyed.
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:36 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
You make these things up as you go along. Your comment about covid deaths is clearly inaccurate. Check the excess mortality rates. https://ourworldindata.org/exc.....covid

I've PROVEN that most traffic infringements don't result in death. Provide some evidence that more than 1/1000 people who drive each year are killed as a result of traffic accidents. Because more than 1 in 1000 people in the US have DIED of covid. And your sticking your fingers in your ears and saying NO doesn't change a thing.

Businesses are not "destoyed" by wearing masks. They're "destroyed" when the owner dies because of covid.

So are families. Destroyed.


Your point was that we don't need speed limits and traffic lights because violations kill less than
1/1000.

But you OMITTED INJURIES caused by traffic accidents.

And you IGNORE that if there were no speed limit laws or traffic lights there would be far more
accidents, deaths and injuries.

Businesses are not destroyed by masks but they are destroyed by LOCKDOWNS.
Back to top

miami85




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:53 pm
Trump's point was that there was going to be no perfect solution to Covid-19 other than getting vaccinated, so wearing a mask vs. not wearing a mask didn't make a difference--other than it looks like you are doing something. Locking down vs. not Locking down--I mean a)if everyone was "not going anywhere"--even drastically reduced, and everywhere you stepped there were practically people cleaning behind you--and the common cold and stomach bugs are STILL AROUND, b)Look at Florida vs. California--their rates of virus are similar though their management was completely different. There was no way to "eradicate" the virus, and more and more people were finding ways to not live rather than wait out the virus until herd immunity could be reached. While many were "privileged" enough to be able to work from home/remotely/get paid there was a whole segment of society that couldn't. And paycheck isn't the only metric of "worth". I started getting involved in certain projects because even though I was getting paid, my mind needed to be busy and yet all I was doing all day was setting up kids' Zoom and changing diapers or fixing meals and cleaning up from meals--but my mind, was ACHING to do something. I was able to find practical and productive things to do, but I'm sure there were plenty of people who took that "ache" and did not-wise things. Mental health became a MUCH bigger crisis that "wearing a mask" doesn't fix. We cannot eliminate risks but people have to be able to do their own personal risk assessment--law enforcement can only do so much as to prevent you from actually hurting other people, but they don't outlaw sky diving, tightrope walking etc. In NYC they've tried banning large softdrinks--that didn't go over very well. They can't "ban super caloric foods"--while legalizing marajuana, but they can make you aware of how many calories something has. Whereas more and more many diets are revealing that it isn't calories alone that affect weight loss, so listing calories is kind of like wearing a mask, it looks like you are making people aware of the problem.
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:56 pm
miami85 wrote:
Trump's point was that there was going to be no perfect solution to Covid-19 other than getting vaccinated, so wearing a mask vs. not wearing a mask didn't make a difference--other than it looks like you are doing something.

Perfectionism makes no sense here.
Back to top

amother




Ivory
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 1:56 pm
Thank you Miami.
I really appreciate your insightful smart posts.
Back to top

miami85




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 2:22 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Perfectionism makes no sense here.


Back in May there was a conundrum--after 2.5 months of lockdown, many people were itching to go back to "normal" but the levels of virus were JUST starting to really get contained (which is kind of puzzling if we were expected to get it down after 2-3 weeks initially) and yet there seemed to be a "racial inequity" with the virus so we needed to lock down, but the minority communities also were the hardest hit economically because minority communities tend to have more 'hands-on" occupations--many that can't just claim unemployment. So there was a cross-roads. While Democrats were trying to make every little thing Trump said/did into a problem, when the BLM movements finally exploded, he realized there was no way to keep "lockdowns" viable anymore--the people had spoken, and chose to exercise their freedom of speech more than protect their own health. That is when Trump decided that his message was to "open with caution"--but that is when Democrats pegged him as an "insensitive racist boor who doesn't know what he's doing" so now a year later while we never expected "perfection" months ago, suddenly we keep hearing about "racial inequity" and "opening schools is racist" and "equitable distribution of vaccine". I thought Mr. Biden wanted to govern "The United States"--not red vs. blue, and yet all I hear him say is "equity" which is code word for "some states are more equal than others". It's all been a matter of "spin" and what the "message of the day is". It's like they have a "daily message" that gets distributed and suddenly all the networks are using the same phrase--if you've seen Sean Hannity or the presentation by David Schoen at the Impeachment you know what I'm talking about.
Back to top

miami85




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 3:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here.
to answer about when I wear my mask if I don't when I teach... so I work in a preschool (not as a teacher) and I wear my mask there even though most adults dont (kids dont have to). I wear it in the teachers' room and hallways in the high school where I actually teach even though almost no one wears masks.... so you can't say I should wear it cuz it's the norm. I am not the norm there.
of course I wear in public, stores...even if you're vaccinated you HAVE TO.
I meant why do I wear it in frum group settings even when no one else is. a teacher's meeting. a performance. etc.... but you know what?
thanks for the chizuk. even if others arent following what they should be doing, I am setting an example...

also as a teacher I can get the vaccine but I am nervous to. but you don't need to comment on that because there are other threads on that. lol.


I too sit in a room all day by myself most of the time and I walk in the hallways by myself, and I'm rarely 6 ft from anyone, and yet "Rules are rules" I have to wear a mask, except if I am alone in my office. Otherwise, I have to "look like I am doing something". It's referred to as "virtue signaling" Like the whole 2nd impeachment of Trump--they had to look like they were doing something so they did it even though they KNEW it wasn't going to go anywhere.
Back to top

ora_43




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 12:35 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Businesses are not destroyed by masks but they are destroyed by LOCKDOWNS.

Businesses are destroyed by whiny babies who insist that we can't have mandatory social distancing *or* mandatory masks *or* lockdowns *or* a functioning public medical system *or* a social safety net. Because all of those are socialism.
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 1:14 am
ora_43 wrote:
Businesses are destroyed by whiny babies who insist that we can't have mandatory social distancing *or* mandatory masks *or* lockdowns *or* a functioning public medical system *or* a social safety net. Because all of those are socialism.


We never had such lockdowns before - not even for smallpox, polio or 1918 flu.

Socialized Health Care means rationing and government deciding who lives and dies. You know
that "privileged" whites (and that includes Jews) will be put in BACK of the line.

Even during this vaccine roll-out, government said that minorities go first, and whites last - not
which population is most at risk.

USA is the only first country without socialized medicine and people from socialized medicine
countries (like Canada) flee here for medical care. If we destroy the world's best health care
where will WE run to when government puts us on a waiting list to die?

The Government Elites and Billionaires will get top care, but We peasants won't. That's what
happens with socialized medicine.

There can be a safety net, but per the Constitution, STATES provide the safety net, not Federal
Government.
Back to top

amother




Lilac
 

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 1:27 am
I wonder if people would so readily accept a 2% death rate if it came with a list of the names of the people who were going to die.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 Recent Topics

Page 4 of 4 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

Related Topics Replies Last Post
If situation were different, I would still...
by Revafe
1 Today at 3:58 pm View last post
[ Poll ] Wearing new clothes during sefirah 13 Yesterday at 8:59 am View last post
by etky
Tics that went away on their own- still pandas?
by amother
4 Mon, May 03 2021, 11:56 pm View last post
Funny question about everyone wearing black tights-Lakewood
by amother
89 Mon, May 03 2021, 6:15 pm View last post
Is Shlomo (Jewelry repair) 13/46th BP, still working?
by amother
3 Sun, May 02 2021, 1:18 am View last post