Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
What exactly does TAG allow and not allow?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

sequoia

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 8:47 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Who met who online?

You and your husband.

Cookin4days

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 9:04 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Yep on a private bus to a wedding. I was calling back a prospective boss. I wanted to start working again in a home and kids started throwing cards at me from every direction, it was really nerve wracking.
It was all Yiddish so I couldn’t read it but the images I saw were burned into my brain. I think they’re called shomrim cards.

I’m still scared to even order an Uber...

Here people have all types of phones, and have no problems...nobody threw cards at me so far and really hope it doesn’t happen again! I also refuse to take out my phone at a simcha or something like that.

That’s horrible !! Where were the parents oh my goodness

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 9:43 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
You think? I never bring my phone or take my phone out in places like willi or KY. I’ve had cards thrown at me by the little kids when I didn’t know any better so that’s why I’m verrrrrrrryyyyyyy hesitant to tell people *WHY* I need WhatsApp and social media. Never mind that I also use YouTube to look up Mexican recipes or recipes from El Salvador and kosherize them in my home and laugh at relatable videos.
The entertainment part is more hard to explain to someone who was born in that kind of life.

I only watch by myself, though. I do show my husband funny memes, like the one about someone taking out the metal tongs and clicking them before you use it lol and if someone doesn’t do that then I won’t trust them with my food lol.

So it’s tricky I guess.
Some of my friends in real life told me I should get a flip phone and leave the other one at home and use that.

I live in willi and have a filtered smartphone . Same with my family members living here . Tons and tons of people in willi have smartphones and use it in public.
My phone was filtered through tag and I still have whatsapp and can still face time and video call. That's not a problem with the filter

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 9:48 pm
Cookin4days wrote:

Obviously no parents. The shomrim cards made some children really misbehave. It was crazy. My parents never allowed them in the house because they were too graphic. And my parents don't have smartphones.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 10:51 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
You just have to explain your situation to the mosdos, and explain why you have WhatsApp etc.
there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rules.

I don't know....
I have WhatsApp and send my kids to regular, good, very chassidish schools and didn't have to explain anything to anyone. I just sign that my device is filtered by TAG.

If you want to send to a place like Rachmastrivka, you might have an issue with your device because they really control you. I think it's a fantastic school but don't think it's for you. There are plenty of other middle ground, fine, chassidish schools that can work for you.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 11:00 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
It’s actually the same way here in Lakewood. When I first got married I really frummed out (and I’ve always been ffb and yeshivish, but my in laws were so much more than I was and I guess I felt like I had something to prove) I’m now back to what Amelia bedelia classified as “neutral”. Which is more common in Lakewood than bp but if you hang out in certain neighborhoods here you’d never know it. I’d suggest you find good frum people living in bp, leading the sort of lifestyle that you really want, and see how they find that balance. That will give you a better idea of what you want for yourself. Your particular block isn’t necessarily a good role model for you.

Lol, I think you may have misunderstood me. The "neutral" I meant is not Lakewood style. I meant how Hashem and Farfel described herself:
No sheitel covering
Human hair and shoulder length wig
Dark opaque pantyhose
Skirts few inches below the knee
Non-attracting, non-revealing clothes
Filtered smartphone
But otherwise looking like a typical chassidish woman

And the schools I was referring to, are more neutral, as in many of the students come from different chassiduses. But still very chassidish.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 11:22 pm
sequoia wrote:
You and your husband.

Yep! We did. He had an android cuz the guy who took him under his wing when he got to Williamsburg told him to go on the internet to find a shiduch.

After we got engaged he chucked the phone riiight before our wedding.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 11:23 pm
Cookin4days wrote:

🤷‍♀️

I was sitting right in front nobody did nothing. Maybe something WAS said but I guess I’ll never know

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 11:30 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I live in willi and have a filtered smartphone . Same with my family members living here . Tons and tons of people in willi have smartphones and use it in public.
My phone was filtered through tag and I still have whatsapp and can still face time and video call. That's not a problem with the filter

When I lived there I used it publicly then I’d get the nastiest stares (because NOBODY in chasidish tichel would use that kind of phone in public...) and I wouldn’t care cuz they don’t know me. After the card throwing incident, I always hesitated to use my phone in public and absolutely refused to take out my phone on a bus, at a simcha, basically anywhere where people can really see what I’m doing (even tho half the people aren't even looking at my direction but still). In general I don’t use my phone at simchas or any place I’m invited because I was raised to “live in the moment” and when I’m invited to somewhere it’s insulting to the hosts when a guest is tapping away on the phone. I only take it out if there is an emergency or I need an Uber home. So far no emergencies but I ordered an Uber when I needed it.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Mar 10 2021, 11:33 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Obviously no parents. The shomrim cards made some children really misbehave. It was crazy. My parents never allowed them in the house because they were too graphic. And my parents don't have smartphones.

I still have the image of a person with a horse head in my head more than 2 years later. I wouldn’t allow them in my house either to be honest...
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics