Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Lets get Organized -support group
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 7:30 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It includes useless or cluttering.
So if I'm putting away my kids' laundry and I see a severely stained shirt or something in my fridge that my family is just not eating or books or toys that aren't used, I'd include that.

Before this thread started, yesterday I threw out (none of my kids are around, right? 👀 ) some older crafts they made that were yom tov centerpieces once upon a time, ponytail holders that didn't stay in their hair, a white bow that was more gray than white, etc...

love this idea! following...for me its a constant tidy and throw throw out whatever has no home or no usasge... I use to be a huge hoarder- and still am, the thrill of letting go throwing out and making place in my house for brachos and yeshuos, love it- sometimes I feel like I'm on a mission- Hatzlacha everyone- its the best feeling- as hard as it is!

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok. So how about get rid of any ten things? In the other thread, someone said get rid of 50%of your stuff. ?
No, she didn't. She said get rid of 10% of your stuff, then another 10% until you're down to a level you can tolerate. Some people need to get rid of 75% of their stuff, while others would be fine with just 25%.

Most people are messy because they have too much stuff, but some people are just slobs and would be living in a pigsty if all they possessed was one coffee mug, a spare pair of pants and sunglasses.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:50 am
I'm in! I have a very hard time letting go of my kids clothes, even if they are unlikely to fit anyone at the right time or if they are stained... I really have to work on this!
Especially because I don't really have space to store it all
Also random items that I always think I will need at some point

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:04 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
No, she didn't. She said get rid of 10% of your stuff, then another 10% until you're down to a level you can tolerate. Some people need to get rid of 75% of their stuff, while others would be fine with just 25%.

Most people are messy because they have too much stuff, but some people are just slobs and would be living in a pigsty if all they possessed was one coffee mug, a spare pair of pants and sunglasses.

I dont know which thread you are talking about. In the thread "if you used to be a hopeless mess" the person recommended to get rid of 50%. In any case, you are right, the percentage is not the point..most people need to eliminate stuff in order to get neater. And the trick it to be consistent.
My issue is that I have had so many fots of organizing but it always comes undone, and this demoralizes me.
Im the type of person who likes to do something and know its done. Not have to keep going back and redo the same job every day...
To the poster who said let's start after Pesach, maybe that would work for you. But I know that if I wait until after Pesach, it may never happen. I like to use opportunitues to motivate me..getting ready for Pesach is a great motivator to getting the house in shape.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:05 am
I’ve been on a decluttering journey for about 6 months now. I’m in! I have a ton of stuff to donate to Goodwill today but am hoping to fill at least 2 more bags before I go. I’m planning to work on my bedroom and hall closet today.

My house is becoming much more manageable and peaceful BH.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I’ve been on a decluttering journey for about 6 months now. I’m in! I have a ton of stuff to donate to Goodwill today but am hoping to fill at least 2 more bags before I go. I’m planning to work on my bedroom and hall closet today.

My house is becoming much more manageable and peaceful BH.

Wow! You people are all giving me so much chizzuk! So happy for you that you have managed to take control of your messes. Iy"H by me!! Very Happy

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow! You people are all giving me so much chizzuk! So happy for you that you have managed to take control of your messes. Iy"H by me!! Very Happy

What’s our area of the day OP?

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:16 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
I would love to join, but I am not consistent enough to do anything every day.

I am on a roll right now from the past week though! I cleaned out a closet that has been so overstuffed for years that my kids didn't recognize the floor, my son's bedroom that was so bad he was sleeping somewhere else, and donated about 10 big garbage bags of clothes. I organized the baby clothes that were upstairs into labeled tubs and even did some laundry!

That's fine. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. If your energy ebbs and flows, take advantage of those energy surges when they happen. As long as the job gets done, it doesn't matter if it happens little by little or all at once.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:20 am
Amen, OP! I definitely have a way to go but things are already so much better.

For people looking for ideas of what areas to declutter, I recommend clearing out areas that you’ll use to store Pesach supplies. That way you can start shopping now and have that peace of mind. Freezer, cabinets or shelves that you use on Pesach, that kind of thing. For me that includes our van since it’s messy and we have to bring home a lot of matza and other groceries in it this weekend.

syrima

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:22 am
I'm in to try....I didn't really declutter last spring because all the kids were home but now its time!
I'm putting on my apron and gloves! Watch out!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:29 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
What’s our area of the day OP?

I posted it last night.
The front closet.
(You can obviously do any area you want, but I thought it would be fun if we all work on the same area )
Let us all know when you have completed these two tasks!
Im gonna start as soon as I put little munchkin down for a nap...

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 9:37 am
I am having a hard time with my clothes. What do you keep & what do you give away?
Most stuff in my closet don't fit well, I put those in the back for when I lose weight. Problem is I need mostly a back closet only.
Thing is I used to give away what doesn't fit, right away, but when I lost weight, I didn't have what to wear & didn't want to buy new ones until I lost more significant weight, so I got stuck in the in between stage.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:21 pm
dankbar wrote:
I am having a hard time with my clothes. What do you keep & what do you give away?
Most stuff in my closet don't fit well, I put those in the back for when I lose weight. Problem is I need mostly a back closet only.
Thing is I used to give away what doesn't fit, right away, but when I lost weight, I didn't have what to wear & didn't want to buy new ones until I lost more significant weight, so I got stuck in the in between stage.

I have the same issue...(sigh). Right now im at my heaviest stage, so in just wearing stuff I wore in early preganancy.
I'm finally beginning to lose weight now that I am not nursing exclusively.
But I think that when I lose some weight, I will want to buy a few new things, as I go along. Like every 10-15 lbs, perhaps deserves a new top.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:24 pm
So how did everyone do today?

I threw away a lot of things. At least 30.
I started cleaning my front closet but it was actually too big of a job and 3i got exhausted midway thru..it is my catch-all closet.
So I plan to continue that tomorrow.
Plus, I will work on a smaller, more managebale area.
I want to to declutter my kids bathroom.
Would love to hear how everyine did today.

professor

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:28 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I came here thinking I could always improve but.....10 broken things per day? Wow, I hope you find your people and support each other and get stuff done. I can't imagine having that much broken stuff cluttering my place up. This group is too....remedial?... for me. Best wishes! It's a good goal to make.

Hey! I throw away more than 10 broken stuff a day all year long and my house is still cluttered. Don't judge.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:29 pm
dankbar wrote:

Me too.
As I wrote on the other thread, I wish someone could help me with my clothes closet. I can throw out anything, dishes we don't need, decor that starts to bother me, we give away toys all the time, getting rid of kids clothes, except my own clothes. I kind of just wish I had the guts to pick out what I wear and have somebody get rid of the rest when I'm not looking. I have so many pieces that I love that I want to still fit into. I know it's denial. And because these are my treasures that I amassed after living in hand me downs growing up.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:41 pm
I already went through my dresses, and I also have trouble usually with different sizes and deciding what to keep. This time I gave away almost everything of the smallest size I was before having any kids.

I didn’t see the post about about the front closet so I organizing my kitchen counters, I still had a bunch of Purim stuff out. But then I was running late for an appointment. Do any of the rest of you struggle with time management as well as organization?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:41 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Me too.
As I wrote on the other thread, I wish someone could help me with my clothes closet. I can throw out anything, dishes we don't need, decor that starts to bother me, we give away toys all the time, getting rid of kids clothes, except my own clothes. I kind of just wish I had the guts to pick out what I wear and have somebody get rid of the rest when I'm not looking. I have so many pieces that I love that I want to still fit into. I know it's denial. And because these are my treasures that I amassed after living in hand me downs growing up.

I think this is quite common.

Many years ago, I paid a friend (who is also a prpffessional shopper) to help me with my wardrobe. (I am a terrible shopper).

The first thing she did was come to my house. She had me remove every article of clothing, and try on each and every thing. She "paskened" whetherkts a keeper or not.

She threw out 95 percent of what I owned. At the end we had many large balck garbage bags. She took them in her car to donate ti a gemach (so that I shouldnt go into the bags afterwards and fish out the clothes.)

After that we went shopping, and she helped me find amazing outfits that fit my body type. It was really incredible because its been many years, and I still enjoy those clothes.

So this might be kind of extreme for you, but if you have a friend that you trust their judgement and would be ready to submit to their judgment, they could help you purge those clothes you will never wear ahain or thatbdint look good on you.

Fact is that styles change. So even if I were to ever go back to my sheva brachos weight, those things are totally out of style by now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:44 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I already went through my dresses, and I also have trouble usually with different sizes and deciding what to keep. This time I gave away almost everything of the smallest size I was before having any kids.

I didn’t see the post about about the front closet so I organizing my kitchen counters, I still had a bunch of Purim stuff out. But then I was running late for an appointment. Do any of the rest of you struggle with time management as well as organization?

Yes totally.
Time management, procrastination, forgetfulness...they all come together.

The hardest part for me are papers. I have buckets and buckets of ramdom papers, mail, clippings, to do lists etc. Many of these things require action (like paying a bill) or followup...its so hard to keep on top of the paper situation.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 8:59 pm
I didn't get as much done as I had hoped to because my boss had a sudden crisis she needed me to drop everything and handle (I work from home). But I still spent about 20 minutes decluttering my bedroom and 15 minutes decluttering the closet. Didn't make it to Goodwill but I organized the bags so everything is ready and not mixed in with stuff I need to keep. Also pre-cleaned my van so dh can vacuum it out this weekend. It's crumb-y but everything has been taken out of it and put away properly (Purim debris, school papers, random socks, toys, books, old lunch containers), now it just needs a good scrub. And, I stayed on top of supper and dishes, and did a load of laundry, so I'll definitely call that a win! Two of my kids just went into quarantine due to exposure so tomorrow will be busy. Planning to take some "me" time tonight with a tea and a relaxing book after I put the kids to bed.

Congrats on the steps you all took today!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics