Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Games that have broken boxes

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 10:49 am
What do you guys do with boxes that are broken, where do you keep the games?
I checked Amazon for replacement empty boxes, but looks like it’s not a standard item.
Please share your ideas!

GLUE

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 10:56 am
Can you tape up the boxes?

hodeez

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:01 am
Put it in a ziplock and store where the other games are

flowerpower

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:02 am
I tape up the boxes. I like the look of games in their original boxes. Makes it more exciting.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:09 am
So I’m talking about the ones that have boxes that are gone, not possible to tape anymore.

I’m currently using large Ziploc bags but it makes my shelves look very messy. I like when the boxes are piled neatly.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:11 am
I bought vinyl zippered bags. And store them in boxes.
Not as neat but easier to store.

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:13 am
Depends on the game. You can either buy a container the size as the board/biggest part. You can stack those easily on the same shelf as the rest of the games. Or, if the game is cheap enough, (Candyland, chute and ladders etc) just buy a whole new game. The cost of the right size container is just about the same as buying a new game ($7-$10)

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:16 am
If you have several, you can put them in stackable plastic drawers like these:

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 11:19 am
This problem annoys me as well.

I have not tried this yet, but was thinking of buying a qt of polyurethane - about $11.

This is used to put a protective finish on furniture. You paint it on and when it dries it forms a
hard plastic finish.

This would turn these thin cardboard game boxes into more durable plastic game boxes.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:10 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

I have not tried this yet, but was thinking of buying a qt of polyurethane - about $11.

This is used to put a protective finish on furniture. You paint it on and when it dries it forms a
hard plastic finish.

This would turn these thin cardboard game boxes into more durable plastic game boxes.

Not really. Not unless you painted on layer upon layer of PU, like the dozens of layers of lacquer painted on some Japanese furniture and boxes. One or two coats will make the boxes water-resistant, that's about it. It won't keep them from breaking at the corners.

I would wrap the vertical sides of the box and lid in brightly-colored duct tape the minute I buy the game, BEFORE the box tears.

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 12:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I’m talking about the ones that have boxes that are gone, not possible to tape anymore.

I’m currently using large Ziploc bags but it makes my shelves look very messy. I like when the boxes are piled neatly.

Get a box or bin like a dishpan or whatever size works, and "file" the bags on end in the bin that you then store on the shelf. Piling things one on top of the other will always end up being messy, because:
1. unless the items are all perfectly flat and aligned, the pile will eventually lean to one side or the other, and, ultimately, do an impression of a mudslide on a California mountain;
2. unless the items are thick enough for you to label the "spines", the only way to see what's what is to move the items out of alignment;
3. Even if you can read the spine, removing an item from the middle of a stack results in the whole stack becoming misaligned.

By "filing" items vertically in a bin, you can simply flip through them and remove the one you want without deranging the rest--and even if they are not perfectly aligned, it doesn't matter because the bin holds them in place.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 2:30 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
If you have several, you can put them in stackable plastic drawers like these:

This is what I do, and the boards go on top of next to on the shelf. My kids then pull out a drawer at a time (also keeps the piled up boxes from getting messed up when you pull out a lower one!)

silverlining3

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:22 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....c3f8b

Works great for most games.

honey36

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:34 pm
https://www.theorganizingshopp.....lenty

professor

Post Tue, Mar 09 2021, 5:35 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

hard plastic finish.

I love this idea! Will do it next time I buy a game.
Meanwhile, I will follow for ideas on games that didn't lose all their pieces yet
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics