Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Butcher block or Cesar stone for kitchen island/peninsula!

Which do you think is better for a kitchen table?
I prefer Cesar stone over butcher block for a kitchen table  
 80%  [ 8 ]
I prefer butcher block over Cesar stone for a kitchen table  
 20%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 10

chanchy123

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:32 pm
I hope this is in the right forum - but here goes.
We’re doing some small home improvements in our kitchen, adding a cabinet wall unit with a small counter top (Cesar stone). We will also be adding a kitchen island or rather peninsula at table height, coming out from this unit.
I envisioned a Cesar stone table to match the counter tops I already have and the new small counter top, I think it’s super practical and I like the look. My internal designer is pushing for butcher block, that’s what she has at home too. What are the pros and cons of both? What should I be thinking of?
If it makes any difference we live in Israel.

happy12

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:42 pm
How do you disinfect butcher block?

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:47 pm
I love butcher block. I prefer it anywhere.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 3:48 pm
happy12 wrote:
How do you disinfect butcher block?

Good question.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 4:06 pm
Butcher block with a natural finish (not sealed with varnish) is bacteriostatic — meaning it repels germs.

Link: https://www.rowandsons.co.uk/b.....wood/

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 4:24 pm
Rubber Ducky, would butcher block countertops hold up to a frum family's lifestyle, or are they more for show?

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 4:25 pm
There are people who are fans of butcher block but I like a solid surface - Caesarstone, Quartz, granite or marble because I can scrub it down.

I know people claim that butcher block is fine but I don't use my wooden cutting board for anything but meat which is cooked so I wouldn't feel comfortable using the butcher block for food prep.

I remodeled recently with the aid of a decorator and although she was invaluable for some stuff, I also felt fine rejecting her advice when I felt strongly about how I wanted to function in my space. She gave up hounding me to get rid of the toaster oven I keep on the counter because it is ugly LOL But I feel ridiculous heating up a large oven for a small item.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 5:21 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Rubber Ducky, would butcher block countertops hold up to a frum family's lifestyle, or are they more for show?

For show? No. It's for hard use as a prep area, but you need to position the butcher block away from sinks and ranges.

I have a maple butcher block island — no sink, no cooktop, and really hot food from the oven goes on a cooling rack. I cut on it daily. It certainly looks used and is full of little scratches, but I've been very happy with it. I occasionally wipe it down dry-looking areas with a parafin-beeswax oil mix, and once a year (in a week or 2) I give it a facial — lots of that moisturizer and then cover it for Pesach.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 5:23 pm
So it's not good for countertops then. It would have contact with sinks and ovens if it was. Oh well, another dream dies...

chanchy123

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 2:34 am
Crookshanks wrote:
So it's not good for countertops then. It would have contact with sinks and ovens if it was. Oh well, another dream dies...

I'm specifically looking for a table/island surface. It has no contact with sinks or stove.

etky

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 3:07 am
I like hard-wearing, polished surfaces that I can scrub down for countertops but if we're talking about what is basically a table then the butcher block should be fine for that purpose. Aesthetically speaking it could add warmth to the kitchen as well as some interest. How would it go with the overall vibe of your kitchen?

chanchy123

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 3:48 am
It would go well with the design of the kitchen. But I'm not the world's best housekeeper. I really want my surfaces to be easy to clean and keep up, because they might be dirty and messy for a couple of days before I get around to giving them a clean. But I am tempted by the look of the butcher. I need her to get back to me about the price differences before I decide.

etky

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 4:02 am
chanchy123 wrote:
It would go well with the design of the kitchen. But I'm not the world's best housekeeper. I really want my surfaces to be easy to clean and keep up, because they might be dirty and messy for a couple of days before I get around to giving them a clean. But I am tempted by the look of the butcher. I need her to get back to me about the price differences before I decide.

So going by what Rubberducky says about the antimicrobial qualities of the butcher block, maybe that is actually the better choice from a hygiene POV? Aesthetically speaking, I don't think there's a reason the butcher would look messier than the other surfaces.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 4:07 am
etky wrote:
So going by what Rubberducky says about the antimicrobial qualities of the butcher block, maybe that is actually the better choice from a hygiene POV? Aesthetically speaking, I don't think there's a reason the butcher would look messier than the other surfaces.
The Butcher block will be coming from the Arab carpenter my designer works with. Not sure about any regulations and standards.

etky

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 4:13 am
chanchy123 wrote:
The Butcher block will be coming from the Arab carpenter my designer works with. Not sure about any regulations and standards.

Hmm..
BTW I just remembered that there are also faux-marble and granite-porcelain surfaces that imitate the look of Butcher block for those who want the look and warmth of wood but the easy maintenance and durability of washable, sealed surfaces. They're probably quite expensive though....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics