Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Cauliflower “Couscous”

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 08 2021, 4:06 pm
I made this using pre-made cauliflower "rice" to save prep time and it was good although I guess technically it is then a cauliflower risotto LOL

This was a great side dish especially since it sneaks in a lot of veggies. No reason not to sub olive oil for butter for parve but butter does have a distinctive taste if dairy is okay

Cauliflower “Couscous”

Makes 8 servings

Excerpt From: Joanna Gaines - Magnolia Table, Volume 2

Cook: 15 minutes
cool: none

Couscous is typically cooked a little soft for my taste, and while that may very well be the way it’s traditionally prepared, I wanted to develop a version for this book that had a bit more of a crunch and freshness to it. Our take is flexible for every season. I’ll toss in dried cranberries in the spring and dried apricots in the fall, and it’s equally delicious served cold or warm.

½ cup dried cranberries
1 cup boiling water
8 cups cauliflower florets (about 3¾ pounds, from 2 medium heads)
3 tablespoons salted butter
¼ cup thinly sliced shallot (about 1 small)
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups finely chopped stemmed kale leaves (about one 5-ounce bunch)
½ cup chopped almonds
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
½ cup chopped green onions

1. In a small heatproof bowl, combine the cranberries and boiling water. Let stand until the fruit is softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, working in batches of about 2 cups of florets, process the cauliflower in a food processor until very finely chopped (about the size of couscous), about 10 seconds. Process any large remaining pieces with the next batch. Pour into a bowl and repeat with all the cauliflower.

3. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 1½ minutes. Stir in the cauliflower and spread it into a single layer. Cook undisturbed for 5 minutes, until the bottom is slightly browned. Stir, then cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender, about 2 minutes.

4. Stir in the drained cranberries, kale, ¼ cup of the almonds, and the salt. Cover and cook until the kale is slightly tender and bright green, about 2 minutes. Add the vinegar and stir to combine. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, cover, and keep warm.

5. To the skillet, add the green onions, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and remaining ¼ cup almonds and cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted, about 1 minute.

6. Serve the couscous warm, topped with the green onion/almond mixture.

TIP: If the couscous comes out a little dark, add 2 teaspoons of sherry to brighten it up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes