Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Prices of “heimish” brands have gone MAD!!!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 9:58 am
And apparently a nice majority of frum people have, too.
How else do you explain sold out sizes?
Banging head
Have you seen $52 nightgowns?
How about denim skirt, $82? DENIM, not for shabbos!! (Hello coco blanc)
I’m seriously appalled.
What have we come to?
And then beg us to shop local.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:01 am
What I find outrageous is that a toddler sneaker is selling at $155.00 and it looks like the same garbage as you’d get for $10 elsewhere.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:01 am
I totally agree. "Support local businesses" L.O.L. Charge a normal price and I'll be thrilled to support you.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
And apparently a nice majority of frum people have, too.
How else do you explain sold out sizes?
Banging head
Have you seen $52 nightgowns?
How about denim skirt, $82? DENIM, not for shabbos!! (Hello coco blanc)
I’m seriously appalled.
What have we come to?
And then beg us to shop local.

Depends where you shop and what brands. Bh in Monsey there's where to shop cheaper. My kids don't have to wear pastel pajamas. Lulu, sage, and children's outlet are perfect. You can shop local and not expensive. Not all brands are expensive.

FranticFrummie

Vote with your pocketbook.

Just say NO!

amother
Tangerine

its not new. I remember my kallah teacher recommending a certain "nightgown". I was shocked at the price!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:06 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
its not new. I remember my kallah teacher recommending a certain "nightgown". I was shocked at the price!

Womens nightgowns were always expensive, especially the fancy one's. I get teen nightgowns for myself.

Frumme

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:07 am
Mi y favorite is when frum stores sell things you can find on Amazon for much cheaper. They probably ordered from Amazon themselves in the first place LOL

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:07 am
but this wasn't a "modest" nightgown, it's was more lingerie. I ended up just buying what I liked in a non jewish store. found out that my dh doesn't even care for lingerie!

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:08 am
Frumme wrote:
Mi y favorite is when frum stores sell things you can find on Amazon for much cheaper. They probably ordered from Amazon themselves in the first place LOL

I always check Amazon while I'm in the store. I've almost never found the identical item on Amazon for cheaper.

Frumme

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:08 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Womens nightgowns were always expensive, especially the fancy one's. I get teen nightgowns for myself.

They're insanely marked up. If you buy them wholesale (if you can find...), they are a third of the price.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:10 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

It’s not new, but way too common.
And puts enormous peer pressure on people.
I’ve seen a woman buy multiple pairs of pjs for each child priced in the $40 range, and no she’s not wealthy.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:16 am
Everyone should just spend what they want to spend. It’s really no one else’s business. If you don’t have the money but find it hard not to give in to peer pressure, then work on yourself. Nobody really cares how you dress your kids. As long as they are clean and presentable your kids will be fine.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:18 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Everyone should just spend what they want to spend. It’s really no one else’s business. If you don’t have the money but find it hard not to give in to peer pressure, then work on yourself. Nobody really cares how you dress your kids. As long as they are clean and presentable your kids will be fine.

This is so not the point Rolling Eyes
And also kinda condescending, and easy for you to say when we all know you can afford it

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:20 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

I think OP's point is that we should not be pressured to shop in stores that we cannot afford to shop in. Including frum stores.

I agree with that premise. They can charge what they like.....but you won't find me breaking the bank because of some sort of "mitzva to support frum businesses"....

My own pet peeve right now is the rise in prices for Sheitels. I'm glad I don't need a new one right now. It seems to me they have tripled in price in the past 2-3 years.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:23 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
And also kinda condescending, and easy for you to say when we all know you can afford it

What is the point then?

And nobody knows what I can afford since I never said how much I earn or how much my expenses are.

Regardless, there were times that I could barely afford old navy, and then I just didn’t shop in local stores. If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. But do allow other people to spend what they want.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:24 am
Chayalle wrote:
I think OP's point is that we should not be pressured to shop in stores that we cannot afford to shop in. Including frum stores.

I agree with that premise. They can charge what they like.....but you won't find me breaking the bank because of some sort of "mitzva to support frum businesses"....

My own pet peeve right now is the rise in prices for Sheitels. I'm glad I don't need a new one right now. It seems to me they have tripled in price in the past 2-3 years.

I agree, no should be pressured to do anything they don’t want to do. And if you feel pressured, then work on yourself. That’s part of life. Not saying it’s easy.

Regarding shaitels, I just got a gorgeous shaitel for $1300. Just because other people are trying to make it the norm to spend $5000+ doesn’t mean I need to buy into that nonsense. Own your decisions, be confident.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:26 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:

How do you know what she can or can't afford? She's actually always the one posting nice finds at target, h&m, old navy...... which has really helped me alot.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:27 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
What is the point then?

And nobody knows what I can afford since I never said how much I earn or how much my expenses are.

Regardless, there were times that I could barely afford old navy, and then I just didn’t shop in local stores. If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. But do allow other people to spend what they want.

Where did anyone say that people "aren't allowed" to spend what they want?

If you can afford it, it's not my business. If it's out of your price range, shop somewhere more sensible and don't be ashamed of it.

Free will and free market go hand in hand.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 10:27 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I agree, no should be pressured to do anything they don’t want to do. And if you feel pressured, then work on yourself. That’s part of life. Not saying it’s easy.

Regarding shaitels, I just got a gorgeous shaitel for $1300. Just because other people are trying to make it the norm to spend $5000+ doesn’t mean I need to buy into that nonsense. Own your decisions, be confident.

Which brand wig did u get? I'm looking to buy a wig now.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics